Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.50 GI Conversion for Large Frame

David Sinko

I see that Guncrafter is offering a .50 GI conversion kit for the Glock 20 and 21 large frame. I have a 21 and I like it a lot and the .50 looks like it has a lot of potential, now that we no longer have to bother with the 1911 platform. Have any of these shipped yet? Does anybody have any experience with them? And do they have anything to offer in USPSA competition? I fear a polymer frame .50 with 9+1 capacity will have absolutely nothing to offer for competition but if it maintains the typical Glock reliabilty I can think of PLENTY of reasons to want one.

Dave Sinko

I see nothing humorous about a gun that simply works as advertised. There's a lot of expensive junk out there that would make me want to cry if I bought it, but a reliable .50 Glock would NOT be one of them. If it has no place in USPSA then I guess that's too bad.

OK then... Any pin shooters have anything to say?

Dave Sinko

Ammo cost would be prohibitive for USPSA, as would the reduced capacity below 10. I think the main market is self defence. The heavy bullet crowd has to drool over this thing. I don't do enough pin shooting to have ever loaded specifically for it. But I'm thinking a .50 cal version of the .45 200 gr JHP would have an awsome surface area for grabbing and throwing pins. Could be the ulitmate pin gun.

I guess it is the ultimate 1up carry gun.

Person 1-"I carry a Kel Tek P3AT in my pocket. It's great!"

Person 2-"Well, I don't trust the stopping power of a .380, so I carry a 1911 with 230g Gold Dots."

1up Man-"One day, when you wake up and start wearing trousers instead of skirts, you'll carry THIS! (Pulls out a 50 cal)

I guess it is the ultimate 1up carry gun.

Person 1-"I carry a Kel Tek P3AT in my pocket. It's great!"

Person 2-"Well, I don't trust the stopping power of a .380, so I carry a 1911 with 230g Gold Dots."

1up Man-"One day, when you wake up and start wearing trousers instead of skirts, you'll carry THIS! (Pulls out a 50 cal)

Reminds me of that line from the original Crocodile Dundee movie, "That's not a knife, this is a knife!" as he pulls out the Aussie version of a Rambo knife.

:popcorn:

I can't think of "Plenty" of reasons to have one... but all a guy needs is one reason. You want one.

I find the idea right there with a .460 Roland.... Maybe a guy will have to kinda stretch logic a little to justify having one but..

JEEZ that would be a nasty carry piece! :devil:

I see nothing humorous about a gun that simply works as advertised. There's a lot of expensive junk out there that would make me want to cry if I bought it, but a reliable .50 Glock would NOT be one of them. If it has no place in USPSA then I guess that's too bad.

OK then... Any pin shooters have anything to say?

Dave Sinko

If you want one, by all means, please get one. Just wanting something is a good reason to buy something - just not a prime contender for USPSA.

And yep, I have been a pin shooter and I like Glocks because they tend to work. From a cost and effectiveness standpoint I think the 45 ACP gets the nod. But no, I have not tried a .50 version of the Glock.

When you get the .50 it would be interesting to see a write-up on what you think of the results.

I haven't shot the Glock conversion, but I shot the .50GI 1911 Guncrafter sells and talked to one of the co-owners who makes them. Recoil with 275-300gr ammo making around 220-240pf felt about like 230gr .45acp hardball. No application in USPSA, but might be good for pins or self defense. Jess said their main market was self-defense, not competition.

I'm thinking @ 9 + 1 the reloads would kill you in ANY DIVISION ;)

With the 8 rounds per shooting position it would be do-able. The folks shooting single stack seem to do ok.

Edited by North

I like Merlin's response. Need has nothing to do with it.

I also saw a 9x25 dillon barrel for a glock 20. BOOM :surprise: There's another cartridge that's oh so much fun to R.O.

Backpacking gun however, hmmmmm. Where did I put that phone number?

I figure the rifling will handle cast bullets. Polygonal rifling in a .50 would be an instant turnoff and I'd want nothing to do with that. With the price of bullets these days, I'm casting my own anyway. Brass would certainly be expensive and I'd probably shed the equivalent weight in tears for every one lost. I shoot a lot of Revolver, so I'm accustomed to extra reloads. It looks like this could be a candidate for L-10. And another question is whether or not I'd be able to use the same holster and magazine carriers. I guess time will tell. Realistically, I'd probably have to sell my 35 to do this. The 21 in original configuration will still be viable for Production and L-10, with the .50 a possibility for L-10. Even if it's just a novelty for the local matches, it would still be a lot of fun.

Dave Sinko