Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Advice

Malfunction

I respect the advice of the people posting here. I am seeking advice on buying a shotgun for clays, I am shooting trap more than anything, however I do shoot sporting clays occasionally.

I have shot a friends Browning 525 and I love it however I can't come up with the money, I continually look for used guns on the web. I have read and talked to lot's of people who tell me that a good quality over and under is best and as a second choice a Beretta 391.

I have found a few Technis Gold 391's fortunately I was warned away because they are nearly as expensive as an o&u. I recently found a Urica 2 30 inch barrel for a reasonable price not as fancy but basically what I am looking for,however it is in Mo. the seller has no previous history on the site. I am leary of sending a Postal money order across several states on the hope that I will receive what was advertised, or that I will receive anything at all.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bill

Trap is the most gun "specific" of the sports, so if you goal is to be the best "trap" shot at the club, then a "trap gun" is probably best. If your shooting trap for fun and will shoot sporting and "whatever", I'd look for sporting models.

That will narrow down your search and gun style.

Then O/U or auto...or money may decide for you? How much do you want to spend?

A Browning 425 is virtually the same as the 525, probably $1500 used. Beretta 686, 687 series O/U's in the similiar range or cheaper. Beretta 390, 391's and variants along with Remington 1100's are good considerations IMHO.

There are reputable "shops" with websites like Jacqua's, High Grade shooters, Coles, Millers, etc, etc, etc, that you should be able to buy with confidence. Meaning, 3 day return, should be a good gun, etc. As opposed to sending a check to "someone" on the "net" that has a picture of a gun. ;)

As always, try as many as you can at the "club" for as long as you can. Often, good buys at gun clubs too.

I have been shooting Trap for years. From experience if you shoot only Trap get a Trap gun. I wasted alot of money on the wrong guns for the game. Myself I use the Remington 870ct 30" barrel. Ideally an O/U is best then a semi auto second. Semi's need to be kept very clean or they jam on you at the wrong time.

Beretta 682's are nice, Browning Xt's are cheaper and they shoot very too. Beretta 391 or Remington 1100 bothe fine guns many poeple shoot the in my area.

Gun fit is a big deal n Trap. Adjustable combs and lenght of pull recoil pad adjustments really will help you score. I have shot sporting clays, skeet and 5-stand with my Trap gun I come from a famly of Trapshooters and work at a couples clubs loading targets before the automatic traps came out.

Hopefully my obeservations will aid you in some way.

Ken

If you are looking for a reputable person to deal with call Joel Etchen at Joel Etchen Guns. They have a great web site. Joel is as honest as they come and is also the largest Beretta Target Shotgun Distributor in the US. They usually have an excellent selection of used guns and you cam take Joel at his word as to the condition of the gun. If anything he is on the conservative side. Tell him Chris in Jax, Fl told you to call. I have no connection with Joel or the company. I have bought and sold guns back and forth with him for many years. He is also an excellent trap shooter.

A sporting clays gun will shoot trap and clays well enough. A trap gun on a clays field ... never seen anyone do it. Could be done, but way less than optimal.

Save your money, sell a couple guns, get exactly what you want to shoot. It'll be worth it in the end just in your satisfaction. I bought a Beretta 682 for the simple reason that a 30 - 32" unported Browning with a sporting stock either doesn't exist or is about as elusive as the snow yeti.

And, for what it's worth, you can buy a totally custom Beretta 68X from Cole's (http://www.colegun.com) for what I feel is a VERY attractive price given the typical prices of Krieghoffs, Perazzis, etc.

If you just can't pony up the $$$, then a used 391 with a 28"+ barrel and a forend weight from Beretta or Briley is the ticket. I really prefer an O/U just because there's nothing going on between the first and second pulls of the trigger. You don't notice it until you shoot an auto for a while then go to an O/U. It's a really trippy sensation because you hit the trigger, then subconsciously wait for the shotgun to do something.

FWIW...

Edited by EricW

I shoot ATA Trap and putz around with skeet and sporting clays. My gun is a Beretta 391 Urika 2 Parallel Target. Is it the best tool for breaking targets in Trap? Maybe, maybe not. But it works for me.

I've tried one retired trapshooters OU and after a couple cases through it I just couldn't get the hang of it. Not a problem with the gun. The gun and I just didn't mesh. Happens. The point I'm trying to make is if it's at all possible, shoot a few boxes through the gun before committing to buy.

EricW's advice is spot on.

I shoot a lot of clays - Trap, Skeet, but mostly Sporting Clays. I never had a problem braking Trap targets with my Browning Gold Sporting Clays 30" or Beretta 391 Urika Sporting Clays 30". I suggest that you start with a Beretta 391, 390, or Browning Gold - if (when!) you get the over/under bug - you can get most of your auto money back or keep for a back up.

How serious are you about trap? That is the main question. You could get an all around gun for sporting and probably practice enough to smoke local B-class shooters on the trap field. But if you want to go all the way, meaning AAA-class, 27 yard handicap, and doubles, get a quality over and under with an adjustable comb and another gun for fun.

I will probably end up shooting more trap than anything else, I live four miles from a great trap range. The nearest skeet or sporting clays range is thirty miles away. I'm sorry it took so long to reply, I was out of town.

Thanks very much for the great replies.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Browning XT is the best buy in a trap ou. They don't shoot as high as some trap guns and will work for sporting clays and skeet too, I've used one for both and shot ok. As said trap uses the most specialized guns in clay bird shooting. If an XT is out of your budget a used 682x Beretta or Browning trap can be found for less. If you were only shooting trap and not shooting doubles the Browning Bt99 single barrel is the very best shotgun for the money.

For a do all gun the 391 is a good choice especially the parallell comb one. Have an adj comb put on and raise it up for trap and down for skeet/sporting. Make sure you get a 10 buck shell catcher or you will be very unpopular at the trap range. The 1100 is also a good choice for a do all gun without breaking the bank. I have a remington 1187 sporting and a 391 that I have setup for sporting clays with the wenig stocks and they are both reliable guns. I mainly shoot skeet and have a very versitle gun for that as I have krieghoff with 32 inch barrels with the 20, 28, and 410 sub ga tubes, 34 inch single barrel, and 32 inch trap barrels. The comb is adjustible and have spacers made for each barrel set, just loosen 2 screws, slide the spacer on for the barrel and the sight picture is right for each barrel. They shoot differently but the sight picture is exactly the same

Sorry, I disappeared for a while. I appreciate the great advice I always get here, I have decided to save my pennies and buy a Browning O&U, I found a range that rents a variety of Browning shotguns and they have Trap, Skeet and a great sporting clays course. I intend to try a 525 sporting and an XT and see what works the best. July is my birthday and thats my goal.

Thanks Bill

Whatever you do, figure out exactly what you want then just buy it. Don't try to rationalize it. Don't listen to the "yeah, but you could buy *that* for $53 less and it will do exactly the same thing." Visual appeal really does matter too. Shotguns are supposed to look good. Buying sex appeal is always in good taste.

I now have exactly what I've always wanted. I don't regret it for a second. I realize it was worth every penny I spent, each time I pull it out of the gun slip. :)