Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Frame and slide kit.

speedy169

I finally got my stimulus, so its time to build a new limited blaster. I want a limited STI 40 S&W.

I have fit slides and stuff before that is not a problem. My question is.... Is it better to buy a pre fit STI frame and slide kit or buy separate and fit them? It just seems like it would save me some time. Unless the fit they come with is crap.

Also they have the short block kit that is the frame, slide, and barrel that is already fit. Are the barrels they come with any good and are they fit nice and tight? Are they a bushing barrel or a bull? This may be another option to save time on the build.

Thanks in advance.

I won't build on another factory cut frame, EVER. I can do a much better job on the slide fit. For me, I will do ALL of the fitting or I won't build it. Getting the pre-cut/pre-fit stuff perfect often takes longer and is definitely a TON more frustrating than just cutting and fitting everything myself. Does it have to be perfect? No, but I have absolutely zero interest in building anything less.

This is coming to you third person so keep that in mind.

However, one of the guys that shoots with us at the Bullet Hole just got a frame/slide fit from STI and he said it felt perfect. This is for an open gun and he hasn't finished it yet as he just got it in. This is the only first hand report I have from anyone I know so far.

Just my .02

Chris

Ive built a few Caspian framed SS's and a Para and was pretty much a buy the frame build it myself kinda guy, but when I decided to go STI route and looked at the prices of buying frame slide barrel to building, it just didnt make any sense, I bought a complete ready to shoot 6" Eagle through Dawson added their front sight and magwell, did a trigger job when it got here and couldnt be more happy with it. I also knew going straight factory build if I had any issues with it STI would stand behind it.

I have bought one prefit frame slide combo. It was not bad. But so far the not bad has stayed about the same for 50k+ so it is taking its life of open beating well.

But saying that, I can hand fit them better.

I don't think I would buy a short block

This is coming to you third person so keep that in mind.

However, one of the guys that shoots with us at the Bullet Hole just got a frame/slide fit from STI and he said it felt perfect. This is for an open gun and he hasn't finished it yet as he just got it in. This is the only first hand report I have from anyone I know so far.

Just my .02

Chris

Chris,

Met your brother last night at Pioneer. He said you wanted to get together and talk about some matches.

The question really is can YOU or the gunsmith putting your build together do better than a STI factory pre-fit frame and slide. If the answer is yet, then go that route. I personally don't have the ability to fit a slide and frame so I wanted to build a gun up on my own, I'd probably opt to go pre-fit. But I worked around it, and had a very good gun-doctor around here do my build :D

~Mitch