Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Camera Recommendation

Nik,

I was going to PM you this... but then thought maybe someone else might learn from it too.

In Curves... Do you always work in RGB? Or might you select Green if you need to lighted up only the green area on a Slide-Glide Tub label?

In "Options," in "Algorithms" which do you select?

Enhance Monochromatic Contrast

Enhance Per Channel Contrast

Find Dark and Light Colors

?

Mine was set to Enhance Per Channel Contrast.

It also looks like you can select Target Colors & Clippings, if you want to Curve something other than B&W/Gray. And both boxes in Target Colors & Clippings are set to 50%. ?

And since you didn't mention the Contrast or Saturation tools, do you use them much or at all?

Thanks Nik,

be

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nik,

I was going to PM you this... but then thought maybe someone else might learn from it too.

In Curves... Do you always work in RGB? Or might you select Green if you need to lighted up only the green area on a Slide-Glide Tub label?

For individual color adjustments,I prefer to work in selective color first, then in Hue/Saturation. In both I use the dropdown menu at the top to select individual colors. Talking about selective color first: I use it often, because it offers more choices than RGB, and because often the color shifts are in the reds or yellows --- even though you might be thinking that the blues or greens are off. In other words, your eyes may be fooling you. Best advice I can give you, is to play with a few images of different stuff --- you can learn pretty quickly what needs which adjustments. The golden rule is that the picture should look better when you're done, without appearing to have been heavily worked.

It's very easy to kill a picture with Hue/Saturation. Same sort of rules apply -- play with it -- but minor changes can have major effects on appearance. Sometimes, when you just can't an annoying red to look right, you can remove a little saturation, and then brighten it a little in curves, to make it less noticeable and annoying.

I don't know if I mentioned this --- but I use a lasso or the pen tool to select real problem areas. The Apple + H command will make the selection lines disappear for you while keeping the area selected(they're still invisible in the background; toggling Apple H again will make them visible again); having them invisible will let you see how your changes are affecting the area outside the selection, so you can avoid halos or ghosting.

In "Options," in "Algorithms" which do you select?

Enhance Monochromatic Contrast

Enhance Per Channel Contrast

Find Dark and Light Colors

?

Mine was set to Enhance Per Channel Contrast.

It also looks like you can select Target Colors & Clippings, if you want to Curve something other than B&W/Gray. And both boxes in Target Colors & Clippings are set to 50%. ?

And since you didn't mention the Contrast or Saturation tools, do you use them much or at all?

I don't mess around with the options --- because they appear to change the settings for Autocurves --- which I never use. Brightness/Contrast is a lot like Hue/Saturation --- it's easy to kill a photo with the B/C twins; using curves --- and putting multiple dots on the curve works better for me. Adding a top and a bottom point to curve with a rough center point allows you to pull up the midtones --- center point --- pull the highlights up a little more, wheile pulling the shadows down a little. The end result will look like a soft cursive letter S --- and depending on where exactly you put/slide the points will allow you to finetune brightness and contrast in one adjustment with better results.

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to a friend last weekend. He used to shoot products for web sites and catalogs, professionally. He volunteered to shoot the products for me, but I told him I wanted to learn to do it myself. He said in that case, I absolutely had to have an SLR camera, and the best/cheapest one is the Nikon D40. He said I need an SLR so I can replace the lense with a Macro lense, which he said is essential for what I want to do. So I'll be heading back over to Best Buy.

My girlfriend's digital camera is literally falling apart, so she'll be pretty excited about her new Canon A 590. It's a great little camera.

Ouch - the cheapest 60mm Macro lense I found on Best Buy is $549 big ones. So I'll have over a grand in this setup. Maybe I will head on over to my buddies house.

:o

be

With the prevalence of really really nice P&S cameras out there, I don't agree that you need an SLR. Sure, some things are easier, but with the tips and ideas you've been given in this thread, you should be able to do stuff that works just fine for web sales of products.

Who's the friend - and why does he think you need $1k+ in gear to take shots for web? Its not like you're making double-truck catalog shots or something... ;)

In fact, she doesn't know it yet, but my wife is getting a new Canon P&S for her birthday in a couple weeks. I'll take some shots w/ it and you can compare... ;)

Edited by XRe

Brian,

I'm with Dave --- right until you get to the point where you want to shoot product shots for print advertising. When you reach that point, I'll point out that it will be more economical for you to hire someone (Hi Yamil) than it will for you to spend the time it would take to learn to be Yamil's equal. That'll be time better spent on growing your business....

By all means take your friend up on his offer. Then take your best shot at duplicating the image with the point and shoot. Size them both the same and place them on a webpage. Ask some people if they can tell a difference, and if they can tell which is which....

I was talking to a friend last weekend. He used to shoot products for web sites and catalogs, professionally. He volunteered to shoot the products for me, but I told him I wanted to learn to do it myself. He said in that case, I absolutely had to have an SLR camera, and the best/cheapest one is the Nikon D40. He said I need an SLR so I can replace the lense with a Macro lense, which he said is essential for what I want to do. So I'll be heading back over to Best Buy.

