Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi Speed Video

shred

Due to the physics involved, the gun just really can't unlock until the bullet is gone - the bullet is pulling the barrel forward while the gas pressure is pushing the case backwards (and therefore the slide, due to the case sitting against the breechface) - this keeps the locking lugs held tight against one another (front to back) until the bullet leaves the barrel. In theory, the whole slide/barrel assembly can start to move rearward before the bullet leaves, but in practice (as evidenced by video) this really doesn't happen.

What's cool about that 2nd vid is how long the slide stays to the rear relative to the speed of the rearward stroke on the slide.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. These were shot strong hand, with no particular care to recoil control, but if you don't see the dot move, you aren't looking...

Which makes the data even more valuable. If you had 22" pythons holding the gun steady, how far it moved would have less to do with the gun and more to do with the arms doing the holding. What we see here is basically what the gun wants to do, without too many external influences. Good stuff.

Time for business ... where does the line start to ship you a gun and ammo to have filmed?

The super slow shows the comp is doing a great job, the comp actually drops a tiny bit when it is gassing hard, then the slide starts to cam the hammer back and the lift starts. I have talked about multiple recoil pulses in one recoil cycle before and this video very clearly shows them, I think some people thought I was completely off my rocker about it. Awesome stuff, keep putting more up!!! This stuff is incredibly educational!!

What's cool about that 2nd vid is how long the slide stays to the rear relative to the speed of the rearward stroke on the slide.

That gun has an enhanced stroke and an 8 lb spring-- to keep it open a little longer so the next round has a little more time to float up to the top of the magazine. It's interesting to see how much the slide slows down when it picks up the next round too.

Shred, those are really impressive videos. My comment about the bullet in the last half of the first video was because I think you can see the bullet the way you can when the sun is just right and you watch it go downrange. However, your slowmotion video pretty much shows the actions even better.

Once again, very impressive :bow:

dj

Shred, those are really impressive videos. My comment about the bullet in the last half of the first video was because I think you can see the bullet the way you can when the sun is just right and you watch it go downrange. However, your slowmotion video pretty much shows the actions even better.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the bullet going downrange. You can see it in some of the other behind-the-gun videos I haven't posted-- a little black spot zipping along and through the target. Filmed a Glock yesterday, but from the side it wasn't that interesting to look at (insert your own joke about how interesting Glocks are to look at from any angle here). I'll try a top/back view next.

Can you get enough light to get a shoot down into the action?

Probably. Tougher to aim the camera and fire safely like that.... I need an assistant.. any Mythbusters hotties available? ;)

I could swear I see a slight ripple in the slide as well.

I have watched it at least a dozen times and that is what it looks like initially. The more I watch it is the the way the dot mount moves as the slide moves rearward that make it look like the slide ripples.

You might not be able to see it conclusively in the video but the slide does ripple, how much depends on a lot of factors primarily centered around barrel fit in the slide but make no mistake, it moves on firing.

Just a thought, set the camera on a tripod so that you are safely out of the area. I would suggest putting a UV filter on the lense to protect it from brass. You could also get some of those halagen work lights on tripods to light the area as well. Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot. lol

Joe W.

Holy WOW!! Without forearms like a single man you could DQ for a 180 violation vertically with the G20. Now I remember why I stopped shooting my G22 with 200 power factor loads! NASTY guns to shoot.

If you really want to see slo-mo bullet feeding, hit the Tripp Research site-- they did some of a seriously cut-away 1911 and at a way faster frame rate-- more than 2000 FPS

The tripod and lights setup I'll get to one of these days, but it takes forever to get from pushing the record button into firing position at 1200 frames per second... sucks up lots of memory and has to be edited back out later. The UV filter I have already, but I don't think it'll take a direct hit. Somewhere I have a stash of 3/8" Lexan that might be fun to put next to a piece of steel with the camera behind.

Holy WOW!! Without forearms like a single man you could DQ for a 180 violation vertically with the G20. Now I remember why I stopped shooting my G22 with 200 power factor loads! NASTY guns to shoot.

Hmmm...I used to shoot mine (stock G35) with 190pf Blazer. It seemed to shoot flatter than Popeye's Olive Oil.

