Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picked up the new Burris scope today

Chris Conley

The illumination on most of the 1x4 scopes on the market, with the excepton of the meoptia, is mostly usless. Burris has this same scope out as the euro diamond, same fov and reticle but with posi lock and without the illumination. Midway has them for 499.00.--------------Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fianlly went to the range today and put the scope thru it's paces out to 400 yrds. All I can say is WOW! Shooting a 55 grn Hornady @ 3100 fps and man that scope is the shit. 400 was about 50/50 but if I can get some good ammo loaded up I think that it will perform great. Here's a pic of the layout. My buddies van will give you some perspective.

All I have to say is that reticle is dead on!

post-10237-1213232609.jpg

100 yrds: Skinny Sammy

200 yrds: 6 inch plate

300 yrds: 6 inch plate

400 yrds: MGM flash target

I like it!!!!

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Fianlly went to the range today and put the scope thru it's paces out to 400 yrds. All I can say is WOW! Shooting a 55 grn Hornady @ 3100 fps and man that scope is the shit. 400 was about 50/50 but if I can get some good ammo loaded up I think that it will perform great. Here's a pic of the layout. My buddies van will give you some perspective.

All I have to say is that reticle is dead on!

post-10237-1213232609.jpg

100 yrds: Skinny Sammy

200 yrds: 6 inch plate

300 yrds: 6 inch plate

400 yrds: MGM flash target

I like it!!!!

Chris C.

WOW..............range envy

I just got the Euro Diamond, non illuminated version. Set up nice, easy to pick up the horseshoe. The 200 yd dot is SMALL and hard to see, but other than that I'm a Happy Camper!!! :cheers:

BTW ordered from Midway on Wed and arrived on Friday shipped the cheap way!

Hey everyone -

I have one of the XTR's coming in the mail - to those that have this scope, does the reticle look tiny or does it fill the scope? I had a Meopta for a bit, and I found the reticle absolutely tiny -

Thanks in advance

sw

Reticle is not tiny. It's just right. I think that I posted some pics on the other page of this thread. Enjoy the scope and let us know what you think when you get it.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I shot mine today and at first was not impressed in the least. The turrets were very mushy, and it had horrible tracking issues. I would shoot a group, make my adjustments and shoot another group. The first round would go into my first group and after that my POI would jump to where I had adjusted to. Not impressed for 600 bucks to say the least. After the initial problems the scope seemed to "break in", for lack of a better term. The tracking issues vanished and the turrets seemed to crispen up a little. Time will tell I guess.

My buddy just got one and we put it through it's paces today. Very nice scope !!!

The reticle is just right and I can see where that micro 200yd dot could really come

in handy, I like..

The only thing I did'nt like was that the illumination is not very bright and that the

brightness adjustment is sort of sloppy and turns off in between clicks so if you dont

positively click to the next step it's off ? :rolleyes:

One really cool thing was that we mounted it on a Larue mount right out of the box,

mounted it on the gun, and it took exactly "one" click to the left to sight it in to a 100yds. !!! :surprise:

For the previous post: I'm not sure if this scope is like an ACOG but on that scope you make an

adjustment and then "wack" the top of the scope to seat the adjustment, or fire a shot and it will

seat itself. Meaning, the first shot after an adjustment will still be the same...

Hey everyone -

I received my Burris XTR 1-4 scope today. The glass is excellent, just as it was in a Euro Diamond 1-4 scope I owned previously.

A few positive features:

-Very, very close to 1x - As I have noticed, their seems to be slight magnification at objects inside 5 to 10 yards. At ranges past this range, the scope does appear to be 1x. Two eye use at 1x seems to be very fast, although not quite in the Aimpoint category.

-The illumination is accessed via a real switch, instead of the dreadful green pressure switch on some of the other Burris scopes. The power knob has a protrusion for a solid purchase, and the switch features off positions or dead spots between each level of illumination (a feature I really like). Incidentally, the recoil of 5.56 would activate and deactivate the illumination on the Euro Diamond/green pressure switch setup I owned before this XTR.

-As stated, glass is excellent, much better than an older Burris Signature scope I own. I can detect no yellow tint with my eyes, but did see a very yellow cast or tint with a Meopta 1-4 I owned for a short period.

-30 mm tube.

A few negative features:

-The reticle is very similiar to the horse shoe reticle of the IOR 1.1-4 CQB scope. The downside to this is that it seems to be somewhat small compared to the conventional crosshair reticles of scopes I have used previously. Although this scope has illumination, I fear that I may lose the non-illuminated reticle in vegetation. Testing to come.

-Only the horseshoe is illuminated.

