Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity--do you make an effort to hide your competitive accomplishments at school? Or an effort to promote them? Or somewhere in between? In other words, your instructors must realize you compete and shoot a ton, but do they actually know that a couple of weeks ago you were the 3rd best USPSA shooter in the nation with a production Beretta? Do they realize that you bitch about losing to Dave Sevigny?

I'm imagining you flying under the radar and it's making me chuckle. Hell, you could tell them you've got a GM card in USPSA and it still wouldn't be the full picture of where your skill actually is right now.

They asked me where I was trained the other day. I told them that I shoot competitively.. so they asked again "no formal training?".. I say "no"

I asked one of the instructors if he knew what IDPA was, and he gave me a blank stare.

The funny thing is, all the students know that I shoot a lot and how I do. I was absent from class for the nationals, so they all were in the room when one student asked me how I did.

The firearms instructors seem to be the only people out of a the loop.

Just out of curiosity--do you make an effort to hide your competitive accomplishments at school? Or an effort to promote them? Or somewhere in between? In other words, your instructors must realize you compete and shoot a ton, but do they actually know that a couple of weeks ago you were the 3rd best USPSA shooter in the nation with a production Beretta? Do they realize that you bitch about losing to Dave Sevigny?

I'm imagining you flying under the radar and it's making me chuckle. Hell, you could tell them you've got a GM card in USPSA and it still wouldn't be the full picture of where your skill actually is right now.

Ok... Had a 4 hour range session today. (this was at school)

Today we backed up to the 7 yard line! This is the furthest we have shot so far. =)

Also, I spent a good deal of time working on the lesson plan for my class on the 19th. I will be happy when I get this stuff done. Such a pain in the ass.

Today we backed up to the 7 yard line! This is the furthest we have shot so far. =)

Also, I spent a good deal of time working on the lesson plan for my class on the 19th. I will be happy when I get this stuff done. Such a pain in the ass.

Damn. 7yds is really testing you ability.. did you show them what a bill drill looks like? :D

Damn. 7yds is really testing you ability.. did you show them what a bill drill looks like? :D

No.. but we did do target transitions today. The "tactical" stance that they use at school is uncomfortable and annoying. (they don't really make me change what I do, so I do stuff my way) They lean really agressivelike into the target. Leaning so hard really hurts during target transitions. I demonstrated that pretty effectively today. I think my quickest runs to shoot three targets (twice each) the way they had it set up today took about 2 seconds. Now, I do have to lay back a little bit, because I don't want to make mistakes. I want good hits. It is still fun to push the pedal down a little bit sometimes though.

New article on LE Training observations HERE

No no no, I am not talking about how my instructors feel about my shooting... this is about how LE Training is helping be learn how to shoot better. There have been some useful revelations, and I think that is cool. The big thing is that I am really making a push to get better. I want to crush these drills as hard as I possibly can. Fun times!

I didn't quite hit a 60, but I did shoot OK.

I learned a few things.

1. I need to work on shooting barricades. Sight alignment is a problem on those 20 yard shots when I am leaning.

2. Gun handling is weak. My draws and reloads from IDPA gear suck. I suck at slide lock reloads.

3. Accuracy and shot calling were very good. I knew where all my shots went before they got there.

I don't have video.. but I do have some time breakdowns from today.

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

I only dropped a handfull of points.. but I didn't write down where. =(

Damn... 60ish with just a few points down...

I hate you. I shot a 102 in my last one, about 4 weeks ago. I dropped like eleventybillion points on stage 3. (Seriously, it was over 30). I have GOT to learn to call my shots 100% of the time. Nothing holds you back like only knowing where about 25% of your shots went...

During some IDPA video, I thought I remembered seeing you do an under-the-dustcover rack on a slide lock reload. Is this something you typically do?

There is one thing I love about shooting a lot of IDPA, and just a little bit of USPSA: Watching an IPSC guy accidentally shoot to slide lock, banging out a sub-one-second load... but then taking nearly a second to get the slide back into battery.

Of course an IDPA guy shooting IPSC, completing a speedload, and then spending half of a second flat footed and fighting the urge to rack the gun is pretty funny, too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Damn... 60ish with just a few points down...

I hate you. I shot a 102 in my last one, about 4 weeks ago. I dropped like eleventybillion points on stage 3. (Seriously, it was over 30). I have GOT to learn to call my shots 100% of the time. Nothing holds you back like only knowing where about 25% of your shots went...

During some IDPA video, I thought I remembered seeing you do an under-the-dustcover rack on a slide lock reload. Is this something you typically do?

I do rack from under the slide, I am smoother that way. On a slide lock load though, I hit the slide release with my weak hand thumb. I think that is faster than racking the slide.

I haven't messed with IDPA seriously in so long that I feel I could be shooting this thing SOOOOo much better. It is a good time to get back in shape on this stuff.

Firearms at school is starting to get fun. We have started shooting fast and shooting while moving. I like being exposed to new drills and stuff like that, it helps make me a better shooter. The teachers are really taking notice... they have informed the rest of the class to not compare themselves to me.

I love benstoeger.com :D

(It's one of like seven"'gun" websites in the whole world that isn't blocked at work. They even kill BE. So I guess you have something of a captive audience over here..)

I know I should have found this in a previous post 3 pages back, but what are you shooting at the academy? I highly doubt that it's an Elite that's getting fed 128PF reloads. Just wondering how the adjustment process has gone for you, and if you feel truly comfortable with it yet.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I know I should have found this in a previous post 3 pages back, but what are you shooting at the academy? I highly doubt that it's an Elite that's getting fed 128PF reloads. Just wondering how the adjustment process has gone for you, and if you feel truly comfortable with it yet.

I am shooting an Elite 2. :cheers: