Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All throughout school, we were taught that the Spanish word for "Stop!" was "¡Alto!".

Now, with a 19-month old daughter at home, Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer are teaching me that the Spanish word for "Stop" is "Para".

What's up with that?

-Chet

I was in Mexico days before the Space City Challenge match & the big red octagonal signs at intersections of streets said on them "alto". They did NOT say "para". Not sure what you have run into.

Mark

local differences, my spanish is from Argentina. I have lived there for 2 years. maybe it is different in "Mejico".

According to Cassell's Colloquial Spanish the universal word for to stop, to come to a standstill is parrar.

Alto as said before is high or tall. It is also the military word for Halt!, thus it's usage on stop signs. The military usage is often borrowed in to civilian speech.

Edited by Steve J

Some stop signs use "Pare" instead of "Alto". I always associated alto with halt and pare with stop. At least that's what I remember from my youth in Puerto Rico. I haven't been to a Spanish speaking country that didn't use international road signs in 15 years though.

dunno about "para", but when you A/D in those countries, they yell "ALTO". here's an example:

http://web.mac.com/speedoption/Capsl/Movie_ADs.html

Bottom left video is the funniest ...... bottom right video guy gets mad at himself. :P

yea, the truck one at the trophy challenge in Piru...now that was hilarious. soiled myself laughing, as you can hear in the video.

The guy in the upper left video looks like he isn't certain whether or not he had shot 'big jim and the twins" :surprise:

looks like with the holster placement he had, he missed a good chance :roflol::roflol:

fwiw

dj

If I remember correctly, that guy was from Japan. He had saved all year to be able to come over to the US to shoot this match (Steel Challenge) and I think it was his 1st stage. Sad thing about it, the same thing happened to him the year before. But he took it like a true shooter/gentleman and packed up with no arguement. That segment was from Michael Bane's "Shooting Gallery" TV show.