Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bradford pear trees

vrmn1

They smell like,,,,,,,well this is a family show so I won't say what I think they smell like other than they stink.

AND my wife, son, and I have not been able to breathe for a week.

Edited by vrmn1

They smell like,,,,,,,well this is a family show so I won't say what I think they smell like other than they stink.

AND my wife, son, and I have not been able to breathe for a week.

+100

I hate this time of year too. We've got them all over the area.

My parents had one of these and I hated the freakin thing. Stunk like a corpse, and produced more fruit than the limbs could support so I would have to go over and climb up into the tree to prune it and take down extra fruit. Plus the extra joy of twisting my ankle a couple times a year on dropped, rotten fruit. My mom just loved that tree for some damn reason. I think the new owners cut it down a month after my folks moved out.

our house had a couple of these when I bought it. First one came down during a tropical storm a few months after I bought the house. Just missed doing damage to the neighbors house. Second came down last summer in a thunderstorm a couple weeks after we got the wife's new xterra.... and it JUST missed it. They are fragile when the get full grown, so don't park under them or have them near the house.

-rvb

post-6093-1205719706.jpg

I'm going to have to check...

I though my old house had a nice bradford pear tree in the front yard. But, I don't recall it ever smelling, and it wasn't a fruit producer. Maybe it was't a bradford pear (I don't know trees well).

I really liked that tree...it grew fast and had a nice fill-out. But, it had a 3-way fork toward the bottom and a storm took out 1/3 of it...just missing house. Pretty soft wood, it seems.

Yep no fruit, just smell.

I suppose they smell a bit like rotting meat, I think they smell like rotting male produce bodily fluid.

The person that owned my house before me planted 2 of the damn things.

Even if they were not in my yard the house right across the street has a line of the things so I would still be in trouble.

By some strange development, they deliberately smell like rotted meat. They're fertilized by flies, not bees, and the aroma of putrid meat draws 'em like, well. . . . . . .flies.

Maybe this thing should be renamed Lucifer's Lilac or the Devils Daffodil. Sounds like a plant from hell to me.

Flies?!...Dead Meat??!!

Holy Smokes!

Jim M