Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK USP

sperman

Is anyone shooting an HK USP? What do you think of the mag release? It doesn't look like it would make for fast mag changes (or make the RO happy seing your trigger finger moving around during a change.) But I've read a few posts where people said it was faster than the standard thumb style release.

Thanks,

Scott

I have shot my USP a couple times. I do like shooting it but the bore axis is a bit high. Great gun.

Most RO's don't have a problem with that. Your trigger finger has to come off the trigger to engage the mag release therefor it is safe. The thing with any mag change is getting your finger off the trigger.

If that's what you've got, bring it on out and shoot it. Four of the five guns I've shot in this game (including HK P7) have had the mag release on the right side and I prefer to hit it with my trigger or middle finger. If that works best for you, use that method. The RO isn't going to care, so clear that out of your mind and focus on what you need to do to have a good run.

Welcome to the sport.

splashdown

I've read a few posts where people said it was faster than the standard thumb style release.

I don't see how.

You could call Bruce Gray www.grayguns.com he's the only one I know who shot them in competition (as HK sponsored him) and he could give you an honest evaluation of the pros and cons.

The HK just doesn't fit me well, so I didn't keep mine long.

I shot a USP 40 for 2 years in this sport. If you practice. you can make anything work.

I saved up enough money and bought a Brazos Custom SC lmited. For some reason, I just don't seem to shoot the HK much these days. :devil:

My duty gun is a USP Compact in .40. The mag release is great. I use my strong side middle finger to drop the mag. I'm probably faster with it then with my 1911's release. The trigger (LEM) is another matter... heavy (8lbs), with a long reset. Otherwise a good pistol.

Karl

I have two USP's and shoot them on and off .....I completely echo sailorkarl with the middle finger of strong hand technique .... I shot my usp40 all last year in IDPA and IPSC. The mag changes for me are Every Bit As FAST as my 1911's... if not faster. I learned to use my middle finger without changing my firing grip What So Ever. It is extremely fast. Trigger finger straight, and nudge the lever down just a fuzz w/ middle finger ....try it and you will be a believer. Harold H.

the USP series are drop dead realiable. The grip is not the best,...but I found it easy to use and was not fussy about what ammo you used thru it,..and the mags work. YES, the slide is a little on the large end,...not the most ergonomic..

If you have seen the new P30-L in 9mm,...well,..basically a USP with a major overhaul. lighter /slimmer profile slide,...front and rear cocking serrations,....low profile adjustable sights,..slighter larger mag release,..slightly better beveled mag well,..and the best thing of all...it has 3 sides panels and 2 rear panels so the user can tailor the grip to your hands. Oh, and the decocker is not on either side of the frame,...it is at the rear of the slide right next to the hammer.

Dude if you saw my dad's usp you would love it. Tommy Thacker did all the work on it. Tommy is the HK guy. I love the release but that's just me, my mag changes are under a second even with that mag release. It is one of the best totally ambidextrous pistols out there.

even empty mags "spring out"....that is a feature I miss about my USP ( I am using a tanfoglio stock2 now),..the mags would even fly out sideways if you turned your wrist early before the mag had a chance to clear the frame...

A little off topic,...but my USP stays in a safe by the bed,..while my other toys are down locked in the gun room. BTW..

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I shot a USP all last year. A4, A2, A3...some sectionals...

What I did was get some Marine Epoxy and built up that mag release; I made it "taller" i.e towards the top of the gun. It worked really well, and was very solid.

My only issue was that the white mags were not very durable; I broke SIX of them (6 x $60 each) during the course of ONE season. I switched the metal basepads out with plastic ones from Arredondo and that really helped a lot with breakage, but then they were kinda light and were not as positive when dropping out of the gun.

Great guns in spite of the mag issue.

FY42385