Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Breakage Is Normal?

John Dunn

I have had my STI Lexor for less than a year now, about 5,000 rds of 171 power factor loads through it, with the following problems:

Broken extractor (hook broke off)

Broken rear sight pin

Front sight shot loose, currently held with a safety area peen job and super glue--Thanks Sam!

Hammer started following-fixed by GS with new hammer and sear

Recoil master broke

My Kimber is box stock with probably 15,000 rds through it without a single broken anything.

My question is, is this just to be expected? Should I start taking Gunsmith classes via correspondance to keep the blaster in working order? Does this amount of trouble surpise anyone besides me?

And for all you guys who were going to post advising me to get a Glock...I've already got one ;)

STI Edge in .45 ACP, 167 PF loads - extractor broke @ about 8K rounds - it was the original & ser. numbered to the gun. Dropped in an Aftec and it ran almost 100%. Traditional extractors suck - S&W did the right thing w/ a real extractor in their 1911.

Other than that, I have had 2 leaf springs go down & replaced recoil and mag springs several times. If you buy an Edge, you might want to send it to Dawson or another builder before you shoot it to have it re-worked & de-bugged. Alternatively, just buy one of the custom "2011"s out there - it will cost more but that seems to be how it is.

john,

1) the rear sight pin is not uncommon with the STI bomar copies..get a real Bomar.

2) the extractors take the most abuse on a gun..IMHO. get a spare when you get a new one and have it fitted at the same time.

3) hammers and sears don't go bad that soon. bad fitting probably.

4) stick with the STI, glocks break too.

fwiw,

lynn

Broken extractor (hook broke off)

#2 most commonly broken item

Broken rear sight pin

#1 most commonly broken item. Fit some drill bits and/or allen wrenches as spares.

Front sight shot loose

Heard of it happening on new guns but not old guns.

Hammer started following-fixed by GS with new hammer and sear

I see it on occassion; they go out of adjustment.

Recoil master broke

Seems common based on other threads.

Wow, I don't have that much parts breaking except for some real badly tempered firing pin stops. I think I lost 2 firing pins with that problem. I've cracked a caspian 1st gen frame, and the worst investment I ever did on a 1911 was a titanium hammer it started following through making my single stack full auto or 4-5 round burst. I think I've only ruined one extractor (traditional 1911) due to recutting the hook and made it too thin to where it cracked. Hmmm... that's about it.

• 3 months later...

Broke the spare Recoil Master that went in the gun in June. Started noticing some failures to feed and decided it was time to clean the grubby thing. Noticed the broken flange, same place as the last one. STI is going to replace them both, but for now I'm running a standard full length guide rod and an ISMI 12.5 lb spring with a shock buff. Still had a couple FTFs in practice today, guess I'll take the shock buff out.

Bottom line, my Brazos limited gun is due in a month or so, and I can't wait. I plan to retire the Lexor to back-up status, and perform Frankenstein like home gunsmithing experiments in grip reduction ala Eric Warren, silver soldering the front sight, may try a trigger job. Always been afraid I'd really screw something up, but now the pressure's off and the fun can begin.

When they say the RM lasts for 10,000 rds, I'd take that with a grain of salt, and carry a spare or two. :unsure:

John:

I shot the crap out of my Limited pistol and the only thing that broke was the Caspian fiber optic front sight housing. I have shot the open blaster a bunch, no breakage at all. The extractor busted on my Baer after Tripp did a new hard chrome job. I suppose I have been very lucky. Get that limited gun running by Sunday. Time for you to move up to A class. ;)

Yeah, listen to Erik. I've heard of dozens of Recoil Masters breaking, everyone once in a while, the hook of an extractor will break off and the rear sight pin almost always breaks. Im on my 8th gun with STI type adjustable sights and every one has broken. I took Erik's advice on the allen wrench and have shot forever without any more breaks. That is a great idea, I now just automatically take the pin out and replace it with the allen wrench. Brand new gun in the door gets this done.

I can only say what Lynn Jones said....Get a spare extractor And have it fitted. I, and I do mean I, broke my extractor on my edge at around 8000 rounds ( bad round jammed in the chamber and I smacked the frame forward and the slide back with some vigor...when that didn't work a slmmed the slide forward into battery and fired). No big deal I've got my spare right here! Yea, right, the notch wouldn't fit the firing pin retainer plate. Done for the day!! Sight pin broke right away, replaced it with a drill bit and red lock tite. It now has about another 20,000 on the drill bit and it is fine! I had the front sight loosen up on my 6" gun and I was hot when I found out the hard chromer just hammered it out to the left instead of right. Tightened slot and red lock tite! I don't think you need a gunsmithing course. It sounds like all your problems are behind you! KURT

You got most of the kinks worked out. Extractor, front sights, about the most frequent.

Had the flange on the bbl bushing shear off my Commander during a TCLEOSE class. Asked my 'smith about it. Told him I had between 75 and 90K rounds through it.

Told me, Nothing lasts forever...

Good shooting...

Peening the underside of the front sight base with a sharp punch and a layer of thread seal work well on my loose front sight.

I put an Aftec extractor in about 4 years ago after the standard one broke, its never failed me.

Hope the new gun works better,

P.D.

Well you're absolutely right TL! I could have much more fun in much less time with the hot rod. :D

I was mostly thinking of the recoil master, tungsten guide rods, and the like. There is no way I would want to shoot a box stock 1911. I've got to have a beavertail, good trigger, and sights I can see at a minimum. But, when I hear a lot of guys are having trouble with a gizmo they bought, I wonder if it is worth the price and the trouble. Stuff always waits to break on me in a match. I found after several years of trying cool stuff, that I can shoot my IDPA approved Springfield .45 as quickly and accurately as my tricked out STI limited gun. After 18 years, that .45 I started out with is the gun I always come back to.

Dance with who brung you, swing with who swung you........ ;)

Say what Kyle? :P

Don't listen to these guys John. You obviously got shafted with a real lemon. You will eventually lose all confidence in the gun and never want to shoot it again. Tell you what, bring it to the shoot Sunday and I'll give you $250.00 for the pistol. I'll see what parts I can salvage.

The frustrating thing is that it wants to run, and has run flawlessly for several thousand rounds, and then it wants to puke or break for no reason. If it were a dog I'd put a shock collar on it and teach it to mind. Crappy thing misses ocaasionally, too. Bad Lexor, bad!

No guns or animals were harmed during the typing of this post.

How about this....

If the gun don't run...it ain't no fun.

Of course, some people like to work on guns. Some like to pay to get top-notch gun doctors to tune the guns for them.

I like to focus on the shooting. (and have a few nickles saved for powder and primers)

Oh, for Pete's sake Kyle! You've had five hours to come up with some very crafty tongue-in-cheek way to say "get a Glock" and that's the best you can do? :lol: I was hoping for a full blown limmerick or something. Hey....you feeling OK?

Here, I'll help you get started : Once you go black, you never go back. :wub:

But seriously John, for an active shooter, I think a few broken parts are pretty normal.