Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being ready to shoot sooner

Sac Law Man

I am looking for suggestions on practice drills one can practice that would improve their time in a course of fire, specifically getting to a position and being ready to shoot. I read a quote in here from Ron Leatham that says,

"Its not how fast you get there, it how fast you get there ready to shoot".

For me personally, this is exactly what I need to work on. Someone can only pull the trigger so fast and your transitions can only be so qucik. Real time is saved while moving and being ready to fire the second you get to cover.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

I noticed my scores improved alot when I realized how much time I was taking getting into position. Move from each shooting position like your life depended on it. Run, don't walk or jog. Carry the gun high near your line of sight so you will get on target quicker. Get there ready to shoot knowing exactly what you want to do at that firing position before you get there. One thing I also notice is that people seem surprised when their gun goes dry. You should know exactly where you will go to slide lock and have already started your reload. I used to take a long time getting on target from around cover. One thing I actually did was to set up a target around a corner in my house. I would practice running up to the corner with an empty gun to try to setup on target as quick as I can.

Edited by Glshooter

Another great thing is to have somebody video tape as you run a stage. Springer did this for me, and whereas I thought I was hauling azz was in actuality me mincing about on my toes while moving very upright and sloooow. What sometimes in is your head is not expressed physically.

I SO a lot and have noticed that many shooters... after they LAMR don't stand in the stance in which they are going to shoot. That means after the buzzer there is a lot of wasted time getting into the shooting stance and position. Feet shjould be in the shooting position with knees flexed.

I try to be as close to my shooting position as I can before the buzzer.... then to make the least amount of movement in the draw to effect that position.

since i've been throwed out of walmart for practicing "sliceing the pie" 4 times i would like to comment on this..if you have a place to practice,set up a wall [8 to 12 ft long]and put 3 targets at each end from 3 yds to 10 or 15 yds out and just "dry practice " it 15 or 20 times from side to side and be SINCERE about it...first,do it in slow mo,and watch how you are setting up...practice your foot work going in and out to the corner..keeping the gun up...it's alot faster to keep the gun up,raising it maybe 1 or 2 inches is alot faster the rasing it 12 to 24 inches,try keeping the front sight in view while moving between sides..try moving from corner to corner carrying the gun in one hand rather then two..your support hand is there for a balance point,don't tuck it in,but in the same sense don't run like Gumby either...coming into the corner,don't "hug" the wall,no need to..also when coming into a corner,watch how you are planting your foot as not to go past it for a cover call,just practice....and practice and practice.. :cheers:

I certainly am not an expert on the subject, but I continue to hear folks say to run with your gun up. That really does not compute for me. I can run faster with the gun in one hand and use the other one for balance. I have plenty of time to get the gun up before I get to the next firing position.

Joe,

The time gained by running faster is usually lost by shooting later once you have stopped. It is the shooting we are timing not the running. If you are fast an jerky you are usually worse of then someone that is much smoother. Although, by all means drop that weakhand when the need arises just keep the stronghand and the gun up high (not at full extension but almost the same hight as you would when you are shooting).

Moving from place to place should be like driving a car. You do not just jam on the breaks when you want to stop. Also, if you only need to go a very short distance you do not jam on the accelerator.

How you run should depend on how far you have to go. In IDPA it is never really far. So, being more conservative is a better plan. Keep the gun up and ease into your next spot. That is not to say you should not haul getting there but you should slow down progressively and be ready to shoot as soon as you see the first target. It will do you no good to get to a place then find your target and then finally raise your gun to it. Keep the gun up unless you are going to be moving for 25yds or more. If you don't believe me go out to the range and give it a try. Often times when I feel like I am doing something that is slow it actually ends up being faster (because it is smoother).

I was referring to the longer distances - 10 yards or so. When I am covering that distance I know where my "plant foot" is going to be when I stop. We actually are timing the running or better said the distance covered between shooting. I want to get from P1 to P2 as fast as I can. My gun is already up when my plant foot hits it's mark.

It is just easier for me to cover that distance with the gun in one hand. A step or two before P2 the gun is up in both hands.

I was referring to the longer distances - 10 yards or so. When I am covering that distance I know where my "plant foot" is going to be when I stop. We actually are timing the running or better said the distance covered between shooting. I want to get from P1 to P2 as fast as I can. My gun is already up when my plant foot hits it's mark.

It is just easier for me to cover that distance with the gun in one hand. A step or two before P2 the gun is up in both hands.

I don't think anyone was implying running with both hands on the gun and it being "high" in a shooting position. What you described is what most folks do. You haul butt to the next spot with the gun in your strong hand, but you are keeping it shoulder high. This is for two reasons 1) keeping good control of the muzzel and 2) minimizing the distance the gun has to travel to get on target as you come into the next position.

As I start to break coming into a position my weak hand comes up and I begin to drive the gun to the first target. As I arrive with my last step I try to be breaking the first shot.