Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week keeps getting weirder for me.

I set up a stage today and was unable to produce a real significant time advantage by shooting on the move.

clicky

I think I need more practice.

did you get better points by shooting static on the partial targets?

This week keeps getting weirder for me.

I set up a stage today and was unable to produce a real significant time advantage by shooting on the move.

clicky

I think I need more practice.

did you get better points by shooting static on the partial targets?

Yessir I did. That is why I was careful to distinguish a time advantage only.

The reason there was no significant advantage is the reload basically negated the time gained by shooting on the move.

The only reason shooting on the move yields faster times is because it gets you to the next shooting position quicker. The more stuff you work into it (like the reload, and re-presenting to the same array + tough shots and slow movement) the less worthwhile it becomes.

I would have liked to see you run to one side, shoot both ducks, then engage 2 of the 15 yard targets, then reload on the way to the other side, engage both ducks, then the final 2 targets at 15. I think that would have yielded the best combination of time and points + good match time consistency.

The reason there was no significant advantage is the reload basically negated the time gained by shooting on the move.

The only reason shooting on the move yields faster times is because it gets you to the next shooting position quicker. The more stuff you work into it (like the reload, and re-presenting to the same array + tough shots and slow movement) the less worthwhile it becomes.

I would have liked to see you run to one side, shoot both ducks, then engage 2 of the 15 yard targets, then reload on the way to the other side, engage both ducks, then the final 2 targets at 15. I think that would have yielded the best combination of time and points + good match time consistency.

Thank you captain obvious. =)

When I ran it limited style without the reload, I cut 1 second off my fastest production time.

I did indeed try it the way you suggest, and it worked pretty well, only about half a second behind shooting it on the move.

Ben,

My goal is to shoot 60-70 percent of you at all Holmen matches. I wish you lived closer I would like to train with you. As you know Glen does not practice. I get bored and distracted practicing by my self. Plus there is no one to push me to get better.

Good luck with your new training agenda, I'll see you at Holmen,

-p2000lefty

Kirk

Ben,

My goal is to shoot 60-70 percent of you at all Holmen matches. I wish you lived closer I would like to train with you. As you know Glen does not practice. I get bored and distracted practicing by my self. Plus there is no one to push me to get better.

Good luck with your new training agenda, I'll see you at Holmen,

-p2000lefty

Kirk

Kirk.. are you shooting a 5 inch M+P now? I think that will be a bit better for you if you are.

I hope you do train hard this year. That way we can push on each other a little bit. In this game you really need to be a self starter.. odds are guys living near you wont want to train. Very few people really work at this sport.

Ben,

Yes, I have the new M&P. Just completed my set up and the mag. pouches are facing the correct way with this setup. I like it and shoot it pretty well. I'm also shooting the blackbulletsinternational. I'm using the 147 grain. Thought about the 130 grain. What do you think?

-p2000lefty

Edited by p2000lefty

Ben,

Yes, I have the new M&P. Just completed my set up and the mag. pouches are facing the correct way with this setup. I like it and shoot it pretty well. I'm also shooting the blackbulletsinternational. I'm using the 147 grain. Thought about the 124 grain. What do you think?

-p2000lefty

I like the 147s myself. I recommend them.

Getting your mags turned around is a step in the right direction!

Ben,

I'm glad to hear there are GMs out there that don't like the way they shoot while moving. That, along with weak-hand, is my current greatest weakness. It's also fun to see that even though you're a GM, you're not slacking in the 'fixing things I suck at' mentality.

Several local IDPA types have expressed surprise that I am actually dry-firing more now that I made Master. Since I'm in the process of branching out into USPSA (and it's looking like I'll end up a C or B in production)... I expect the desire to improve will increase even more now that I'm mid-pack again.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend you try 3.3 grains of Solo100o under some of those 147 blackbullets. It's noticeably softer than Titegroup, which is saying quite a bit. Downside is that Solo1000 smells like a cheap cigar. :D

Thanks again for all of your articles, and video. Always good stuff.

Ben,

I'm glad to hear there are GMs out there that don't like the way they shoot while moving. That, along with weak-hand, is my current greatest weakness. It's also fun to see that even though you're a GM, you're not slacking in the 'fixing things I suck at' mentality.

Several local IDPA types have expressed surprise that I am actually dry-firing more now that I made Master. Since I'm in the process of branching out into USPSA (and it's looking like I'll end up a C or B in production)... I expect the desire to improve will increase even more now that I'm mid-pack again.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend you try 3.3 grains of Solo100o under some of those 147 blackbullets. It's noticeably softer than Titegroup, which is saying quite a bit. Downside is that Solo1000 smells like a cheap cigar. :D

Thanks again for all of your articles, and video. Always good stuff.

I have a few more lbs of TG to burn up.. then I may try something else. Lots of guys sing the praises of Solo 1000... I just may have to see what they are talking about.

I am happy to see you are practicing. Getting an M card in IDPA is good, but that is just the start man. As soon as you chase down some M class guys in USPSA, you will be very well rounded. Being a master in both is very achievable and with how hard you work I can see it happening.

New drill I started playing with today

The FAST drill. Check it out on my site ladies and gents.

It is a great drill for you IDPA guys. It is really going to tune up your gun handling.

Now, I just need to shoot that plate rack at 25 yards in 3 seconds. Jake has laid down the gauntlet on that one.

I went out today and worked on two main drills.

25 yard bill drills and 6 head hits at 25 yards.

The bill drills went pretty well, but I had a hard time getting under 2.5 seconds with any accuracy. On the upside, I called my shots no matter how fast I pulled the trigger, I just couldn't call As when I cranked on it. 2.74 was my best run with all As. 2.24 was my fastest (2 C's on that one)

On the 6 head hits at 25 yards, under 6 seconds to call 6 good head hits was a good run for me. I think I need to get this drill consistently under 5 seconds.

I went out and shot a bunch more today. I plan to shoot for the next few days, so long as the weather stays warm. It was about 60 today.

I managed to get down well under 5 seconds for the 6 head hits at 25 yards drill. It is tough shooting at that pace, but with practice I think I can do it "on demand".

I spent more time on the FAST drill today as well. The drill is still kicking my ass a little bit, but I am making improvement. There is no part of this drill that isn't giving me problems, but I think with practice I will improve quite a bit.

The other drill I ran today was 7 yard bill drills, but only shooting them one handed. Accuracy was ok, keeping most shots in the A zone. The frustrating part was the feeling of having very poor control of the gun (which with only one hand is kind of how it goes). Much more practice needs to be done on this one.

The harder I work at this game the more work I have to do.

Awesome weather the last few days. LOTS of practice is happening.

I did a brief comparison between COLD times and HOT times. (among a few other ideas) Read more about it HERE

I am getting close to a 15 Hit Factor El prez. HERE is a 3.78 second run.

Reader Bryan has posed the interesting question of elbow position. I am going to take a look at some footage and come up with something. What do you guys think? Elbows relaxed? Elbows up? Elbows down? Doesn't matter?

Awesome weather the last few days. LOTS of practice is happening.

I did a brief comparison between COLD times and HOT times. (among a few other ideas) Read more about it HERE

I am getting close to a 15 Hit Factor El prez. HERE is a 3.78 second run.

Reader Bryan has posed the interesting question of elbow position. I am going to take a look at some footage and come up with something. What do you guys think? Elbows relaxed? Elbows up? Elbows down? Doesn't matter?

WOW :surprise: I had to watch that a few times, that is awesome. I am in your class in Milan coming up soon, I turn the other way, I tried it both ways but now i will have to try it your way again to see if I can speed my turn, I did a 8 second el prez, which is why I signed up for your class.