Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this overkill, or will I just have really good sized ammo?

So here is what I was thinking. Rather than dropping $500+ on a casepro, I thought I might blow $60 instead and see if it works. Here's my idea.

Loading a Dillon 650

Station 1: Factory Dillon Sizer and decapper

Station 2: EGW sizing die, with no primer punch pin

Station 3: Powder Measure

Station 4: Redding Competition Seating Die set to 1.200"

Station 5: Lee Factory Crimp die.

I realize that I have (3) dies that size the case, but since I shoot "glocked" range brass, and don't have 5 bills to spare on a casepro, any reason this would not work? Or am I just going at this with way too much gusto? :surprise:

Edited by sasquatch981

That's about the set-up I run:

Redding Ti resize/deprime

Lee "U" die

Powder drop

Redding or Hornady Competition seater die

Lee FCD

I don't think it's overkill. The Redding is the tightest standard sizing die I've found and then followed up with the "U" die life is good. Yea, you could skip the standard size die and just use the "U" die if you wanted but I found that press runs a bit smoother and easier by doing the "two step" resizing.

Nah, that is the almost the same as mine , Dillon , then Lee regular .40 die (which for $12 resizes all the way down....) Regular Dillon seater and Lee FCD....My stuff all gauges, all the time.... :)

DougC

Loading a Dillon 650

Station 1: Factory Dillon Sizer and decapper

Station 2: EGW sizing die, with no primer punch pin

Station 3: Powder Measure

Station 4: Redding Competition Seating Die set to 1.200"

Station 5: Lee Factory Crimp die.

While I just use a Lee 4-die set (and it works great), your proposed setup would be ideal.

i'm running the same setup and i have a picture somewhere on this site. i believe it's under the heading case pro. i use the dillon die in station one because the bottom is flared more to accept 99.9% of the brass. the egw die has a narrow opening which may cause more cases to not line up correctly.

Putting an ECW die in station 3 on a 650 well depend on what powder measure you have, the old style with the powder return strings, or the fail safe system. If you have the fail safe system you would have to modify it too use the return springs, The ECW die as far as I can tell resizes just as far down as the regular Lee sizer die. It just sizes the case .001 smaller in diameter. I did an experiment I sized 500 cases using the ECW on a Rock Chucker press then loaded them on a 650. Leaving the Dillon sizer die in place. I still had the same amount of rounds that would not gage check as I did with just using a standard Lee sizer die or a Dillon sizer die. IMHO all you are doing in using the ECW is overworking the brass, in turn sooner split cases.