Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bringing a new shooter to first match

snertley

I recently took a friend of mine to his first USPSA match. He, my son and I went early so we could help with the set up, which is fine. I am happy to help when I am able. We all had a good time and the match went very well.

Here is my rub. When we finished the last stage we tore that one down. Just the 3 of us. :angry2: There was about 12 shooters in the squad. Granted some had other work to be done or health issues, no problem. So we finish tearing down that stage and walk over to the last stage and its still up. So we tear that one down too. No one to be seen anywhere :unsure: . So we finish and head back to the club house for what was left of the food. <_<

To be truthful I was embarrassed by that.

I hate that so many people love to shoot but never help out with any of the grunt work. :angry2:

Unfortunatly that sometimes happens. Especialy when it's cold or food is involved. If you belong to said club ask the MD/club prez to remind folks at the shooters meeting that squads should tear down the last stage they are on. Then if it doesn't get done he has to tear it down and he won't forget to ramrod the teardown next time.

I too feel your pain and frustration. For a couple of years I was the MD of a local club. I would design the stages, print the score sheets and stage descriptions. On match day I would, a lot of times, be the only person setting up the stages -- sometimes there was help, but a lot of times no one showed up early to help set up. I would sign people up for the match then RO a stage. After the match I usually had some help in tearing down, but not always. I would then go home, check the stats, enter them into the computer, print them out and mail the scores and notice of the next match to all the people on the mailing list. After almost 2 years of it I decided that I had had enough and had other things to do. I not only dropped out as MD, but I also quit shooting IPSC for about 10 years.

It seems to be a problem in a lot of clubs and I don't know the answer. I even tried reduced entry fees for those that helped, but that didn't work all that well either. Some that showed and helped set up the last stage wanted the same reduction in entry fees as someone that helped set up and tear down all the stages.

Weird --- at the Gem County Speed Shooters USPSA matches in Emmett, Idaho we have TOO many folks both helping to set up and tear down! As the MD I rarely get to help tear down as it is usually done before I am finished taking off my gear. Been like that for the last seven years; an embarrassment of riches I suppose! :cheers:

I am in no way saying that at many matches not enough people help. But sometimes people want to help but dont have any direction. Sometimes stages are built the day before, sometimes they are left up and tweaked for other matches. Like the previous poster stated an anouncement at the beginning of the match with instruction on what to do may increase amount of help. Timelines could help also as in setup workparty at 800 briefing at 9 hot at 930 . If a discount is given it goes to the people there helping at 8 not those stragling in at 859 to hang the last target. Then if everyone knows what to do and they still leave at least you know if your dealing with jerks or just people uncertain what to do.

Weird --- at the Gem County Speed Shooters USPSA matches in Emmett, Idaho we have TOO many folks both helping to set up and tear down! As the MD I rarely get to help tear down as it is usually done before I am finished taking off my gear. Been like that for the last seven years; an embarrassment of riches I suppose! :cheers:

YEA YEA!! GREAT FOLKS IN EMMETT!!!!

TG