My girlfriend's digital camera is literally falling apart, so she'll be pretty excited about her new Canon A 590. It's a great little camera.

Ouch - the cheapest 60mm Macro lense I found on Best Buy is $549 big ones. So I'll have over a grand in this setup. Maybe I will head on over to my buddies house.

:o

be

Brian,

Listen to Nik and Dave. But if you must do it yourself, check out B&H before you spend too much for overpriced outdated equipment from Best Buy. ;)

The Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Micro is $395 at B&H

B&H Link

Edited by AikiDale

Thanks all! I really appreciate that feedback. I kinda felt it myself, so it was good to hear. And yes, I think his expertise was in catalog quality prints. He knows little about the web/pics.

The sad thing is I already told my girlfriend she could have my new Canon.

:goof:

But maybe she'll let me borrow it.

And thanks for the B&H reminder - I've got lots of good deals from them in the past. Their site is awesome.

be

On page 1 of this thread I suggested a Nikon D40 or D80 from Costco. I have a D80 and love it. They have packages with both models and they include upgraded lenses. My opinion is that most of the value of a good camera is in the lens and you just don't get really good glass with a P&S camera. I suggested costco because they have the absolute best 90 day no questions asked cash refund.

Thanks Larry. I hear you loud and clear on the Costco thing. I bought what I thought was a color laser printer from them online. But it was only a black and white printer (it was mis-advertised). So I drove it over to my local Costco, did some shopping and returned it. And they gave me back cash for it. I liked that return deal.

I discovered an interesting rip-off scheme today while shopping for digital cameras and accessories online. So if you ever buy digital cameras online, check out this email I sent to a friend.

Here's a weird memory thing. A 2 GB SD memory card on:

http://www.lensesnmore.com/prodshelf.asp?dept_id=10242

...is $200! And their site has the CHEAPEST price for the Nikon D40 and Macro lens, but they want 200 bucks for a memory card.

A 2 GB SD memory card on bandhphoto is only $30!

And even weirder - broadwayphoto (had the camera and lens for almost as cheap as lensesnmore) only has 1 choice for any SD memory card, and it's a 1 GB, for $200!

So, I was getting ready to order, trying to decide which site to buy from. I didn't really like the feeling I got from either site. So I googled, and check out the result!!:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

I'm happy I went with my gut feeling and didn't buy. Totally explains the "advertise the camera super cheap but memory is 10x the price is should be" on their sites. Nuts.

But through all that I found the buydig.com site. Which I never found before, and they seem to have really good deals on EVERYTHING. And their customer reviews on pricegrabber.com were great. 5 stars w/25,000 reviews. B&H of course is also 5 stars, but w/10,000 reviews.

be

There's a lot of rip-off artists up in NYC who like to pull fun stuff. If you order a cam from them at those cheap prices, and manage to get through the sales process without ordering any way-over-priced accessories, they charge your card, and then delay-delay-delay on sending your camera to you (if you ever see it).

I've never used buydig.com, so I have no experience there... Out of all the camera specific stores, B&H beats everyone, IMO (and I've bought from all the big houses). Roberts does a good job, too, it seems. The others have all managed to pull some kind of bonehead BS along the way, so I stopped ordering from them. Dell.com can actually be a good place to shop for basic camera stuff, I'm told (cameras, lenses, etc).

In general, your gut is right - if it looks too good to be true... it is...

FWIW, I've gone through all that research who has the best price. Even tried dealing with those NY shops and just ending up cancelling the order. Big plus on B&H even if you find it a little cheaper somewhere else their customer service is great. I also did some shopping from www.fredmiranda.com and got some great deals, the only catch is you have to sign up to buy and sell in the forum but the store should be open for shoppers.

Edited by norbs007

So far so good (if it arrives tomorrow) with buydig. The guy was cool (knowledable/quick/didn't try to sell me anything extra) on the phone... 100 bucks cheaper than B&H and with 2nd Day shipping n/c.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Especially for a total amateur, the Nikon with the 60mm Macro lens is SO MUCH easier to use than the P&S. It's an awesome setup. My first shot in my webstore.

My friend had me get some $30/apiece bulbs for the ghetto studio. Something about the CRI index being over 93. They were worth it - their light is softer and whiter than the bulbs that came with the studio. The bulbs that came with the studio (that you can get in a grocery store) have a bluer colored light.

be

Especially for a total amateur, the Nikon with the 60mm Macro lens is SO MUCH easier to use than the P&S. It's an awesome setup. My first shot in my webstore.

My friend had me get some $30/apiece bulbs for the ghetto studio. Something about the CRI index being over 93. They were worth it - their light is softer and whiter than the bulbs that came with the studio. The bulbs that came with the studio (that you can get in a grocery store) have a bluer colored light.

be

:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...