Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 .38 super last weekend started throwing rounds randomly

slidelock1

I have a STI .38 super, Limcat version. It has been shooting tight groups with my regular load for months (1" @ 25 yds) until last weekend when the rounds started roaming all over the target in a 10-15" pattern. I have checked the C-more mounts which are tight; I have checked the C-more which seemed solid and even tried a replacement C-more with zero success. I have tried different loads and bullets with no success. The barrel is solid, I even replaced a loose barrel link, the comp. is tight, and the barrel/slide fit is tight. I cannot detect any cracks in the grip and the trigger remains where I set it five months ago at a little less than two pounds. I cleaned the barrel, checked for problems at the muzzle and cannot detect anything that would affect accuracy. I have tried everything that I can think of. HELP, WHAT AM I MISSING???

Look VERY closely at the baffles on the comp for copper marks, if you have cleaned it since shooting you might not see them. If everything else is in order it is likely bullets hitting the comp.

Look VERY closely at the baffles on the comp for copper marks, if you have cleaned it since shooting you might not see them. If everything else is in order it is likely bullets hitting the comp.

+1

Had this happen on my tanfog gold. baffles were underbored from the factory so the bullets hit the first comp chamber. Killed accuracy and sent copper shavings everywhere

+1

If you have lead build up in the comp this will happen too. If it's a Lim... I'm betting on lead.

+1

If you have lead build up in the comp this will happen too. If it's a Lim... I'm betting on lead.

The comp is clean. I've been shooting nothing but Montana Gold bullets, so lead would not be a problem. I even removed the comp but the results were the same - horrible!

And looking at it from a different direction, make sure the scope mount and scope are attached tightly. Anything even a little bit loose on the sight?

I had a similar problem last year. Turned out to be a cracked scope mount. It was a very old Red Buff mount on a Para with a Tasco ProPoint. Initially it was cracked on the inside hidden by the slide. Finally worked it way through to the outside. Was a little confusing how it shot a little worse each weekend.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back. We had a little fire scare in the foothills here in central California. I took the scope mount off the frame and CANNOT find any cracks in it. Has anybody else got any ideas to try to fix this beast?

Ammo?

When I started reloading .38 Super I had some frustrating variations on the chrono. Turns out some of my brass (A-Merc) was so bad the bullets could move around in the casings. It's not hard to imagine other issues that could affect accuracy.

Some questions:

1. Does it do the same spread with someone else's ammo ?

2. Does the spread occur when bench resting, ie. wedge the gun down into a sandbag and fire 3 shots without shifting aim, if the rounds still form a wide spread then it's not the scope. If they are a tighter group then there is a scope problem.

3. Are the holes round in the target ? If they are oval then the bullet may be tumbling, check crimp. If the holes are misshapen then there may be some separation of case from bullet though this is unlikely with Montana Gold.

4. Measure the diameter of the bullet, is it .355 or .356 ? If it's .355 see if you can try some .356, maybe your barrel is worn...

5. With an empty gun and the hammer down, try wiggling the comp and the hood of the barrel, is there any movement, if there is then the lugs could be rounded.

Try all that then report back... I'm sure there's a solution.

If it did it with the comp off and the scope with mount don't have any problems then the barrel is toast, the slide is cracked, or something like that. Do you have a good 1911 smith that you trust within a reasonable drive?

The only other relatively simple thing is a big ding in the crown...