Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, how many are signing up as pros for this match, and who are they? Just wondering who I am going to get to watch.

Phil listed that in post #97 :)

Those are the folks who would be pros if they registered. Doesn't really answer the question he asked of how many pros did sign up and who are they.

Now there is a trained professional observer for you. You are absolutely right. I just remembered the list and quickly found it on the previous page without carefully reading it. I stand corrected. :bow:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have verbal commitments (and some registrations) from:

Rob Leatham?

Jerry Miculek

Dave Sevigny

Max Michel

BJ Norris

Shannon Smith

Manny Bragg

Bruce Piatt

Angus Hobdell

Taran Butler

Mike Seeklander (but not for score)

Me (same as above)

Mike Voight

I'm sure we'll get a few more, though.

On another note, I'm looking for RO's/Staff to help on Saturday and Sunday. I can't offer much, but you would be allowed to shoot the match for score on Friday. That means you'll get a visit to the prize table...which could mean something big! There will be some minimal expenses covered, so I'm naturally recruiting locally first.

If you're interested in helping, please contact me at philstrader@usshootingacademy.com

Thanks,

Phil

Holy moley, this looks like fun. I don't know how I'm getting there, and I don't care. App is on the way in.

EDIT: Also, can I go ahead and book a fllight for a Sunday slot, or is there a chance I won't get one?

H.

Edited by Houngan

There are about 40 spots left on Sunday. There hasn't been a mad dash in the last week, so I have no doubt you could get in...especially if you don't have a squad request.

Saturday is just a bit more open than Sunday...about 50 openings left.

This weekend's Pro-Am Club match was a hoot, and we only had 119 targets. 300+ will be awesome!

Hope to see you here.

Phil

Just got the official word today, the 2008 Pro-Am is now sponsored by Smith & Wesson!!

S&W has become one of the biggest supporters of the shooting sports, so please remember them during your next purchase. See you all in July!

When do you think we might find out the par times for the stages? :popcorn1:

I've gotten this question a couple of times.

I wish I had a good answer, but I don't. I plan to determine the par times based on what a top professional could possibly knock down if they did everything perfectly...movement, reloads, one-for-one shooting, etc. The only problem is I don't have a great way to do that without the stages being set up.

So far, I've been pretty close at the club level...but sometimes I set them too low (like the first match) and sometimes too high, like a couple of stages this past weekend. Overly low par times will frustrate the shooters, and par times set too high will only result in excessive ties.

I'm looking at the previous stages, the target numbers and distance, the amount of movement, and the use of props to come as close as I can. I will release the par times within the week, but THEY WILL BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

I hope that the par times aren't holding people up from registering. The fact is, they will not be high enough to knock them all down, no matter who you are. The best way to practice for this match is to work on hitting the steel with one shot, work on your dry reloads, or work on counting to 10 and hitting your speed reloads. Everything else will be just like a typical Practical Handgun match. If you're a legit C class shooter, then you can expect to knock over 40 - 59.9% of the number of targets the top person on the stage hits.

I intend to set the par times to where the winning number of targets hit will be about 95% of the par time targets available (270 out of 291 targets). Will I get this right? Possibly not, but I will certainly err on the side of a lower par time. The sense of urgency is what makes the match more fun!

I can't guarantee that everyone will be satisfied with the times or the format, but I can guarantee that everyone who shoots will have a great time!

Phil

When do you think we might find out the par times for the stages? :popcorn1:

I've gotten this question a couple of times.

I wish I had a good answer, but I don't. I plan to determine the par times based on what a top professional could possibly knock down if they did everything perfectly...movement, reloads, one-for-one shooting, etc. The only problem is I don't have a great way to do that without the stages being set up.

So far, I've been pretty close at the club level...but sometimes I set them too low (like the first match) and sometimes too high, like a couple of stages this past weekend. Overly low par times will frustrate the shooters, and par times set too high will only result in excessive ties.

I'm looking at the previous stages, the target numbers and distance, the amount of movement, and the use of props to come as close as I can. I will release the par times within the week, but THEY WILL BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

I hope that the par times aren't holding people up from registering. The fact is, they will not be high enough to knock them all down, no matter who you are. The best way to practice for this match is to work on hitting the steel with one shot, work on your dry reloads, or work on counting to 10 and hitting your speed reloads. Everything else will be just like a typical Practical Handgun match. If you're a legit C class shooter, then you can expect to knock over 40 - 59.9% of the number of targets the top person on the stage hits.

