Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Information Please

C.I.Shooter

I am looking to switch out of my Glock 34. It is a great gun, a dream to shoot, cheap and easy to work on, but I just can't get used to the grip angle. If it is all I shoot I can start to index well with it, but mixing it with my other guns causes me to point high. Anyway, I am looking at trading for an SP01 Tactical. How does the Tactical compare to the Shadow or base SP01? I think I would prefer the shadow due to the safety instead of decocker, but I have the opportunity to trade for the gun. Can they be converted? Any other differences with the Tactical I should be concerned about? I want to shoot in production.

I am also entertaining a trade offer for a Sig P226. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you can afford it the CZ Custom Shop SP-01 is a great choice. The Shadow would be my next pick. The tactical would be my last pick. For me, the decocker sits right under my thumb when shooting and is not very comfortable. It may be different for you though. The Shadow is a really good bargain. Completely ready to race out of the box.

i have just started shooting cz's and find them to be great pistols. i have a shadow, now legal for uspsa production :cheers: , and like it a lot. i bought it from angus/rob and had them install a comp. hammer and tune it to work. it shoots nice. a friend was just shooting his tactical in a match yesterday and found the de-cocker lever interfered with his thumb. i had been on the fence about a cz with that feature and now i am convinced it would not work for me either.

as fas as i know the tactical differs in that it has the lever vs. safety but is pretty much the same as a safety sp-01/shadow. the shadow is described as having a different frame but from what i have heard they don't differ too much. eerw or albert, who are members here, can provide more input on that subject as they have more experience than i with cz's.

as far as a conversion i don't know. again eerw or albert can perhaps shed some light. maybe call ghost holsters/cz custom shop and talk to them.

no matter which cz you get i think you will be happy. just find the one that works for you.

I traded a Glock for a SP-01 tactical recently to add to my manual safety SP-01s.

I slapped some sexy red aluminum grips on it and resprung it for a match this last Sunday.

Well, for me I kept hitting the decocker lever during a couple of the COFs and that was very frustrating.

I sure if you practice with the tactical/decocker lever you could work on not hitting it, I'm more used to the manual safety. I shoot with another guy who has the tactical and I never notice him hitting the lever during matches, but he does have larger hands and probably has a different grip.

Either way I say pick it up(complete the trade for the tactical) or wait if you can and pick up the Shadow.

I specifically shot the Tactical becuase we were having a 50yd stage and in testing the Tactical appeared to hit the target with less effort than the other 2 manual safety SP-01s.

the decockers on right where my thumb goes..but as mention..others have no problem with it.

if you get it..ship it to Angus or Matt..and have them work it over..

the main differences externally between the three...decocker vs manual safety..Shadow does not have a firing pin block. etd mag release, ext ambi safeties.

internally the decocker uses one hammer hook on the sear..the other side is not there to make clearance room for the decocking lever.

from the start positition..the manual safety version and the Shadow will start with the hammer all the way down, the Tactical from the decocked position..if that makes a difference to you.

SP01 is a great gun..loved mine, but I have gone back to a lighter gun for the time being.

the decockers on right where my thumb goes..but as mention..others have no problem with it.

the main differences externally between the three...decocker vs manual safety..Shadow does not have a firing pin block. etd mag release, ext ambi safeties.

internally the decocker uses one hammer hook on the sear..the other side is not there to make clearance room for the decocking lever.

from the start positition..the manual safety version and the Shadow will start with the hammer all the way down, the Tactical from the decocked position..if that makes a difference to you.

SP01 is a great gun..loved mine, but I have gone back to a lighter gun for the time being.

Stay away from the Sig. You will be really disappointed when it self destructs at around 10k rounds. Any of the CZ models are great. The decocker does take a little getting used to enjoy your choice.

If I may add...

Decockers are a pain in the butt to work on. The sear cage needs to be taken apart inside the gun and then on assembly takes slave pins and so on. Most gun smiths hate working on them. I highly recommend the safety version, not the decocker version.

The Shadow is a great deal, well built for a reasonable price. I would recommend letting Angus or Matt clean it up for you. I know Angus has the best prices on CZ's. Avoid the extra shipping costs and just order from him.

Thanks for all the input. I do believe that I would like the Shadow better, but finances dictate the trade. I tried to sell the G34 with no luck in which case I may have opted for the Shadow. I think trading for the Tactical would give me a good gun for range and a little USPSA production. I will call Angus and see if the Decocker can be swapped out for a safety. If so, would it still be USPSA production legal? How about if I add an extended mag release?

I have an SP01 Shadow & shoot it in IPSC Production. I'm going to fit a magwell & shoot a few matches this year in Standard with it too.

Here in Australia, shooting IPSC rules, we can't have a PD gun worked, so the Shadow is excellent out of the box. Change out the recoil & hammer/main springs, sight it in & dryfire to smooth out the trigger. Perfect.

I've fitted a CZ 75 Kadet .22 to the SP01 frame & it works well. Cheap training option.

Cheers, Ando.

Stay away from the Sig. You will be really disappointed when it self destructs at around 10k rounds.

You're joking....right?

USSA-1

I don't think he is joking. I've seen it happen a bunch of times.

I must be one of the few that like the tactical model. My carry gun is the P-01 with the decocker and I like the tactical SP-01 because it is very similar. I must not be good enough to be able to tell the difference in the trigger jobs, Angus and Matt do a great job.

