Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian

Putty

You might want to proceed with caution in terms of parts selection. Take a look at the thread on the Western States SS. I believe a shooter who used the Capian frame was over weight and was bumped into... nowhere (no Open class) and shot the match for giggles with no score.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=687385

What our friend Gary is trying to say is that D5.23 states "Permitted Features-Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover."

And, of course, the gun is 43 ounces or less with an empty magazine, as per D5.18

Darn .PDF format making me type... :blink:

Alex

Yeah. The evil gamer gun is back from the gunsmith. He milled out the frame under the grips so that the openings on either side are similar to "standard" 1911 frames. He did warn me BEFORE I purchased the frame that the Race Ready magwell was a pain in the ass. Sometimes I don't listen very well. I also had to have the magewell opened up a LOT. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have bought the STI Duty Frame.

SSFrames-Duty_280w.jpg

It has nicer checkering on the front strap and is already cut for the .250 beavertail. I really like my Race Ready frame and the gun I had built with it does kick ass but it wasn't quite "race ready" when I got it. <_<

-ld

Passive agressive? Only to the keyboard because I couldn't cut and paste ;)

Oddly enough, I have one of these out in the shop right now. The slide machined and fitted, and now I'm waiting on my next shipment of barrels so I can finish it off. Luckily I have a postal scale so I can make sure that I follow the directives of D5.18 and have it under 43 ounces with an (un)loaded magazine. I like shooting open, but not with a skinny gun :D

Alex

Edited by Wakal

Sounds like the race ready could have issues trying to adjust the frame to the SS sideboards? Reason I ask is I am getting ready to have the gun built and may have to go another direction entirely. Anyone see any problems with just the recon frame without the coupled magwell?

I borrowed this pic from Caspians website. I think this is the frame we are talking about (I assume a carbon steel gun, but don't know that this pic is a steel frame or not):

post-690-1204496818.jpg

possible issues?

1. The length of the light rail with regards to the SSD rules ?

2. The weight of the gun?

3. The actual utility of the built in magwell, when compared to others...like the S&A ?

It will be easier with an "unloaded" magazine :cheers:

Unloaded? Is that a gamey hint that an "unloaded" magazine could mean would could use the a mag to lose some of that weight? Any old mag? No spring...no folllower...no base pad...holes drilled ???

Unloaded? Is that a gamey hint that an "unloaded" magazine could mean would could use the a mag to lose some of that weight? Any old mag? No spring...no folllower...no base pad...holes drilled ???

Oooooh. Gamer, I like it. I'm thinking some kinda aluminum mag that would bust open if loaded. Spring stretched out and cut up so that it wouldn't even push up a round. Tiny plastic follower. :lol:

Thanks to my vague post initially.....DOH! Reason is I dont know enough to ask the right kind of questions. Sounds like the magwell is a weight issue as well. I thought the light rail might not meet the SSD ruling but this has been cleared up.

That's it.

1. I believe the light rail is within spec.

2. It adds weight to a gun that is already going to be close to the max weight. Costs $$ to get that fixed.

3. I prefer a S&A magwell.

Thanks Matt. My single-stack is a Caspian carbon steel frame and slide. No real cuts other than that to install the Bomars. It wears an arched S&A mag well and a steel full length guide rod. From what I heard, that might be a bit close to weight...not over, but close. ??

The thinking here seems to be that the light rail on the [race ready framed] gun meets the length rule, but the other stuff might put it over the weight rule ?

Good to know. (I think I need to dig up the thread I recall on postal scales...)

Oooooh. Gamer, I like it. I'm thinking some kinda aluminum mag that would bust open if loaded. Spring stretched out and cut up so that it wouldn't even push up a round. Tiny plastic follower. :lol:

Chrono mag ?

That is where they'd check. And, it might need to feed 3-4 rounds. (I load 4 when I run chrono, so the slide doesn't slam home on empty for guns with disabled slide stops.)

Funny how I jumped right there (to gaming), huh? It's like Gary was speaking to me... :unsure:

Flex,

The picture is a Caspian Race Ready, from what I can remember that gun is SS legal.(I built it)

Caspian makes alum. main spring housings, the frame under the grips can be opened up to loose weight. The magwell can be opened up a little but with a little welding it can be really opened up wide and deep. The dust cover can also be trimmed shorter if desired.

Rich

Sounds like the race ready could have issues trying to adjust the frame to the SS sideboards? Reason I ask is I am getting ready to have the gun built and may have to go another direction entirely. Anyone see any problems with just the recon frame without the coupled magwell?

Anders,

It sounds like you are doing a double-duty gun here (light railed for home use)...or just trying to get the balance of the weight out front a bit?

Either way, going with a railed gun seems to put the gun closer to the weight limit. And, some type of magwell is probably going to be desired? I know I'd want one.

And, I just reviewed the rules... no slide lightening other than what has been traditional cuts, it seems. So, weight would need to come (mostly) out of the frame (like Larry did). Maybe a bit can be lost on the slide...

Hmmm...lots of choices to be made.

I'd make sure your gunsmith knows the plan and the rules...have him buy the postal scale.