Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C&S Ext. Firing Pin

pinger

I have an old 686 with one, and it's been working for years. I have a brand new 625 that i put one in, and in less than 400 rounds it broke. I guess i just liked the idea, but honestly, there's no point in them.

post-14715-1211425962.jpg

Interesting.... The one in my 686 has gone over 5k rounds so far but the one I put in my 627 broke after about 500. Of course, I am guilty of dry firing without snap caps or dummy rounds, which I'm told WILL cause it to break. :rolleyes:

Some folks say it's not required but I like that extra little bit of push and believe it can make the difference in bang or click if the primer is not quite seated.

Gary

I had one break. lot's of dry firing with A-Zooms. I have two back-ups, once I'm through those I'm going back to the original. I would like to hear more about Apex's pin, although I'm told it's the same length as the factory one. <_<

I had one break. lot's of dry firing with A-Zooms. I have two back-ups, once I'm through those I'm going back to the original. I would like to hear more about Apex's pin, although I'm told it's the same length as the factory one. <_<

The Apex pin is heat treated 17-4 ph stainless. Randy told me he has only one failure in all he has sold. I have them in both of my match guns and the one gun has probably a min of 2000 rounds. I do use snaps when I dry fire (which is not enough).

The Apex pin is heat treated 17-4 ph stainless. Randy told me he has only one failure in all he has sold. I have them in both of my match guns and the one gun has probably a min of 2000 rounds. I do use snaps when I dry fire (which is not enough).

I think Randy sells his for under $15 and you get a new spring and a free bag of Apex mojo.

What do the C&S cost??

I think Randy sells his for under $15 and you get a new spring and a free bag of Apex mojo.

What do the C&S cost??

The C&S is $11.50 from Brownells. $9.20 if you're a vendor.

Where can I get an Apex FP to try?

Gary

I would like to hear more about Apex's pin, although I'm told it's the same length as the factory one. <_<

Actually, the Apex pin is longer (.500") than either version of factory pin, and is an excellent product. I have done some testing with the Apex pin, and have found it improves ignition over the current (.485"~) Ti factory pin. In my testing, the best ignition came from the older (.495"~) version of the Ti factory pin, but the available supply of those older pins is quickly drying up. When they are gone I will switch to Randy's pin with no hesitation.

I had repeated bad experiences with the C&S product.

I have an old 686 with one, and it's been working for years. I have a brand new 625 that i put one in, and in less than 400 rounds it broke. I guess i just liked the idea, but honestly, there's no point in them.
They do not improve ignition strike energy, the ones I got were poorly made (I had to rework every one) and their reliability is worse than the factory part.

I don't see the point either.

they should probably change there material. 17-4 is a general purpose stainless. usually age harden which means throw it in a temper for 2 hours at 700 or 900 degrees and still air cool it. not all that hard in my experiences. my 625 is stainless but id rather have my firing pin made out of something between 4130/4140/4150 itd last longer temper it back to like a 48/50 rockwell. ( anyone want to make a few out of 4140 ill heat treat it for you if you give me one ) -CJ

I talked to Bill Laughridge about this, and he said he is switching to S-7 tool steel heat treated and drawn back to about RC45.

That should cure any breakage problems.

thatd be alot stronger than the SS, S-7 is good but man there cutting corners just make it out of A-2 tool steel and itd never wear out. heat treat the same way 1825 for a hour being a small part and pull red hot and air blast to cold. should quench out around a 57/60 then temper it back a bit. glad to see them use something better. i imagine the s-7 there using cause its hard and alot cheaper than A-2. we see the high dollar companies like armalite and RRA use A-2 on tool blocks and you see others save money and use S-7. john deere seems all there tool steel is A-2... who knows all the same long as it lasts.... -cj

I talked to Bill Laughridge about this, and he said he is switching to S-7 tool steel heat treated and drawn back to about RC45.

That should cure any breakage problems.

The tool and die shops he talked to about it seemed to think that S-7 would be the best steel for this application.

Did Bill give any sort of ETA on the new S-7 pin?

Maybe he should have gotten it right the first time, particularly when you consider plenty of uninformed people out there are using them in defense guns. But it's all about the cash and mustache wax over there....

Maybe he should have gotten it right the first time, particularly when you consider plenty of uninformed people out there are using them in defense guns. But it's all about the cash and mustache wax over there....

Yeah, the C&S pin ruined many-a-day for competitive shooters. Good thing I was a member here when it happened to me and it didn't take me to long to figure it out.

Who cares what they cost.....Buy an Apex Pin, and stop worrying about reliability. It cost more than the $3 that you save for a gallon of gas. :ph34r:

I sent email through the website several days ago and have not gotten a response. Can someone pm me a # to call Apex?

Thanks,

Gary

I have been useing the C&C FP on my 625's for about two years and haven't had any problems. I Don't count the rounds but i'm about out of a keg of WST.

I use WW primers and only dry fire 20-30 times a week.

I'm wondering if my use of harder WW primers is giving some protection to the FP.. Federals being softer would let the FP hit the limit pin harder.

Does this make sense? I'm changing over to Federals as I want a lighter DA trigger.

Who cares what they cost.....Buy an Apex Pin, and stop worrying about reliability. It cost more than the $3 that you save for a gallon of gas. :ph34r:

I sent email through the website several days ago and have not gotten a response. Can someone pm me a # to call Apex?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

I spoke to Randy earlier in the week. I will be at the IRC so if you like I can pick up what you need. Let me know.

Regards

Mark