Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Ruling

JThompson

We have a match coming up and I was thinking of doing a semi dark stage with a "black light" I was thinking we could paint them to fluoresce with about the same color as cardboard. This should comply with 4.1.2 right? I'm thinking of a Fun House Stage with all sorts of goodies including mirrored mylar.

Could you guys give me your thoughts on the matter. I esp want to hear what the CRO and trainers have to say.

Thanks

JT

Wanna quote that rule for us? (so each of us doesn't have to look it up)

Sure Flex...

Scoring targets used in all USPSA Handgun matches must be of a sin-

gle color, as follows:

The scoring area of scoring paper targets must be of a typical

cardboard color.

The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a sin-

gle color, preferably white.

No-shoots must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from

scoring targets. Metal no-shoots in the general size and shape of autho-

rized paper targets may be used. Metal no-shoots do not have a non

scoring border.

Thanks, JT. :)

For memory type stages, I have often thought it would be nice to staple a placard down below the target, identifying the target (probably just pieces of cardboard with "T1...T2...T3...etc.").

For a dark house, I would probably look to something like that. Put your fluorescent marker on a placard (or the target sticks) and you may eliminate any rules controversy all together. Plus, it might be more "practical" for shooting in the dark?

We did a night Halloween themed shoot once, If you noticed ,

The "scoring area" of scoring paper targets must be of a typical

cardboard color. We painted the non scoring portion with glow in the dark paint, on some targets it was the edge, on some we had a line of some kinda glittery glow in the dark tape for a border and the "glow part" was hard cover non scoring.

We have a match coming up and I was thinking of doing a semi dark stage with a "black light" I was thinking we could paint them to fluoresce with about the same color as cardboard. This should comply with 4.1.2 right? I'm thinking of a Fun House Stage with all sorts of goodies including mirrored mylar.

Could you guys give me your thoughts on the matter. I esp want to hear what the CRO and trainers have to say.

Thanks

JT

Just do it and have fun. We also had mistery stages in which we would not allow a walk through and broke many rules including just about all of 3.2. The shooter would enter the semi-dark range and shoot what ever he sees on the way to the end of the range. Then, when he leaves, the targets positions would be changed and, in effect, it becomes different stage for different shooters. The same was only number of points. You are "dead" if you missed a target and your score is zerrrrrro. Big ZERRRO. We had fun. I think it should be done once in a while. Why not!? :cheers:

Jim, try this link: Ordinary chemicals

You may not have to paint the targets at all, so you won't actually be changing their color. Be aware that plain white paper glows under a black light, so your no shoots, if you use them, will glow.

I really don't see any problems with the concept. Sounds like fun.

Troy

JT,

Where is this match going to be?

Later,

Chuck

Outside of Chicago, IL.

It's going to be an evil stage. So far I have a fog machine, two black lights and a strobe light with a star. lmao

Going to Chicago for a wedding on July 4. When did you say your match is? Have lot's of fun!! :cheers:

Jim, try this link: Ordinary chemicals

You may not have to paint the targets at all, so you won't actually be changing their color. Be aware that plain white paper glows under a black light, so your no shoots, if you use them, will glow.

I really don't see any problems with the concept. Sounds like fun.

Troy

Thanks Troy... I looked at the page. I consider using free stuff instead of buying it. :)

Thanks to all of the more experienced guys for chiming in. I'm sure there will be some debate as to the legality and I want to have my ducks in a row before I get hit with questions.

Lynn: This is not our Thurs practice match this is our monthly house match, so I need to adhere to USPSA rules. We try and keep to the rules even on practice days too. Sometimes we push a little in rounds shot from a single position, or total round count, but we stick to most everything else. We try and not use a level one exemption unless we really see a positive for doing so.

JT,

Later,

Chuck

Outside of Chicago, IL.

It's going to be an evil stage. So far I have a fog machine, two black lights and a strobe light with a star. lmao

Going to Chicago for a wedding on July 4. When did you say your match is? Have lot's of fun!! :cheers:

The match is held the first Sun of the month, so July 6th for this one. You are sure welcome to attend if you like. PM me if you need more details.

JT

Uhhh...please don't use these "free" things: (from the link Troy gave)

"Body Fluids: Many body fluids contain fluorescent molecules. Forensic scientists use ultraviolet lights at crime scenes to find blood, urine, or semen (all fluorescent)."

:lol::D:D

Uhhh...please don't use these "free" things: (from the link Troy gave)

"Body Fluids: Many body fluids contain fluorescent molecules. Forensic scientists use ultraviolet lights at crime scenes to find blood, urine, or semen (all fluorescent)."

:lol::D:D

I read that too, but decided any joke made about it would be funny, but crude. Not that it ever stopped me before. ;)

Actually, blood will NOT floresce under UV light. It looks devoid of any light under UV and is flat black. People think blood glows because they are always showing stupid stuff on CSI. There are chemicals that will adhere to the iron in blood and make blood glow under UV and that is what you see on CSI etc. Saliva barely floresces, urine is kinda in the medium range, and both male and female sexual fluids glow like neon signs under UV.

We use bleach water for training scenarios. Try spraying the targets with a 20-30% bleach/water mixture and letting them dry and then look at them under UV. It should make them glow nicely. If you have a half target and dont want the hardcover to glow, tape off a plastic bag over the painted hardcover before spraying it with the bleach. That should work.

JT,

Later,

Chuck

Outside of Chicago, IL.

The match is held the first Sun of the month, so July 6th for this one. You are sure welcome to attend if you like. PM me if you need more details.

JT

Ah!. July 6 flying home already. Enjoy all the fun.

• 3 weeks later...
[We have a match coming up

Just do it and have fun. We also had mistery stages in which we would not allow a walk through

Drift mode ON------Walkthroughs are not required. 3.2.4, "competitors SHOULD be permitted

to conduct an orderly inspection". Doesn't mean you have to. We do the Surprise Jungle Run

stage at the Crazy Croc without a walkthrough, and it doesn't violate any rules.

Drift mode OFF

Just do it and have fun. We also had mistery stages in which we would not allow a walk through

Drift mode ON------Walkthroughs are not required. 3.2.4, "competitors SHOULD be permitted

to conduct an orderly inspection". Doesn't mean you have to. We do the Surprise Jungle Run

stage at the Crazy Croc without a walkthrough, and it doesn't violate any rules.

Drift mode OFF

Yes, you're right. But I'd hate to be in place of that RO who would not allow a walkthrough, even if it is for all squads consistent.

Drift mode OFF

That's cool as long as the stage designer(s), the setup people and the RO for the first shooter(s) do not shoot the stage for score.

Later,

Chuck