I intend to set the par times to where the winning number of targets hit will be about 95% of the par time targets available (270 out of 291 targets). Will I get this right? Possibly not, but I will certainly err on the side of a lower par time. The sense of urgency is what makes the match more fun!

I can't guarantee that everyone will be satisfied with the times or the format, but I can guarantee that everyone who shoots will have a great time!

Phil

I was wondering about the par times as well and figured that they would be set for a GM to either clean them in the nick of time or have to push it. The other shooters would fall in according to skill level.

This is going to be a fun match !

On stage 7 can you only grab one can at a time? Also, what is the approx distance to the plate racks on stage 7? Might as well practice plate racks at that distance.

Almost all of the steel will be between 10-15 yards. There may be some exceptions that will be determined as we put the stages together. I'm sure the plate racks will be no further than 11 or so yards...and yes, one can at a time!

I received 8 more entries today, and I also got my 2nd sponsor. Only after a few phone calls, I've got 16 guns for the amateur prize table! PLUS, USSA will probably be supplying a couple more with some personalized attention!

There are still plenty of spots left in the match. Please don't wait to register at the last minute! The earlier you register, the smoother things go on this end!

Remember, the match will be shot in one short day! The PAR time format keeps everything moving quickly...PLUS you probably won't need to lift the first piece of steel!

I'm confident that this will be THE next big thing in shooting. It's so much fun, it should be illegal...and if some get in power and get their way, it will!

Lastly, I posted a video teaser of the match at downrangetv's website HERE.

Match rules, stages, and registration can be found at www.usshootingacademy.com/ussaproam.html

See you there!

Edited by gmshtr

Almost all of the steel will be between 10-15 yards. There may be some exceptions that will be determined as we put the stages together. I'm sure the plate racks will be no further than 11 or so yards...and yes, one can at a time!

I received 8 more entries today, and I also got my 2nd sponsor. Only after a few phone calls, I've got 16 guns for the amateur prize table! PLUS, USSA will probably be supplying a couple more with some personalized attention!

There are still plenty of spots left in the match. Please don't wait to register at the last minute! The earlier you register, the smoother things go on this end!

Remember, the match will be shot in one short day! The PAR time format keeps everything moving quickly...PLUS you probably won't need to lift the first piece of steel!

I'm confident that this will be THE next big thing in shooting. It's so much fun, it should be illegal...and if some get in power and get their way, it will!

Lastly, I posted a video teaser of the match at downrangetv's website HERE.

Match rules, stages, and registration can be found at www.usshootingacademy.com/ussaproam.html

See you there!

Phil

I clicked on your link, but I did not see the video, where is it?

Cool deal on more sponsors!!!!

And I agree, your match is visual and marketable, the future for sure if the sport is going to grow.

So, let's see the video!!!!

Maybe Z is QuickTime impaired. Not my favorite format.

My bad. Adobe Flash Player impaired. Still a problem if you don't have the latest update.

Edited by Steve J

Just FYI, we're having some major teething issues with our website as it relates to Competitive Events. We can't contact our web people to fix the problem, so I have no idea when it will be resolved.

Once we get it straight, I will be posting a newer version of the match application. I know that MANY people intend on coming, but there's no sense of urgency. I then realized that it was probably due to the lack of a registration deadline!

I've attached the latest version of the Match registration. Please note that the deadline is JUNE 15th! A $25 late fee will be applied to entries postmarked after this date.

On a more postivie note, Shooting USA has officially committed to cover the match! This will help with sponsorship, which will in turn help with the prize table, then (hopefully) more shooters will come. We've hit a real lull with registrations lately, so needless to say, I'm suprised...and a little worried! :(

I know that you'll be dissapointed if you miss this one! Since our website is down, I've posted a user vid on Shooting Gallery HERE. This is a smaller club match version of the big show in July.

Phil

Match_Registration.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can shoot an open gun, but that would be an expensive practice session. ;)

Remember everyone, that the late fee deadline is next week, so make sure to get your applications postmarked before June 15th!

It's going to be a great time!

Phil

• 6 months later...