Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Muzzle Breaks

GrumpyGrizz

Hate to start a topic of an already asked question, but her is my spin:

I am looking for a MB for an HK barrel on a 7.62. What are the Heavy Metal Gunners running? I've read a lot on the forums about breaks for 5.56, but want to know what is avalibile for 308. Thanks.

I've shot a lot of rifles and a lot of brakes, by FAR the Patriot Arms brake is the most effective I have ever shot. I've owned VAIS, Badger, PAI, Jet, and Holland. The PAI brake takes them all hands down. I can post pics if it'll help.

I've shot a lot of rifles and a lot of brakes, by FAR the Patriot Arms brake is the most effective I have ever shot. I've owned VAIS, Badger, PAI, Jet, and Holland. The PAI brake takes them all hands down. I can post pics if it'll help.

Please do.

My PTR has the HK type flash hider on it, but I wonder how effective a muzzle brake will be on the HK type rifle.

At least with my rifle, it seems like a good portion of the recoil comes from that HEAVY bolt and carrier slamming backwards at 1000 mph. It would be interesting to shoot a G3 with a brake to see if it has much effect.

Does anyone have experience with a brake on a G3?

Please do.

I think what makes the PAI brake is it's superiority by design. Of course ported brakes are effective, but the Patriot brake goes another step with internal fins that direct gas flow back about 30*. It would be so simple and inexpensive to take a tube and a mill and bore slots through it, but it's another thing to take a 4 axis CNC machine and tune those ports at an angle that is most effective for recoil.

Benny, who makes your brake? I've seen it on the page, it's similar to many other brakes on the market (the Holland?), if I'm looking at the right one.

CIMG2901.jpg

11-12-06_2239.jpg

1017.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

Been there, done ALL of that.......makes little difference.

It does however make for a prettier, cooler looking brake that costs more.

The gains for raking back the ports are VERY minimal....however they do throw more blast back at the shooter and noise too, but some shooters like that.

There's a secret why we know this.....but if anyone knows, don't tell.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Jered would be glad to discuss why his brake is more effective than other rear vented brakes. He is a top notch gunsmith that has been featured in many national publications.

"Anyone that has used "our" break, not just one that vent's backwards, knows it works better than anything else out there.

I can tell you that venting backwards doesn't make a break more effective but the way in which the gas is actually forced out of our break does."

"We actually had a test performed on our breaks against many others available. The test was not done by us (it was OPS Inc.) nor did we ask for the test just so we're straight. The various breaks were all installed on the same rifle. The breaks were altered to keep the test bed consistant and barrel unaltered through out the test.

I was asked by a very well respected individual in the business "do you think your muzzle break will make a gun more accurate"? My answer was no. I was proved wrong.

I was told a told a very long explaination that went a little beyond my normal capacity.

I'm not sure that I truly understand or by the reason for sure because it's pretty different idea but what does make since is this:

The break is so effective that it's doing two things.

1) Most of the precursor gas is being forced out of the path of the bullet.

2) The design of the flutes is putting enough pressure on the barrel by the precursor gases to help harmonically stabilize the barrel some what.

That being said I have no idea if that's correct or not but it's what makes since to me. I know from my own experience that barrels seem less finicky with our break on them when working up a load.

What I do know for sure is that regardless of how good the design of any break..........if installed incorrectly accuracy will suffer and can possibly be detrimental.

A break will change a barrel harmonically. There is no way around simple physics. A load that worked previously with a break may not work as well without the break or vise versa. If a load was worked up with either the break on or off and had good accuracy. By reversing the role another load shouldn't be far off.

One other thing over looked is the fact that if a bullet enters a break and is slightly off center the pressures around the bullet are not the same and can cause yaw in the bullet.

This is my experience and certainly no rule of thumb."

Jered Joplin

Patriot Arms Inc.

55 Lyle Field Rd.

Jefferson GA 30549

706-367-8881

j_joplin@msn.com

http://www.patriotarmsinc.com

SHUT UP & SHOOT

Life is not a struggle but a challenge and he who perseveres in the end is the one they call a warrior.

