Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

James Madison

AikiDale

I just ran across this and wondered again at the brilliance of those men who founded our country:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is perhaps the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.

The loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or imagined, from abroad.

James Madison

I have always wondered how the founding fathers could be so right about so many things

so long ago at such an undeveloped time ????

Divine Intervention is all I could think of !!! Great quote... :cheers:

Those dudes were a crafty lot. They sure knew what we would be up against.

They were indeed crafty... Even more interesting to me is that the basics of our governmental style was shaped and defined by a relativily small handful of collaberators. The 'grand experiement' they concieved has worked pretty well!!!

Dale,

Do you know the year that quote is from? It sounds more presidential than of his early writings to Jefferson.

Those dudes were a crafty lot. They sure knew what we would be up against.

They were indeed crafty... Even more interesting to me is that the basics of our governmental style was shaped and defined by a relativily small handful of collaberators. The 'grand experiement' they concieved has worked pretty well!!!

Dale,

Do you know the year that quote is from? It sounds more presidential than of his early writings to Jefferson.

Sorry I don't James. I ran across this quote looking for something else and it did not give an attribution other than who. <_<

I wonder if that quote was from before or after he got us into the War of 1812...

Also known as Mr. Madison's War. President gives a great speech and Congress votes for war. Deja Vu all over again?

Either way he may be right.

:cheers:

I have always wondered how the founding fathers could be so right about so many things

so long ago at such an undeveloped time ????

Divine Intervention is all I could think of !!! Great quote... :cheers:

A few hundred years of rule by a monarchy centered a few thousand miles to the east was my guess.