Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major loads for OPEN class

MattBurkett

Matt,

I am loading all of my ammo to an oal from 1.155"-1.160" I have been playing with the HS7, and with the 115gr. WW fmj I am using 10.0gr and getting a 170 power factor and 8.8gr for the HS6 for a 169pf. I don't think you'll have much trouble loading to your desired length. The HS7 loads shoot very flat, but with my comp, I am getting tracking side to side, whereas with the HS6 it is a straight back recoil with slight flip, at 15m, my follow up shots are faster with the HS6 loads. I use WWsmall rifle primers. My comp is a four chamber with four side ports raked rearwards. I am "cooking" all my ports, HS6 is the most efficient for my set-up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming! Yesterday I tried 10 of HS7 at 1.130 oal = 160pf. This is in the 6 port hybrid IMM design with a standard 9mm chamber so I am bleeding off a lot of gas first. Going for the HS6 today. :-) BTW 6.2 of Unique under a 115 makes for a really cool steel load. In my gun, it makes a 122.

Waiting for the new chamber cuts and only probably going to run 3 ports on the barrel out towards the comp.

BTW as a disclaimer anyone trying to do this is probably nutz (like me!) so, umm, don't. :-)

Matt, I believe that you will have good luck with the HS6.

Getting the needed amount of the HS7 is hard in such a small case. I am not using a hybrid, but may drill the barrell and up my load where I still have lots of room. I don't seem to have any major pressure signs with the HS6 either. For the small capacity case, I haven't had better luck with anything other than the HS6. You may get the HS7 to work with a 124gr.Good luck!

Was thinking of trying the HS7 with a 124, 125 gr bullet.  Pretty much have given up on the idea of 115's.  Shot some 115's using N340 and well, umm, sorta like blew the primers out.  Still like the N350 best, would love to try some 3N38.

HS7 isn't the trick with the hybrid and 115's. At the short length I was having to load them because of the ogive on the Montana Gold bullets (1.125) they were having pressure issues.

HS6 with 9.2  1.125 oal MTgold 115's WSP = 1505 fps   IMM BurkettOpen  :-) Still a bit too much kick though.

HS6 with 8.4 1.170 oal Win 124's WSP = ? Imm BurkettOpen not sure on the the velocity. Will be chronoing today. The gun shot incredibly well last night at the steel match until issues on the last stage.

http://members.cox.net/rio-practical/text/tue_nite.txt

Will have more info later today.

Take care,

Paul wrote: "Still like the N350 best, would love to try some 3N38"

If you want low pressure, heading in the direction of 3N38 is the way to go. I read that 3N38 falls between N-350 and N-105 as far as burning rate.  I have used BOTH of these powders in 9x23 and frankly, the N-105 loads generate such low pressures that there are NO discernable pressure signs on the small Remington rifle primers I use. It looked like the primer from a dud round - just an impression from the pin and a nice round edged primer.  This was not the case w/ major N350 loads where there was some flatening of the primer.  If 3N38 is indeed between N-350 and N-105, it may be the answer to your problems.

HOWEVER, the N105 loads I use are severly compressed in the larger 9Supercomp cases I use; not sure if you will be able to fit enough powder into the 9x19 to get to 165PF even if pressures are acceptable.  

What about hte use of jacketed hollow base bullets? Sure, it'll lead up the comp more than a JHP, but it might get this project off the ground w. the 115 grn bullets we want to use.

How the primers look depends on the brass. Sometimes the crappy brass is self-decapping. hehe Anyway in the 6 port yesterday, 8.4 was a 162 pf with the 124's trying 8.6.

BTW the powder is extremely dense. 1 pound of it doesn't fill the powder measure to the top. There is still and inch or two of air!

We will see what happens in class today!

:-)

Shucks:

Wish i could contribute but its about -20 below wind chill

and have 7 inches of snow- I dont like to play and be

miserable to: Have any of ya tried Tightgroup with

9mm yet-Like I said before Ive tried HS-7 with

similar results as you all N-340 Kinda scared me

3n38 at 9.2 makes major easy but its kinda full up

Rick Hebert at BP Tech uses sp-2 with 115's.Ill

do more soon as I gets alittle warmer.And I get

the barrel from Wil Scheumann.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 n 17th st.

Omaha Ne 68110

402 451 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

Well its starting to look like HS6 with a 115. Interestingly enough, it doesn't have any issues feeding or extracting. A full 29 rounder feels like it has 5 rounds in it feeding off the top round!

Ejection is another issue. What a pain in the ass to get it to work. Will be working with it more this week and see if I can get it nailed down. Will post what I did to get it to work consistently.

Matt, how much powder did you end up using? Also, what are you using for primers? I am considering a 9x19 top end, just for the sake of cost of brass. I'm assuming the ports in your barrell are using up alot of the powder, and how are you making out for accuracy? My 9x21 major loads print decent groups at 20-25m. Good luck!

9.0 of HS-6. NOW THAT WILL PROBABLY be too much for anyone elses gun. That is with the IMM 6 port Hybrid. Be careful and if you blow yourself up, too damn bad. Yur stupd.

The load prints well, no issues at all with brass pressure, slight primer flow but still haven't had any clickers.

Matt, use a full length EGW ejector. Ever so slightly break the edges on the bottom and ejector port side. You should end up with a square nose with a slight bevel on those two corners. You should get a straight out the side ejection. Hope this helps

Matt or Paul,  Looks like HS6 and N330 has about the same burn rate, is HS6 a denser powder?

Well I guess it depends on which chart you look at http://www.vihtavuori.fi/ shows that there close but here http://www.hodgdon.com/ it shows that it is closer to 3n37.  Which is it?

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 2:02 pm on Jan. 24, 2003)

Jon,

Not sure as I have never used N330.  I can tell you the 9 grs of HS6 only takes up about 2/3 of a 9x19 case.  Much denser that N350 which was almost spilling out at 8.2 grs under a 125 gr. bullet.

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

I have worked up a load that so far is generating an average velocity of 1314 FPS (164 PF) out of a 5 inch Briley barrel and Comp (G17 Open) with Montana Gold’s 357 SIG bullets (125 Grain) with a COAL of 1.145.  The powder that I'm using is Hodgdon's Longshot.  

(Edited by ryucasta at 9:44 am on Feb. 16, 2003)