Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Open

j1b

Best golf tournament I've ever watched.

Rocco has been unbelievable and is worthy of the trophy. Tiger has both amazed me and freaked me out. But that back (front) nine on friday . . . magical. Saturday - amazing.

Today - I saw it all slipping away. Then a ringer on 18 and once again he puts himself in position. He's the best competitor I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing. And a blast to watch.

I feel a little sick tonight . . cough cough . . . and may have to call in tomorrow :rolleyes:

J

It was good... lot of lessons to be learned there... Don't forget the agony of Mickelson's "Tin Cup" moment yesterday... How many times have you stepped up to a stage and thought "Yeah... I could do that" (thinking about some crazy assed "if the planets all aligned and you turned in a 100% performance on your best possible day" type of stage performance)??? Bingo...

Rocco has been unbelievable and is worthy of the trophy. Tiger has both amazed me and freaked me out. But that back (front) nine on friday . . . magical. Saturday - amazing.

I'm rootin' for Rocco... just cause I like the underdog ;)

Today - I saw it all slipping away. Then a ringer on 18 and once again he puts himself in position. He's the best competitor I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing. And a blast to watch.

Except, of course, we had to see the "throwing of the club (twice)"... he could lose that crap and I'd never miss it... If it weren't for throwing a double on the easiest par 4 on the course, he'd have won the thing - he asked for the playoff on the very first hole today...

Man, they've changed that course a ton since I played it a few years back. They were starting the work on the greens for this weekend then (what was that, '01 or '02?, something like that....). I was able to play with there being 6 temporary greens, cause it was affordable (people who don't live in San Diego county have to pay something like $180 to play... people who live in San Diego county pay $25 :o). They ruined the view on 3, in my opinion. Horrible :( Used to be Torrey Pines behind the green, and the view from the tee box was just amazing.... Now, its just... barren.... :angry:

I feel a little sick tonight . . cough cough . . . and may have to call in tomorrow :rolleyes:

I work from home... :D The mute button is magical... ;)

It was good... lot of lessons to be learned there... Don't forget the agony of Mickelson's "Tin Cup" moment yesterday... How many times have you stepped up to a stage and thought "Yeah... I could do that" (thinking about some crazy assed "if the planets all aligned and you turned in a 100% performance on your best possible day" type of stage performance)??? Bingo...

I'm rootin' for Rocco... just cause I like the underdog ;)

Except, of course, we had to see the "throwing of the club (twice)"... he could lose that crap and I'd never miss it... If it weren't for throwing a double on the easiest par 4 on the course, he'd have won the thing - he asked for the playoff on the very first hole today...

Man, they've changed that course a ton since I played it a few years back. They were starting the work on the greens for this weekend then (what was that, '01 or '02?, something like that....). I was able to play with there being 6 temporary greens, cause it was affordable (people who don't live in San Diego county have to pay something like $180 to play... people who live in San Diego county pay $25 :o). They ruined the view on 3, in my opinion. Horrible :( Used to be Torrey Pines behind the green, and the view from the tee box was just amazing.... Now, its just... barren.... :angry:

I work from home... :D The mute button is magical... ;)

I'm "ok" if Rocco wins. Ultimately I'll rout for Tiger.

I have no issue with passion. If you want fist pumps and howling at a made putt then there are consequences. I don't like the club throwing but it is a dynamic of the personality we saw (oh - and felt) on 18.

I'm routing for Tiger, even though I'm a Rocco fan. I'm a HUGE Tiger fan. Tiger is the best. His will alone . . . amazing.

The knee is an issue and he's tied for the lead at the U.S. Open. I don't care who you are, that's freakin' amazing.

J

Edited by j1b

Kinda hard to know who the underdog is

-- no one has ever beaten tiger when he was ahead after 54 holes

but

-- no one has ever won a Major just 5 weeks after knee surgery, either

[quote name='bgary' date='Jun 15 2008, 07:53 PM' post='774401'

-- no one has ever won a Major just 5 weeks after knee surgery, either

Noone has ever contended either though . . . and that's already been broke . . .

I have been watching it the past two days. Just when you think Tiger is out of it, he comes right back. He is the BEST in the world, but sometimes it is good when someome else wins.

Rocco, needs to win, but taken on Tiger is a big order.

I have no issue with passion. If you want fist pumps and howling at a made putt then there are consequences. I don't like the club throwing but it is a dynamic of the personality we saw (oh - and felt) on 18.