I still maintain that the G20 is a cheater gun...shoots softer than most.

Hmmm...I used to shoot mine (stock G35) with 190pf Blazer. It seemed to shoot flatter than Popeye's Olive Oil.

I still maintain that the G20 is a cheater gun...shoots softer than most.

I was a little surprised to see just how far it flipped too. Requirements of the camera and setup on a low bench pretty much meant I had to hit record, scoot around, sit down and crunch over forwards in the chair, pick the gun up and fire immediately; not an environment conducive to low flip, but even when firing it didn't look like it flipped that much.

Back before I became a GSSF Master, I shot that gun to a number of wins in those matches so I know how soft it can be, although I wasn't firing 175gr full-power Silvertips then either ;)

Kyle, I shot about 10K rounds of 190-210 power factor through my G22, and I don't want any more. I have the utmost respect for it, but don't really like shooting it. It beats me up if I shoot it a lot.

Hopefully we will cross paths somewhere this summer and I'll show you what I like to shoot, see if you think it is flat. If your G35 with Blazer was flat you will laugh out loud at my major 40 gun.

http://www.trippresearch.com/media/movemen...eedgateway.html

Look at 2:22 or so into the movie.

It looks to me as if the slide is moving back quite a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, or is it just me?

It looks like it... the slide+barrel combo can move together (the pieces are trying to repel each other before the bullet leaves, but the combined unit acts as one piece), but as I remember from a few months ago, most of the smiths thought that much movement in the video wasn't 'normal' due to a combination of light loads/springs and/or not a lot of lockup from milling away half the slide stop pin and back lug.

Kyle, I shot about 10K rounds of 190-210 power factor through my G22, and I don't want any more. I have the utmost respect for it, but don't really like shooting it. It beats me up if I shoot it a lot.

Well...that is a handful for a 22oz gun. for sure.

Hopefully we will cross paths somewhere this summer and I'll show you what I like to shoot, see if you think it is flat. If your G35 with Blazer was flat you will laugh out loud at my major 40 gun.

I don't know how many rounds of that Blazer I shot. Quite a few. The chrono guy at my first Nationals (2001) raised an eyebrow when he shot it. It was 189.9pf, IIRC.

It's a lot easier to shoot 170 pf out of it with TiteGroup.

The G20 probably has some slo-mo flip to it. It has a heavy slide. But, the gun shoots as soft as anything, and isn't slow back on target. It's a sleeper. (Lone Wolf has a 6in slide for it...for those that care. Might not yet be legal...then again, those rules are...special.)

I'm not fan, nor hater, of those 6in guns that seem to be all the rage right now. (I won't even joke that they are almost as gay as an open gun. :) )

I should be more careful with my wording though. Somebody might think I care/endorse all this equipment talk. :roflol: I am really in the meat and potatoes camp of solid shooting fundamentals (with any gun that works). Kinda like fitness. People want all kinds of pills/supplements. Some work, some don't. The gain is marginal with any of them, when what really matters is a solid diet and effective exercise.

(sorry for the drift, Roy)

Ok speed freaks, the latest batch is up.

The Glock 20 held in a decent grip, shooting Blazers. It felt like there was maybe an inch or two of flip when I shot it ;)

An IDPA shooter I know was out learning to shoot lefty with a mini-glock. Check out the impacts on the paper:

.40 Bullets hiiting (used) targets. Next time I'll get some clean ones and maybe shoot a little more accurately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMllnymAwYk

.40 Bullets hitting the berm. Mondo cool factor:

I've got a couple more of me shooting STI limited and Open guns to watch the recoil flow, but I've not edited them up yet.

Oh the hours of fun one can have with that thing !!! ;)

I thought that the berm hits were great.

As everyone else on here, I'm sure, I can come up with tons of suggestions of what to film next.. :D

I once saw high frame slowmo videos of an AR up agaisnt an AK and you quickly figured out why the AK

is not so accurate. The massive carrier moving to the rear made the stamped steel reciever look like it

was made out of rubber! :surprise:

Just throwing out suggestions but any loosely built 3rd world piece would be pure entertainment!!! :D

Other things, how about poping a zip!! :surprise::sick: Just jokeing...