Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New rifle for 3 gun (tactical division)

lppd4

I have a new RRA 20" rifle with a free float tube, stainless match barrel, and a Weaver gas block. How would ya'll outfit it for tactical division? Low powered variable scope? red-dot Eotech aimpoint magnifiers, BUIS? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

For that money i would go to a dealer where i can see what i want first ,and compare.....

I compared the Swarovski (with ill dot) with the Zeiss 1,1-4x24 and went home with the Zeiss.

A friend of mine uses the Meopta and a compared them both (Zeiss and Meopta) I went home with a bad taste in my mouth :sick: the meopta is not as good as the Zeiss but it comes pretty darn close.

I think the Meopta is the bust buy for money versus quality and iff you buy one you will never regret it

Seeing you have a large budget for the optic I would look at the Schmidt & Bender 1-4. My second choice would be the NightForce 1-4 with the mildot reticle. If you zero at 200, the mildots generally correspond to a 300,400,500 holdovers. Try to get a zoom lever for it.

A JP trigger is a must.

Cooley Brake or Sure Fire Muzzle Brake (even if you don't have their suppressor, the Brake is very effective).

For a game gun B.U.I.S. aren't necessary however if you plan on making it a truck gun, its not a bad idea to have some. With the low powered variable scope like the NF or SB there shouldn't be to many stages that you would need a short range iron sight. You "should" have time to flip the zoom lever for the long range stuff

Edited by BRADY

Another option for the optics is a new scope from Burris that is in their XTR line. It is a 1X4 but it has an illuminated dot center with a .223 bdc built into it. The other scopes mentioned here are very quality units, and the cost is also up a little bit. With this scope you save some bucks and can outfit your rifle with more cool toys like LaRue mounts and stuff. With this budget, you could buy this scope and mount package and have enough left over to buy an EOTech and LaRue mount for it in addition to the Burris. Have a little local CQB match?, go with the EOTech, have a match with a little longer range?, swap out for the scope with a little more magnification. Either way it sounds like you are on your way to having a ton of fun.

The Swarovski Z6 is going to give you the highest magnification 6x for long range and still have the true 1x power for close stuff. I would definitely want the illuminated reticle version which has a 3 position switch on top of the eyepc . Center is off, left is night and right is day I think. The intensity is push button + and - with memory for both switch settings and I think it also will let you know if the battery is going dead. The reticle color is a bright orange.

We thought this was the best true 1 power scope at the Shot Show for it's zoom range, quality glass, lit reticle, scope size, and FOV in that order. And no I don't work for or sell them(wish I did!) Price is over $2K though :o:(

Next up would be Meopta or U.S. Optics if you would like a little customization and maybe Burris and after that it's hard to remember. Nightforce was not there to look at but I think they might?? make a good true 1 as well. I wish U.S. Optics or leupold would have a 1-6 zoom range available so I could claim America has the best scope for this purpose. But they don't so I can't.

If 4 power is enough for you USO or Meopta are very good. Maybe nightforce or burris but I haven't had enough time with them.

Maybe someone who is using a Z6 Illuminated in Tactical can put some comments on this thread?

For non-true 1 power scopes there are plenty like leupold(what I use for Open) , Horus vision, Ziess, etc. Side note: We did not like the Zeiss rep we talked to at all at the shot show. It seemed he was trying to play us like he was some kind of used car salesman when we asked for pricing. Just seemed sorta shady. That doesn't affect their glass quality but we didn't care for their glass either.

Hope some of this helps.

Nick

quote name='fastshooter03' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:35 PM' post='732961']

The Swarovski Z6 is going to give you the highest magnification 6x for long range and still have the true 1x power for close stuff. I would definitely want the illuminated reticle version which has a 3 position switch on top of the eyepc . Center is off, left is night and right is day I think. The intensity is push button + and - with memory for both switch settings and I think it also will let you know if the battery is going dead. The reticle color is a bright orange.

We thought this was the best true 1 power scope at the Shot Show for it's zoom range, quality glass, lit reticle, scope size, and FOV in that order. And no I don't work for or sell them(wish I did!) Price is over $2K though :o:(

Next up would be Meopta or U.S. Optics if you would like a little customization and maybe Burris and after that it's hard to remember. Nightforce was not there to look at but I think they might?? make a good true 1 as well. I wish U.S. Optics or leupold would have a 1-6 zoom range available so I could claim America has the best scope for this purpose. But they don't so I can't.

If 4 power is enough for you USO or Meopta are very good. Maybe nightforce or burris but I haven't had enough time with them.

Maybe someone who is using a Z6 Illuminated in Tactical can put some comments on this thread?

For non-true 1 power scopes there are plenty like leupold(what I use for Open) , Horus vision, Ziess, etc. Side note: We did not like the Zeiss rep we talked to at all at the shot show. It seemed he was trying to play us like he was some kind of used car salesman when we asked for pricing. Just seemed sorta shady. That doesn't affect their glass quality but we didn't care for their glass either.

Hope some of this helps.

Nick

I put in an order for a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 scope in October and received it in December. I mounted it on my new JP upper the day before Christmas. Last season I used a Meopta 1-4 Kdot and liked it alot, but since my wallet is doing better than my eyes these days, I wanted to try the Swarovski. No dealer in Western Washington had one in stock so I had to buy one to see what it looked like. Overall size is similar to the Meopta, but the Ocular lens is significantly larger on the Swarovski. The field of view on the Z6i is 127.5' at 100 yards vs about 110' on the Meopta. The 6 power top end makes it much easier to see targets at distance. My 4" steel popper now looks like a 6" popper at 200 yds. I've only shot one Tac Rifle match with this setup so far, but it works as well up close as my Meopta did. I'm going to take it out this week and shoot to 400 yds with it to get ready for the 3 gun match in Ephrata, WA next week.

Doug

post-8887-1207026935.jpg

• 3 months later...

I looked hard at the Leupold 1.5x6 with the spr reticle but the 1.5 messes me up pretty bad at close range. I need a straight up 1 power so I went with the Burris. That is a cool reticle on the Leupold that gotM4 has, with a little work you could have great hold over points on the verticle post for those longer shots.