I don't have an issue with passion. I do have an issue with acting out in violence. And, of course, there are plenty of examples of people who display plenty of positive passion w/o going into the club throwing or whatever. I don't mind a scowl, or even a verbal outburst... but when it crosses into throwing stuff around, I think it becomes disrespectful and low class, regardless of the sport or the player.

Don't take it personally, Jack :lol: You know I'm a fan of Tiger's ;) I could just do without that stuff...

18's a real bitch, if I remember correctly. I think I shot a 9 on that hole?? :D The rough and trees on the right hand side ate my lunch.... And the course was playing pretty easy at that point (normal summer conditions)...

Perhap this should and will get split off, but what about shooters who get pissed at their performance and empty their mag into a target out frustration or anger? I've seen it more than once. Way too often actually. My personal opinion is that should warrant a DQ. Never act out with a firearm. Not on my range.

Just the magic of golf. That we all can be invested in it this much, is probably more the magic of sport.

I've been watching it and have seen how to capture a lot of the mental aspects of what they do in what we do.

I'm rooting for Tiger. Pac-10 guy and just love his drive. That said, Rocco's professionalism and attitude is priceless.

Rich

Perhap this should and will get split off, but what about shooters who get pissed at their performance and empty their mag into a target out frustration or anger? I've seen it more than once. Way too often actually. My personal opinion is that should warrant a DQ. Never act out with a firearm. Not on my range.

The golf equivalent would be a golfer who puts one in the tank, and then drops a ball and purposefully strikes it into the tank with the first one. Maybe he does that a second time for good measure (eating two strokes per occurrence). In both cases, they are negatively affecting their score without doing anything immediately unsafe.

I agree, Steve, that its rather distasteful, and suggests that the shooter/golfer is just a big baby pitching a temper tantrum. However, DQ?? If they don't do anything unsafe (which would warrant a DQ on its own), that might be a little too far...?? Of course, its within the purview of the RO (and the arbitration committee that will likely follow) to make some decisions about what could be grounds for DQ under 10.6, so... ;)

J

The man has lots of skills, but might also be the LUCKIEST golfer in history....gets a drop from line of sight behind the TV tower from 6" grass to 1.5 " grass...hits 1 of 7 fairways on the back Sat and makes an eagle and a chip in birdie...

I know what everyone is thinking, but come today when they tee it up, I'm pullin' for Rocco...He has played well enough to deserve it.

I recorded the final round and watched it when I came up from the shop at about midnight last night, sat and watched the WHOLE THING!!!!! Best final round of golf I have EVER seen.

I am pulling for both of them, both of them are good people to the core. Rocco has a great chance, he played 1 under to get into the playoff and Tiger shot 1 over IIRC, same thing again today and Rocco gets the trophy.

i live on a golf course, but dislike the game. was caught up in watching it cause i'd luv to see rocco win...class guy it would appear, and humbled. but i especially dislike the arrogance of woods. i know, it's passion...but that's whats great about this country.

It was a great tournament indeed!

The best part of it is that they are both Americans.

Whoever wins, we will have an American Champion of our US Open.

Shocker...TL goes against Woods.

Rich

NOT pulling against Woods, just pulling FOR Rocco...Tiger has enough for now, Rocco is deserving IMO...he is at least as deserving as was Lee Janzen who has 2, Andy North who has 2 and some others I could name but won't.

Don't count Rocco out . . . he may talk Tiger to death.

"How's the baby? Man, your wife is HOT! How are you spending all that money? Would be a real bummer to lose to a guy who had to qualify to be here, huh? What a beautiful golf course! I love this tournament. Got any extra balls in case you snap hook another one on 13?"

That's just walking down the first fairway . . .

Don't count Rocco out . . . he may talk Tiger to death.

"How's the baby? Man, your wife is HOT! How are you spending all that money? Would be a real bummer to lose to a guy who had to qualify to be here, huh? What a beautiful golf course! I love this tournament. Got any extra balls in case you snap hook another one on 13?"

That's just walking down the first fairway . . .

As Trevino used to tell them, you don't have to talk...I will talk enough for both of us...Rocco needs to talk a page from Lee Buck and throw a rubber snake on Tiger on the first tee, as Trevino did to Nicklaus (Lee beat Jack BTW for that US Open)...Tiger might make a quick turn on that left knee getting away...then you never know...

Edited by tightloop

Heh. As someone (his dad?) once said, "nobody is going to be tougher, mentally, than Tiger"

At this point, it has very little to do with physical skills... it has to do with mental toughness, and desire.

It'll be very interesting to see who wins *that* game. The golf itself is... almost incidental.

B