Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witnessed My First DQ

Paul Burtchell

I've only been shooting USPSA and IDPA matches since last July, but I witnessed my first DQ yesterday. My son-in law was shooting the first stage at our match in Waco, Tx. He was about half way through and had to stop because of an unset pepper popper. I guess that may have messed up his concentration. When he shot the stage the second time his run was not near as smooth and during a reload in front of a wooden wall he had an AD.

No one hurt, just a startled shooter and RO :surprise:

He shoots a Springfield XD9 that Canyon Creek Custom has performed an excellent trigger job on. It is very crisp and breaks at 2#'s. Really good for an XD. At first my son-in law could have sworn his finger did not touch the trigger. He took the DQ in stride and was a scorekeeper for the rest of the match. I was very proud of how he conducted himself.

After the match and after he had settled down he realized that he must have had contact with the trigger. We're going to take the gun to the range today and function test, but I'm sure it wasn't a gun malfunction.

Overall a very good learning experience for him and for me. I know my day is coming. I hope I handle it as calmly as he did.

Edited by baerburtchell

I've only been shooting USPSA and IDPA matches since last July, but I witnessed my first DQ yesterday. My son-in law was shooting the first stage at our match in Waco, Tx. He was about half way through and had to stop because of an unset pepper popper. I guess that may have messed up his concentration. When he shot the stage the second time his run was not near as smooth and during a reload in front of a wooden wall he had an AD.

No one hurt, just a startled shooter and RO :surprise:

He shoots a Springfield XD9 that Canyon Creek Custom has performed an excellent trigger job on. It is very crisp and breaks at 2#'s. Really good for an XD. At first my son-in law could have sworn his finger did not touch the trigger. He took the DQ in stride and was a scorekeeper for the rest of the match. I was very proud of how he conducted himself.

After the match and after he had settled down he realized that he must have had contact with the trigger. We're going to take the gun to the range today and function test, but I'm sure it wasn't a gun malfunction.

Overall a very good learning experience for him and for me. I know my day is coming. I hope I handle it as calmly as he did.

Glad nobody got hurt. I would test the hell out of it to make sure, but I rather think it was the shooter and not Rich's work. I'm also glad he took it so well and stayed with the squad. ;)

Thanks for sharing your story. My XD also has a CC tringger at right around 2#. I've never had any trouble with it but that doesn't mean your SIL's doesn't have a problem. If so, I know Rich will help.

It's great that he took it in stride. Kept helping out and such. That's the mark of a good man.

The AD probably was an AD. Sucks, but it is what it is. The lesson learned was relatively inexpensive and likely will never happen again. That's definitly a plus!

Glad nobody was hurt!

J

Geez, two shooting son-in-laws, Paul?? :D You know the saying - there's two types - those that have (DQ'ed) and those that will someday. As long as there's no blood in the dust, its a lesson learned. As others have said, its almost certainly a shooter error, but definitely check the equipment over well so that everyone can have confidence that shooter error is what it was... ;)

BTW - tried looking you up at the match, but I was in and out so fast, I missed you. Let's catch up at the next one ;)

Geez, two shooting son-in-laws, Paul?? :D You know the saying - there's two types - those that have (DQ'ed) and those that will someday. As long as there's no blood in the dust, its a lesson learned. As others have said, its almost certainly a shooter error, but definitely check the equipment over well so that everyone can have confidence that shooter error is what it was... ;)

BTW - tried looking you up at the match, but I was in and out so fast, I missed you. Let's catch up at the next one ;)

Sorry I missed you, too. By the time I figured out which shooter you were you had already won & left :cheers:

Yeah, with both son-in law's shooting it gets a little expensive and now the wife shot her first match last week.........

Oh well. the whole family is having a great time.

Hope to see you soon.

Paul,

Startled RO is right! :surprise:

Sunny is a really good dude. He handled it much better than others I've seen; stayed calm throughout and then stepped up and continued to help out the rest of the day. "There's two types of shooters. . . "

Doug

I was impressed with how calmly you handled everything, which I think in turn helped keep Sunny calmer. Thanks for the pointers too. I did not realize my left thumb was riding the slide that high. I don't want to be a pest, but I am really serious about progressing in the sport, so all the help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've seen that happen to a couple of good shooters. It's always a finger in the trigger guard violation and should serve as a serious wake up call. Time to drill fundamentals. ;)

Yepper's. Watch him close next match. In the meantime I guarantee he'll be working on those reloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying it is a 2lb trigger? or thats it's a no#2 trigger?

I've only been into competion shooting for a short time, but I've been around competition/cambat guns long enough to know I don't like super light triggers, I've got a competition single stack 1911 with a 3.5 lb wilson combat trigger group and I would actualy preffer it to be no lighter than 4-5 lbs. My buddy had an A.D. the other day with his 4 lb. trigger Kimber custom.

I actualy preffer my semi-stock Colts with 7 lb. triggers that I use as Carry guns.

P.S. as I told my buddy "finger outside the trigger trigger guard whenever you're not on a target".

Edited by mr1911

• 1 month later...

Even if I was *sure* I actually HAD touched the trigger, I'd still thoroughly check out the gun for proper function of the firing pin block. If those XDs are like almost everything else released the last 20 years, the FP block should stop the pistol from shooting if some non-negligent bump or mechanical failure drops the striker without the trigger also being held all the way back.

I have discovered an inoperable firing pin block once. It was unnerving, as I had placed great value on having a piece with greater drop-safety performance than the original M1911. To find out I really didn't have it...

I do not care who or what we are, it is never nice to get DQ`ed, for any reason. Personally I absolutely detest it. I can never stick around after getting booted of the range. It is so unattractive to chew on your liver in public. I always admire a person that can stick around and be the case picker-upper or scorer or whatever.

Getting DQ'ed sucks! but so does accidently shooting yourself or someone else. glad everyone is ok and valuable lessons were learned. Sunny sounds like a great kid. keep up the family gun time. the family that shoots together, stays together! :cheers: