Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Race" holster Techniques

One additional comment here on the Ghost. If it is chilly when you shoot and you are wearing a jacket between stages be sure to lock the holster in the "down" position. If you point the lever up that jacket you are wearing can actually catch it enough as you move around picking up brass and pasting to flip the lever backwards enough to unlock the holster.

Don't ask how I learned that lesson. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the tips. I tried a couple drills with the holster locked, standing, seated and a running start. There wasn't a noticable time or consistancy difference. I don't think I'll have any problems switching back and forth, I think I'll still start unlocked on the standing stuff, but definately locked on everything else from now on. I hope this thread isn't the reason there's a Limcat in the classifieds now.

Jason

I tried a couple drills with the holster locked, standing, seated and a running start. There wasn't a noticable time or consistancy difference.

No no no....that difference comes at match time...keep practicing it.

I definately will ;)

It sure sounds like our race holsters are a pain in the ass/accident waiting to happen. Especially since we only get a few real "race" draws in any given match.

Race holsters can shine in Steel Challenge (stand still and draw a lot). Not so much ulitity in USPSA/IPSC.

If I could get a kydex or the like to fit my open, that's what I would use.

Edited by JThompson

Love the Ghost, I have done the CR and Limcat, I do keep it locked in the up position when pasting or walking around, locked in down position when a seated start is required, and lock off, for normal draws, if a sprint or fast movement is required, I am either gun in hand or hand on gun while holstered...I have tried the others and ended up back with the Ghost..to each, his own..

I have both the CR and Ghost holster but prefer the CR for securing the gun and the Ghost for speed. Although I have yet to drop my gun from the Ghost at a major match it did drop to the floor at an informal indoor match when someone brushed it from behind. Of course I had forgotten to lock it.

Another time it fell as in my reload room when I brushed against a stool. This time the gun fell on the rear sight breaking the top screw. Frankly I am thinking about a DOH. I just have a hard time making it a habit to lock the Ghost at all times. Maybe if I am DQed at a major match it will sink in.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone timed the difference in a draw from a race holster versus a Kydex-type holster. I would bet it's no more than .25 seconds or less slower. More risk for not much gain. Just my opinion.

Has anyone timed the difference in a draw from a race holster versus a Kydex-type holster. I would bet it's no more than .25 seconds or less slower. More risk for not much gain. Just my opinion.

My fastest draw ever is from a Kydex. I think knowing that if I missed it I wasn't going to throw it on the ground helped. I managed to pull it and get it pointed in the gen direction of the target and pop a DA shot at .66. My fastest draw with my speed rig is mid 70s

My findings are; Zero difference in speed. I'll explain.

I practice draws and reloads alot. More than I should. I should move on to practice my other shortcomings. But being a C shooter I realized the draw and reload was the quickest thing I could learn in a short time because it's just repetition and muscle memory.

From my Guga Ribas holster (L-10 and Open), I can do .70's pretty much anytime from surrender or hands at side. When I shoot production and use a Blade-tech, I can still do .70's just as easy.

please...I'm not bragging. I suck at everything else but I can draw :(

So why not just use a Blade-Tech for everything? Good question. Other than the cool factor, I can adjust the guga a little lower which is comfortable for me and the guga is just plain smooth.

edited to add; the guga and cr speed are the only race holsters I have ever used. If the gun falls out of the guga, it's operator error.

to get the draw speed out of the blade-tech I have to back off the retention to the point that if I stood on my head the gun would fall out.

Edited by DonT

One additional comment here on the Ghost. If it is chilly when you shoot and you are wearing a jacket between stages be sure to lock the holster in the "down" position. If you point the lever up that jacket you are wearing can actually catch it enough as you move around picking up brass and pasting to flip the lever backwards enough to unlock the holster.

Don't ask how I learned that lesson. :rolleyes:

If only I had known this BEFORE DoubleTap this year I would have gotten to shoot more than one stage!!

DOH!