Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testing Compensators

ExtremeShot

The abrasion is the problem. As was already mentioned, an anodized comp will show no wear until the anodizing is gone and then the abrasion will eat the aluminum like candy. Overall the comp will last a while in aluminum, but you will need to sleeve it for a permanent solution.

The abrasion is the problem. As was already mentioned, an anodized comp will show no wear until the anodizing is gone and then the abrasion will eat the aluminum like candy. Overall the comp will last a while in aluminum, but you will need to sleeve it for a permanent solution.

Leo is giving away my "old" secrets ... :angry2::unsure:

But that is the way I used to build my earlier "replaceable baffles" conventional compensators.

Here it goes. (I expect some royalties for this <_< )

Start with a threaded bull barrel. Chuck in your lathe some good quality aluminum alloy round stock. Bore and thread to match the thread in your barrel "all the way through". Now chuck in your lathe some good quality steel rod (SS is ok) and bore to a diameter conmensurate with the bullet bore needed. Then thread the outside to match the bull barrel thread. Now comes the fun part. Cut a length equal to what you will need of the aluminum "sleeve". Make sure it threads well into your barrel, but don't leave the barrel in. Allow around 3/8" plus the length of the first chamber and insert/thread in the threaded steel tube/bore, after impregnating well with a high temp slow cure epoxy. After it sets, move the assembly (minus the barrel) into your milling machine. Now you can go and mill your chambers to suit you.

You will have a nice light weight compensator with baffles that won't erode as easily as aluminum. It will need very little alignement if you kept your boring technique in check.

Oh, yeah. Make sure you give me credit and call your compensators as built by the "Radical Precision" system. :roflol:

btw for your information. I am going to be using an aluminum comp on my new gun. Yes, not for just testing but for real.

Good luck w/ that ;) It'll be interesting to see how quickly baffle erosion sets in... Maybe we need a wager... :lol:

I have a feeling it will be like the batteries in my surefire. It will be great for a while, then all of a sudden it'll start to disappear.

Kidding aside, I wonder if you could coat an aluminum comp in something (besides anodizing it) that would be heat resistant? Duracoat? That Ionbond stuff?

You can have it Chromed. I had White Wolf Custom Refinishing in Florida do some aluminum parts.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Saw something yesterday and had a discussion on these further. Turns out major is bad for aluminum comps if you are really trying to desing huge ports for effective compensator. Saw one that was blown into 4 pieces.

The advantges of making a comp out of aluminum are, cheap, light weight and ease of manufacture. Aluminum cuts like warm butter, even with inferior (dull or cheap) cutting tools, and you can crank one out within minutes without coolant or other special procedures.

weight is it.

Matt see you checking what about if I send you an aluminum one I have and making it out of Ti.

Send me a lathe along with the Al comp and I'll make it for you :goof:

He he he...I got a lathe! :D .....nice to finally meet you Matt. BTW, great job at the SS Nats.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to making a couple aluminum test comps. I decided to make the ports 3/16" in diameter so that I could maximize the number of ports.

My load:

9mm Major

7.0 gr. Longshot

PF=~170.0

Dot Rise (measured on the scale below):

Bedell Titanium 3v:2h Port Comp (2.25" long): 3 to 3.5

My aluminum 4v:1h Port Comp (2.0" long): 3 to 3.5

My aluminum 5v:1h Port Comp (2.25" long): 2 to 2.5

All 3 comps rose up and slightly to the right.

Since I was looking for a rise to about the 1.5 to 2 position, I'm pretty happy with the results of the 5v:1h Comp. I really liked the way the 5v:1h comp felt. However, I'm thinking I might make another 2.25" long test comp but do 6 vertical and no horizontal ports (6v:0h) and see how that compares to the 5v:1h.

Darren

compscomparison.jpgDOTRISE.jpg

Designing comps is fun.. FWIW, one thing I found doing hi-speed video was dot rise and muzzle flip is greatly controlled by grip, and timing. To get a good idea of what the comp really does by itself, you have to shoot either off a rest with a loose grip or completely relaxed and preferably one-handed. Weak-hand off a rest would probably be good.