Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deep Fried Turkey

Hello All-

I need to learn how to make the best deep fried turkey of All Time.

A few weeks ago I commented about how great deep-fried turkey is. My buddy's wife chimed in that her roast turkey recipe is the best in the world. Just about every woman I've met has bragged that her turkey recipe is the best -- "just like mom made it" or "just how my dad likes it" -- and that there is no other way to cook a turkey other than roasting it. One thing led to another, and now buddy's wife and I are scheduled to go head-to-head for the First Annual Mile High Memorial Day Turkey Cook Off Throwdown Showdown in Anticipation of Thanksgiving Dinner.

I've never fried a turkey. Please edumicate me on the finer points of this science/art. Gracias.

-br

Edited by joker22

Turkey on Fire

Couple of tips:

Carefully test and measure (with water) the exact amount of oil to use. Too much is very dangerous. Too little won't cover the turkey.

Dry the turkey inside and out with a paper towel. Water makes splatter.

I like to inject the turkey with marinade. Get one of those big syringes for cooking. Pick a marinade that is not chunky (no visible spices or chunks), it will clog the syringe.

Get two people to use a broomstick to lower the turkey into the oil. It is much safer, since you can stand farther away and share the weight of the Turkey.

The turkey will make the temp of the oil drop rapidly. Be prepared to turn up the heat to get it back to target temperature, and be prepared to lower the heat, careful not to overshoot.

You might think the bird is burnt, since the outside is much darker (not black) than a roasted turkey. Don't worry about it and don't take it out early.

It took me a couple of tries to get things dialed in. I would suggest you do at least one test run before the cook-off.

I like to inject them with a little burgundy wine and butter, then COVER them with creole seasoning. Heat the oil to about 375, get the turkey in and then hold the temp at 330 or so until it is done. Going in that hot seals the turkey up, keeps it moist and it doesn't get greasy. If you go in too cold it can get greasy and dry out some. Don't let the oil get too hot, it will not be nearly as good. Grab a couple cans of beer and tend the temperature closely.

The ONLY way to eat a turkey that isn't smoked is to deep fry it!! I prefer them smoked but it takes way too much time for me to do it anymore.

Turkey on Fire

Couple of tips:

Carefully test and measure (with water) the exact amount of oil to use. Too much is very dangerous. Too little won't cover the turkey.

I like to inject the turkey with marinade. Get one of those big syringes for cooking. Pick a marinade that is not chunky (no visible spices or chunks), it will clog the syringe.

Get two people to use a broomstick to lower the turkey into the oil. It is much safer, since you can stand farther away and share the weight of the Turkey.

The turkey will make the temp of the oil drop rapidly. Be prepared to turn up the heat to get it back to target temperature, and be prepared to lower the heat, careful not to overshoot.

You might think the bird is burnt, since the outside is much darker (not black) than a roasted turkey. Don't worry about it and don't take it out early.

It took me a couple of tries to get things dialed in. I would suggest you do at least one test run before the cook-off.

Jeff has it just about perfect.

Use peanut oil only!

The two people to lower into oil advise is excellent.

Be very careful or you will burn the house down or roast the meat off your legs .. or both.

Turkey on Fire

Couple of tips:

Jeff has it just about perfect.

Use peanut oil only!

The two people to lower into oil advise is excellent.

Be very careful or you will burn the house down or roast the meat off your legs .. or both.

+1 we do this at our club about 2x a month during the summer.

Measure with water first. We use a large lobster cooker, and never use a turkey over 14 lbs, as they take too long to cook and displace too much oil.

Good eats and we will need pictures when you are done!

:cheers:

ditto on the small bird. i like 10-12 lbs. inject it with whatever you like, cuban mojo(sour orange) is good, and rub it up good with some kind of dry rub, get under the skin. cook for @ 3 minutes per pound with oil at 375, try to keep it up there. peanut is good but vegetable works fine and is alot cheaper. man, i'm gettin' hungry.....

Disclaimer: I work for the company that owns Charbroil Grills

If you do not already have a Turkey Fryer, I would like to personally recomment this:

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/ProductS...ductSeriesID=95

I too think a Deep Fryed Turkey is about as good as anything going. I love the (bad for you) crispy skin. Frying it give you 360 degrees of crispy.

This year Charbroil came out with their new InfraRed fryer - THe Big Easy. As employees we of course got special deals on them. I used it this years Thanksgiving....... WHAT A GREAT PRODUCT. You not only get the same crispy outside and moist outside, but you get the drippings so that you can make real turky gravy with them. And you do not have the Oil to buy and store afterwards. The cleanup is a breeze. I just took the liner and cage, and put them in the oven and set my oven to self-clean and then wiped the parts off.

Again, I work for the company that makes them, but I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Mark

Edited by Mark K

You guys are awesome. I've got great directions for the actual cooking, great recs for preparing and season, and great references for more info. The Benoverse absolutely rules!

Sean -- I am looking forward to collecting some of that turkey fat in my veins -- yummy -- maybe it will help me to shoot more smoothly. Mark K -- I checked out the Big Easy. How does the finished product compare to traditional deep frying?

I appreciate all the input, and will let you know how this all plays out. Gracias.

-br

You guys are awesome. I've got great directions for the actual cooking, great recs for preparing and season, and great references for more info. The Benoverse absolutely rules!

Sean -- I am looking forward to collecting some of that turkey fat in my veins -- yummy -- maybe it will help me to shoot more smoothly. Mark K -- I checked out the Big Easy. How does the finished product compare to traditional deep frying?

I appreciate all the input, and will let you know how this all plays out. Gracias.

-br

Joker,

I found the "Finished Product" just as good if not better. As I said, you get the drippings for gravy, PLUS with this system, you could add stuffing to the bird, like an oven baked bird. My other observations are (shared with our Product Development folks):

1) make sure you tie the wings and drumstick in close to the bird or the wingtips and the bone ends on the drumsticks are stick out and get charred.

2) It comes with a wire basket to put the bird in, and I think it would be easier if it was one of those rigs where a hooked shaft goes up throught the bird.

3) The bottom of the bird got a little dark because is a little close to the heat source. Raising it up an inch or so would be better.

I tell everyone, that I would buy one over a oil cooker every time. I so hated the cleanup on the old ones that I would be weeks getting to it - plus the oil spatter on the deck.......

Mark

I'll add this if you're going traditional --- the peanut oil expands as it heats, so if you're close to filling the pot with turkey and water during the measuring phase, you may want to subtract 2-6 cups of oil from the quantity of water needed......

The alternative is holding the bird half in, half out while someone else uses a turkey baster to remove enough oil from the pot to not spill any over the sides and set the house on fire......

....don't ask me how I know this; I will continue to deny any direct knowledge or experience...... :P :P