-And as stated, the reticle does wash out in sunlight. This is not a problem for me as I do not intend to use this optic as an Aimpoint-type reflex sight.

-As with many of the newer Burris scopes, the whole occular lens moves to change the scope magnification. This feature can make the use of some flip-up scope caps problematic. I had to sell an older Midwest Industries flip up rear sight because of interference with the scope cap when magnification was changed. I am hoping the newer Midwest Industries flip rear sight is lower and will alleviate this problem.

So far, I am pleased with this optic. For around $600 US, I don't see another alternative in the price range. Once my gunsmith buddy mounts this optic in the LaRue mount on my REECE build, I will post on shooting results.

Thanks for reading -

Slim Whitman

Edited by Slim Whitman

• 3 weeks later...

Just mounted my new Burris XTR 1-4 today! :wub: Had a Larue mount on my AR already, not the LE model. Of course it HAD 1" rings on it, was thinking I was gonna be forking out another $200+ for the "HOT" mount. Called Larue and they sent me the 30mm rings ALOT cheaper than the new mount!!!! Hats off to Larue for their excellent customer service! Now to just find time to get to the range to zero this thing and get ready for Benning!!! Thanks for the peak at your scope at the KY Match Chris!!!!

Steve

Just mounted my new Burris XTR 1-4 today! :wub: Had a Larue mount on my AR already, not the LE model. Of course it HAD 1" rings on it, was thinking I was gonna be forking out another $200+ for the "HOT" mount. Called Larue and they sent me the 30mm rings ALOT cheaper than the new mount!!!! Hats off to Larue for their excellent customer service! Now to just find time to get to the range to zero this thing and get ready for Benning!!! Thanks for the peak at your scope at the KY Match Chris!!!!

Steve

Anytime bro. You should see the throw lever mount that I have made. 1x to 4x is quick and easy. I have to mill it down some and drill out a couple of lightening holes. It is stout to say the least. When I get finished should only weight about 2 ounces.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

So, those that have had/shot both: Meopta or XTR?

That isn't exactly a fair fight. Your talking about a 750-800 dollar scope compared to a 500 dollar scope. You talking a scope that the illumination works great in BRIGHT sunlight vs one that doesn't work well in sunligh, from what I hear. I absolutely love my meopta. If merlin would stop buying them up in under 60 seconds I might get another one lol.

So, those that have had/shot both: Meopta or XTR?

I like them both. The Meopta reticle is almost too simple with just a 2 moa dot and 3 skinny lines, but it made up for that with awesome daytime illumination. The Burris XTR has a much better reticle and easier to pick up and don't need daytime illumination. Both have power rings that are too stiff and almost impossible to turn while on the run.

True my Burris is very stiff and was hard to change on the fly. Not anymore. I know it's a little beefy but I intend to take 1/8th or so off the front and back. Also will add some lightening holes to get it around 2 1/2 ounces. It's very fast.

post-10237-1215871221.jpg

post-10237-1215871234.jpg

post-10237-1215871249.jpg

It will look alot better when it's finished and anodized. Just got to get some time on my buddies milling machine.

I don't know if any scope is better than the other. Just use whatever works best for you.

Chris C.

I'm very pleased with my XTR 14 ILL. especially for the price. I was told that Burris doesn't have the technology to ill. the reticle in full daylight yet their dot scopes work fine. Does this have something to do with the fact it's variable powered?

The illumination on most of the 1x4 scopes on the market, with the excepton of the meoptia, is mostly usless. Burris has this same scope out as the euro diamond, same fov and reticle but with posi lock and without the illumination. Midway has them for 499.00.--------------Larry

The S&B Short dot and the Swarovski Z61 also have good daylight illuminaiton. As does the Trijicon Accupoint.

pat

True my Burris is very stiff and was hard to change on the fly. Not anymore. I know it's a little beefy but I intend to take 1/8th or so off the front and back. Also will add some lightening holes to get it around 2 1/2 ounces. It's very fast.

It will look alot better when it's finished and anodized. Just got to get some time on my buddies milling machine.

I don't know if any scope is better than the other. Just use whatever works best for you.

Chris C.

Nice work Chris! :cheers: Any plan on making a few extra units?

Going to talk to a guy on Tuesday about a price to cut them out on a water jet. When I first talked to the guy he said that they could do them in about 20 seconds and he would charge me by the hour. We'll see.... Every OD on a scope is different. :wacko:

Chris C.

Going to talk to a guy on Tuesday about a price to cut them out on a water jet. When I first talked to the guy he said that they could do them in about 20 seconds and he would charge me by the hour. We'll see.... Every OD on a scope is different. :wacko:

Chris C.

Yeah but you could get a few common scopes and once he has the program its all gravey...