Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mozambique

JKSNIPER

Dumb question here from the new guy. :blush:

Just what is a "Mozambique" drill ?

Could you tell me also respectable times to shoot it in using a Production class weapon and duty rig (police safariland retention holster).

Thanks for the help.

JK

Could you tell me also respectable times to shoot it in using a Production class weapon and duty rig (police safariland retention holster).

Thanks for the help.

JK

two to the body, one to the head.

usually not too far away.............

As fast as you can with hits!

Sometimes the drill is done on two IPSC targets. Two to the body of the left target one to the head of the right immediately followed by two to the body of the right target and one to the head of the left, six rounds, one string. We use it to work on accuracy and target transition.

There are many variations of the "two to the body, one to the head" sequence.

FWIW

dj

Thanks for the help.

JK

Two to the body, one to the head. I don't know what a respectable time for a retention holster would be.I do them in 1.9-2.10 with a stock 1911 and a comp-tac paddle holster, from surrender position. Subtracting my draw, which is not too fast, I am firing the 3 rds. in .55-.65 sec. which seems quick to me. Once you figure out your draw time that should give you something to shoot for time wise. Hopefully one of the better shooters can help you more than that, I will say this no matter what your time, it's always faster if you hit with the first three!

As for the origin (I could be wrong, please correct if ness.) of the name Mozabique.

Years ago there was a stand-off at the Mozambique Airport. The assailants, rebels, ??, where drugged

up and it was determind that they were not going down with two to the body, so an additional shot to the head was

necessary.

Is this story right ?? :rolleyes:

That is the story everybody repeats, at least. :)

I'll bet a search would yield some info (hint hint). While searching, you can look up "double trouble". We have a thread or two on our local Steel Challenge version of double trouble (which is two to the body, one to the head).

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this seems like reviving a dead thread, but #1 its only a two months old and #2 I found it by searching "zombies" hehehe

gunsablazing tried to answer the OP's question, but I'll expand a little.

For respectable times for a mozambique, I'd say with a stock pistol, drawing from a thumb break holster, wearing a cover garment, shooting at threats 21 feet away, any time under 3 seconds is proficient.

To the original poster, I assume you have all the info you could want on the Mozambique drill. The other question about the time with the Safariland holster, I assume you mean the one with the rotating hood or veil mounted on the belt. That's what we are using, seems like a decent holster, I am much more consistent from this holster than the traditional thumb break but it took a bit more practice. From this holster a decent time would be around 2 seconds at seven yards, about 1.2-1.4 for the first, .25 for the split and .4 or so for the head transition. These split time will vary according to what weapon you are using, we are currently using the HK P2000, not the fastest trigger reset, but better than some DAO's.

I practiced pretty hard to see if I can get under a one sec draw at seven with this holster. I can say it can be done in under 1.0, I got a .78 the other day, but I was definately point shooting, keeping them in the A zone is between .95 and 1.1, but thats just me, and that is also about my average for my single stack rig so I'm sure there are some people on this site that could be in the .7s with A's.

Jason