Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#8 .40 cal followers suck

mscott

A friend bought a factory reconditioned G22 and it came with 3 brand new mags. The newest mags have #8 followers and about 60% of the time they ride up past the slide release. I tried his new mags in my Glocks and had the same problem. Anyone else tried the #8 followers? I might try to swap a few around to see what followers work with which mags. His gun works fine with my mags that have #s 4,5, and 6 followers.

Edited by mscott

I have had this same problem with #8 followers. I have only noticed it when the magazine is empty and the slide is forward. Because of this I never considered it a problem. I don't find myself in a position where I am dropping an empty mag with the slide forward.

I have had this same problem with #8 followers. I have only noticed it when the magazine is empty and the slide is forward. Because of this I never considered it a problem. I don't find myself in a position where I am dropping an empty mag with the slide forward.

If everything goes right I try not to go to slide lock.

A friend bought a factory reconditioned G22 and it came with 3 brand new mags. The newest mags have #8 followers and about 60% of the time they ride up past the slide release. I tried his new mags in my Glocks and had the same problem. Anyone else tried the #8 followers? I might try to swap a few around to see what followers work with which mags. His gun works fine with my mags that have #s 4,5, and 6 followers.

Do they not drop free?

Do they not drop free?

No, the follower slips past the slide release tab and you have to pull them out with some force.

If everything goes right I try not to go to slide lock.

Are the #8's in the std cap mags or also in the tenners?

I shoot Glock 40's in production and L10 on occasion, with the 10 rder's that are all that you can legally own in the Left Coast. Sometimes I need all 10 rounds in the mag and a slidelock reload...

Is there an aftermarket .40 follower for Glocks that is the 'hot set-up' for extended mags?

Seems like I remember some by Novak (?), but I cant find them.

I want one that offers just a hair more room for the 20th round.

Did you try trimming some of the plastic off the legs of the factory followers?

Just about the opposite for me as the #8s are the only ones I have that reliably activate the slide stop!!

That's my experience too. The new mags fly out out of the gun.

mscott - do you have an older slide release. I believe there are several versions IIRC.

I called Glock, but they don't acknowledge any problem with the #8 followers. I asked if I could exchange them for #6s, but they no longer stock them. There has also been no change in the design of the slide release, so it's basically find some #6 followers to fix the problem. Glock offered to tweak something to make them work properly, but it's up to me to pay shipping to get the gun and mags there.

I called Glock, but they don't acknowledge any problem with the #8 followers. I asked if I could exchange them for #6s, but they no longer stock them.

I have some #6 followers I'll trade you for the #8's. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

• 2 months later...

MScott,

I am a L.E. Advanced Glock Armorer and I called Glock to ascertain if there was in fact a problem with the #8 followers as we just ordered 50 new mags. The Glock Tech said he believed there was a new updated #8 follower. He said he would have to check with his superiors and would get back to me next week. I'll let you know when I hear something.