Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI left handed grip

RickyH

<_< I want a left handed comb for my hair :P

I am Right hand and for many years as in 10 + I used a right side mag button so that I could use my trigger finger to drop the mag.

Most of the Lefty's I know beet my pants off on a reload by using a reg left side button and their trigger finger to drop the mag.

Shred has some video posted some place.

I can do a left hand grip. It will look just like a right hand grip but will have a Billy Mitchell mag release on it. Billy has the best wrong side mag release I have ever seen, worth the effort to get in touch with him.----------Larry

Do they make left handed grip for a sti 2011? i was told they do but can't find one.

Just use the trigger finger to drop the mag, no benefit switching to a left handed grip or mag release.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

I am left handed and find that using my trigger finger to drop the mags works very well for me.

The big advantage is that I can drop mags without shifting my grip on the gun.

I have owned pistols such as an XD-9 with an ambi mag release and still chose to drop the mag just as I do on a 1911/2011.

There is a bit of a problem though.

I couldn't begin to use a mag button.

A button would be too close to my trigger finger and I would be dropping mags by accident.

Even without the button I still occasionally drop a mag when I didn't mean to.

This doesn't happen often but can occur in situations that rattle the gun and shooter such as going prone.

Even so, I am so used to engaging the mag release with my trigger finger that I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

If you're starting with a ready gun on table, you won't accidentally drop a mag. And, when you're making a mag change, there's no way you can have your finger on the trigger :D

I'm left handed also, and actually use the middle finger of my left hand to hit the mag release and never have a problem. I have the Brazos Cyclone mag release button and love it. I wouldn't even want the release on the other side any more. I guess it just depends what works for you but it is certainly worth playing with because it can easily be done.

Edited by Right2Bear

+1 for Tony's reply.

I'm left handed (in fact, there's a pic of me shooting that Tony took somewhere....) and use my trigger finger to release mags. It's very easy, wastes no time, and most importantly, was SIMPLE to adjust to after shooting an XD with my thumb dropping the mags. Honestly took no time at all to adjust to.

I also don't use a big button.

I was going to look into getting one on the right side, but after I tried the one it came with, I saw no need to change.

As a lefty you can't Dq'ed for your finger in the trigger guard during a reload if the button is on the left. just shave the stipple where your trigger finger rubs against the grip to keep the skin on your finger..

I had an HK w ambis and I used the left. With an SI gun you can easily hit the mag release w your left finger and is the fastest way to me. now if they just made a lefty slide! ;)

buy the sti big release button then grind it to come forward rather than rearward and you'll have the fastest mag release available. Increase the spring pressure a little and you won't have problems with drops

I have never seen a STI LH grip. I vaguely remember hearing rumors of an SV one, but unless you go with one of the backwards-acting mag releases like the Mitchell, there's not enough room in the frame to hold the important parts, and you would have to modify all your magazines. If you did go with one of the backwards mag buttons, there's no need for a LH grip... thus I think they're about as common as rocking horse poop.