Edited by kgunz11

My comp simply does not have side vent's or ports loke yours & others but has a expansion chamber in front of the muzzle that seals off gas & directs it up through a gas port on top for muzzle rise & one at 3 o'clock to take the torque out of it. When properly set up, it has no more muzzle lift than a 223 comp & stays on target for fast 2nd shots. Unless you have gas vented up like a pistol comp, you are going to have muzzle rise, which my comp does'nt. Come to cmmg match & watch it work & try it if anyone wants to.

James question was which comp were the heavy metal guys(as in three gun) were useing. What is expected from a comp for a precision long range bolt gun is diffrent from what is needed on a semi auto gas gun used to engage several targets very quickly at various ranges. The 3 gun shooter would like to get rid of some recoil if possible, but mostly he has to have the target stay in the sight picture during recoil, he needs to see the hit in that plate a 300 yds, or even more important where did that miss hit and he needs to recover for that second shot on paper. The Rolling Thunder will do all that. That Patriot comp is a good looking piece but I dont see it in this game. I could be wrong, just put that break on a battle rifle, go win some big 3 gun matches with it and show me.-----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Mr. Hill - Are those MB rated for full auto .308. My HK51 (V51 actually) could use one. I've been thinking about using that in some rifle/3 gun matches.

It moves like an MP5 but kicks like a full grown mule.

I have a NEW Rolling thunder on my 308 3 gun rifle, and it SUX, :rolleyes: I don't want any of my fellow competitors using it. Please take it from me, spend your money on someone else's less effective brake. ;):lol:

I used it at the SMM3G, and it was very nice to be able to fire at 300+ yard LaRue's and keep them in the rear sight, although only one needed to fired at more than once.

Trapr

Sick'em Benny....but be nice :lol:

I don't know how this got turned into some sort of battle/competition. I have all the faith in the world with Benny Hill, his products, and his craftsmanship, or he wouldn't have my pistol currently.

The original poster asked:

I am looking for a MB for an HK barrel on a 7.62. What are the Heavy Metal Gunners running? I've read a lot on the forums about breaks for 5.56, but want to know what is avalibile for 308. Thanks.

I replied with the most effective brake I have seen. Jered is going to take a .338 Lapua Magnum with his brake and video it firing while on the bench with nothing but a bi-pod. No shooter, just a rifle shooting. He says the rifle/bi-pod won't even come off the table. It is a very effective brake. Is it what other people are using in 3 gun? Don't know, never been to one, but it's THE brake I'd want on any of my rifles. If Benny's brakes work better than Patriots I'd want 5 of them right now.

Benny, are they threaded 5/8 x 24? I might have to try one out.

The 308 comp is 5/8x24, however the 223 comp is 1/2x28 and could be drilled for 308 and the ports added for the 308 version. Call Benny and he can take care of that. Its Triangle Shooting Sports at 361-241-1091.----------Larry

Sick'em Benny....but be nice :lol:

I don't know how this got turned into some sort of battle/competition. I have all the faith in the world with Benny Hill, his products, and his craftsmanship, or he wouldn't have my pistol currently.

The original poster asked:

I replied with the most effective brake I have seen. Jered is going to take a .338 Lapua Magnum with his brake and video it firing while on the bench with nothing but a bi-pod. No shooter, just a rifle shooting. He says the rifle/bi-pod won't even come off the table. It is a very effective brake. Is it what other people are using in 3 gun? Don't know, never been to one, but it's THE brake I'd want on any of my rifles. If Benny's brakes work better than Patriots I'd want 5 of them right now.

Benny, are they threaded 5/8 x 24? I might have to try one out.

Bobby,

I recognize you from SH and have been meaning to welcome you. No one meant that this was some kind of a big debate, most of us know each other here and have spent time together so joking a little is the norm. Trubl (Tim) was probably ribbing Benny more than he was you. Most likely simply one of those times when a joke was tossed out there and isn't accurately interpreted without the requisite facial expressions and vocal tone.

In that light, also know that this forum has some very dedicated competitors and smiths who are constantly trying to ring the absolute peak performance from their gear in a sport not very many other people understand, even guys like George, Jered, Terry, et al. We also have our own group of very accomplished smith's who know how to build the gear that performs in our little corner of the shooting world. Benny is definitely one of those guys and his products reflect a lot of time spent getting them right. I can most certainly say that if you are looking to shoot multiple targets in as short of time as possible call Benny and get 5 of em on the way :D

take care, Craig