Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help with Grip

Lee King

I bought a Millennium Custom Limited gun back in Feb and have been shooting it as much as possible. However, after about 50 rounds I start to develop a blister on the side of my trigger finger. I'm going to include some pictures. I grip the gun as high as possible. When I do so, my trigger finger actually angles down so that the tip of the finger is on the trigger, but right about the first knuckle rubs the frame. Is this technique? If so how could I change my grip to change that angle? Do I need to change the trigger? Maybe with a flat trigger face to extend my finger forward? By the time I got to the last stage in the local match over the weekend I was focusing so much on my finger I was forgetting about trigger control etc.

2566901027_4b552b30c1.jpg

2566901215_f6a82b631c.jpg

2566901281_a2718c32f5.jpg

2257146767_55368eee16.jpg

Edited by Lee King

Switch out the trigger to a SVI long flat

MVZ

+1

You may also consider getting a gunsmith blank trigger. Basically a lump of black plastic at the end of a trigger bow. It will allow you to shape the trigger precisely as you want it.

Good pictures too. It really shows the problem that you are having.

Switching to an SV flat long may help a little but what I suggest is either develop a callous, try welding / bevelling your frame or get some of the narrow finger tape and use it to protect your finger. The same thing happens to me just not to that great a degree.

A far out suggestion would be to build up the bottom of the grip to cant the wrist angle a bit which would change you finger angle and keep it from rubbing on the frame. I would try all the above first, but as a line of last resort... :unsure:

Try putting more of your finger pad on the trigger not just the very tip of the finger. Looks like your trigger finger is at an angle not allowing the finger to come straight back when pulling the trigger.

Just my.02.

BK

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to look for a trigger blank. In the meantime, I'm gonna try tape.

I'm trying to figure out how you get your finger to go up then back down onto the trigger like that. My trigger finger is pretty much horizontal. When you dryfire is your finger only moving at the second knuckle and up? Is your right ane left palms "fitting" together on the other side of the gun? It looks like to me your right hand is to far forward and needs to come around a bit.

I'm gonna be the dissenting voice here and say practice until you develop a callus if you don't decide to change technique. Tape does nothing but mask the problem.

Getting your finger off the frame would be a worthwhile endeavor though. The only place your trigger finger should touch the gun is the trigger. I don't think the trigger is the problem, as you can see a huge gap between your trigger finger and the rest of your fingers. I'd say concentrate a bit on lowering that knuckle until your trigger finger is no longer touching the frame. I would try not to change your strong hand's position as it is very solid and fundamentally correct.

I consider changing equipment to be a last resort as there is never a guarantee it will work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to look for a trigger blank. In the meantime, I'm gonna try tape.

I'm trying to figure out how you get your finger to go up then back down onto the trigger like that. My trigger finger is pretty much horizontal. When you dryfire is your finger only moving at the second knuckle and up? Is your right ane left palms "fitting" together on the other side of the gun? It looks like to me your right hand is to far forward and needs to come around a bit.

That's kinda why I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I have tried to force my trigger finger down. I can only get it to move a little bit closer and it adds a lot of tension to my finger and affects trigger control. The heel of my left palm fits in the gap of the fingers on my right hand side and butts against the right hand heel. In other words, from the top my right hand forms a backwards C. My left heel fills the gap of the "C". So yes the heels of my hands touch. In fact, with the grip tape I have on the grip, the heel of my left palm actually gets "sanded" a bit. And lastly, yes my finger movement is isolated only to the last 2 knuckles. The whole finger doesn't move.

I'm gonna be the dissenting voice here and say practice until you develop a callus if you don't decide to change technique. Tape does nothing but mask the problem.

Getting your finger off the frame would be a worthwhile endeavor though. The only place your trigger finger should touch the gun is the trigger. I don't think the trigger is the problem, as you can see a huge gap between your trigger finger and the rest of your fingers. I'd say concentrate a bit on lowering that knuckle until your trigger finger is no longer touching the frame. I would try not to change your strong hand's position as it is very solid and fundamentally correct.

I consider changing equipment to be a last resort as there is never a guarantee it will work.

It's almost like all of my fingers angle down on my right hand. But the last 3 wrap around the grip. I'm wondering if I can somehow twist my right hand down and more to the right. I.e. get my pinky to wrap more around the grip... the ring finger more but not as much as the pinky etc. to maybe bring the angle of the fingers more horizontal than up. The only thing about that is, the beavertail sits right in the V of my thumb and forefinger. I worry if I shift my hand too far around I either won't be able to hit the thumb safety or add too much tension to that thumb at the wrong angle.

I don't recall having this problem with my single stack when I shot L10. But then again the grip and frame were smaller.

Edited by Lee King

I had the same issue on my ST's. I ended up switching to an Enos insert, removing/beveling metal from the frame for clearance, and building up the curve at the top of the trigger insert even more in order to get any clearance at all. Even with all of that, I STILL rubbed on the frame from time to time. Ended up switching to Tanfoglio, and no issues now.