Stay away from the Sig. You will be really disappointed when it self destructs at around 10k rounds.

You're joking....right?

USSA-1

He's totally serious. Nobody carries a Sig that knows anything. Those stupid Seals were changing out guns about once a month just to keep them from self destructing. :roflol:

I must not be good enough to be able to tell the difference in the trigger jobs, Angus and Matt do a great job.

once the triggers are done..they're great....the decockers are just a hoot to get apart and back together..

Hmm. My match Sig is at around 12k rds, my practice one is about double that.

Should I call the Guiness Book?

I wonder if Bruce Gray knows about Sigs self destructing.

When I go to work training Federal Air Marshals I'll be sure to get the word out.

FY42385

Hmm. My match Sig is at around 12k rds, my practice one is about double that.

Should I call the Guiness Book?

I wonder if Bruce Gray knows about Sigs self destructing.

When I go to work training Federal Air Marshals I'll be sure to get the word out.

FY42385

We've seen some issues with Sigs failing in pretty dramatic fashion, but it was a LOT more than 10K through them before that happened.

I am looking to switch out of my Glock 34. It is a great gun, a dream to shoot, cheap and easy to work on, but I just can't get used to the grip angle. If it is all I shoot I can start to index well with it, but mixing it with my other guns causes me to point high. Anyway, I am looking at trading for an SP01 Tactical. How does the Tactical compare to the Shadow or base SP01? I think I would prefer the shadow due to the safety instead of decocker, but I have the opportunity to trade for the gun. Can they be converted? Any other differences with the Tactical I should be concerned about? I want to shoot in production.

I am also entertaining a trade offer for a Sig P226. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I think they can be converted. It's best to check with Matt Mink or Angus Hobdell. I'm sure that with the right amount of money it can be done just not sure if it would be cost effective and better to start with a base manual safety SP-01.

It's just the position of the decocker lever that you have to concern yourself with in relation to the size of your hand and how you would grip the pistol.

I would personally recommend sticking with the SP-01, but Sigs are also nice. Maybe you should try to do a side by side comparison and go with what feels the best.

-Albert

Well, according to Angus the decocker cannot be switched to the Manual Safety. I guess function wise it doesn;t matter a whole lot. I do not plan on carrying the gun so C&L is not an issue. I guess both Angus and Matt can do a nice trigger jon on the decocker model if I ever decide to go that route. So it comes down to ergonomics. I haven;t had any luck finding one locally to shoot but I will keep looking. If I can work the trade for the tactical I think I will. Otherwise, maybe the G34 will sell and I can go with the Shadow.

One other thought, I am very new to USPSA and read so much about people not liking the DA/SA guns because of the double action 1st shot. Does it really make that much of a difference. I mean it is only the first shot of the stage right? Am I missing something?

Thanks again for all the input.

Well, according to Angus the decocker cannot be switched to the Manual Safety. I guess function wise it doesn;t matter a whole lot. I do not plan on carrying the gun so C&L is not an issue. I guess both Angus and Matt can do a nice trigger jon on the decocker model if I ever decide to go that route. So it comes down to ergonomics. I haven;t had any luck finding one locally to shoot but I will keep looking. If I can work the trade for the tactical I think I will. Otherwise, maybe the G34 will sell and I can go with the Shadow.

One other thought, I am very new to USPSA and read so much about people not liking the DA/SA guns because of the double action 1st shot. Does it really make that much of a difference. I mean it is only the first shot of the stage right? Am I missing something?

Getting the Tactical and then getting the work done seems to be the fastest and cheapest way for you to get into the CZ. You can get used to the decocker lever.

As far as the 1st DA shot, spring the gun right and you can get over that issue real quick and then have an amazing 2nd and follow up shots in single action. I have a CZ 75 Combat that I picked up from a forum member (eerw) which has an incredible double action that is so smooth and so light that if you tried it you would not have any issue with that 1st shot.

Getting the Tactical and then getting the work done seems to be the fastest and cheapest way for you to get into the CZ. You can get used to the decocker lever.

As far as the 1st DA shot, spring the gun right and you can get over that issue real quick and then have an amazing 2nd and follow up shots in single action. I have a CZ 75 Combat that I picked up from a forum member (eerw) which has an incredible double action that is so smooth and so light that if you tried it you would not have any issue with that 1st shot.

That one did come out good, didn't it :D

That one did come out good, didn't it :D

I don't know what kind of magic you applied to that pistol Stuart, but I think it was better than the CZ 85 that Darrion let me dry fire at the 2006 Area 1. I've finally opened it up and checked the hammer spring to try and duplicate what you accomplished without the Competition hammer.

I should bring that one out more to shoot, if more people got to try that trigger we might have more converts over to CZ.

That double action on that pistol is unreal.

Now if we could just get the reset shorter.....

stuart,

albert has let me dry fire the pistol in question and it sure IS nice. no disrespect to the job that was done on my shadow, because i am really happy, but the trigger work you do is top notch! :cheers:

I have a Matt Mink SP-01 and its the regular non de-cocker model. Its so sweet I had another wrenched by him. I have a friend that was so impressed by mine he got one by Angus. He was using a Glock 34, but found the CZ a better gun for him. Try one first, but I don't think you will be sorry if you got one.