Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading technique with moonclips

Revopop

I just acquired a Carmonized 625, and 100 Ranch Moons arrived today. I made up some dummy rounds, and I'm just wondering what exactly is the proper technique for getting the moonclip into the cylinder. Do I drop it in? Do I push it in? Do I throw it in? The cylinder's got a nice chamfer, so if I just drop it it seems to go right in, I'm just wondering if that can be made consistent enough.

Any input from the old salts will be appreciated, especially any revolver-specific dryfire drills. Work constraints won't allow me to shoot the season opener on Sunday, so I'm resigned to fondling, wait I mean dryfiring, my new wheelgun. Thanks, y'all.

Whatever you do, make sure that you CONSCIOUSLY LOOK at the cylinder when you are throwing the moon into the cylinder. It is like topping the ball in golf if you dont have your head down. Most people when they Biff a reload looked at the cylinder when they had the moon in their hand, and didnt finish the task before looking up to the target to acquire the next shot....Same holds true when reloading an auto if you dont look at the magwell opening when reloading.

That helped me a bunch.....

Good luck Wheeling,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

JM has said that he drops them in from several inches away. I've seen video of him pushing them in also.

On some of my fastest, match reloads I've had the RO comment that it looked like I dropped the moonclip from a foot away.

I didn't because to move the gun down, or to bring the clip up, enough for that would be wasteful.

Get a good stroke on the ejector rod then take the Revo down close to the carrier, bring the moonclip out and above it slightly and drop it in. Look at the cylinder holes, keep the Revo pointed down and try not to close or move the Revo before the clip is in!

Practice and you'll find what you need.

Good Luck

Make sure the revolver is hel as vertical as you can, and look at the cylinder as you drop the moonclip. As you get better and better at it, you will be able to seat the rounds from farther away, but with good, practiced technique, you will always be about the same distance away.

+1 on Doug Carden.

Looking is most important, but don't just stare. You have to mentally figure out how the clips and the holes are alligned, so you can visualize a succesful reload before it happens. By "realizing" what you see you will somehow create a bridge between what you want to happen and what is happening at the present time.

A trick I used was grabbing the clip so I "feel" the position of two of the bullets. I also look at the two holes these bullets will go in.

Two is an easy number to see quickly and also enough to have a perfect allignment.

I hope this makes sense...

Edited by spook

+1 on Doug Carden.

Looking is most important, but don't just stare. You have to mentally figure out how the clips and the holes are alligned, so you can visualize a succesful reload before it happens. By "realizing" what you see you will somehow create a bridge between what you want to happen and what is happening at the present time.

A trick I used was grabbing the clip so I "feel" the position of two of the bullets. I also look at the two holes these bullets will go in.

Two is an easy number to see quickly and also enough to have a perfect allignment.

I hope this makes sense...

That does help. Thanks for all the input, guys. I made dummy rounds with some LSWCs that I wasn't using, and I definitely need to make some more with RN bullets.

Glockopop, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but Waltermitty posted some reload videos a while back click here the vids are linked on the second page if they are still visible.

Thanks, Bubber. :bow: If a picture is worth a thousand words, then those vids are worth 10 thousand. It hadn't occurred to me to hold the moonclip like I hold a speedloader, but after seeing it and then trying it, I don't know why I thought of doing it any other way.

Heres some more video of reloads....

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=...&CID=170878

41mag

edit...trying to get link to work....and it seems I can't

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=...&CID=170878

edit....I give up for now...cant get link to work...sorry

edit.....I think it only don't work on my computer....worked on the wifes.....

go ahead and give it a try...both links are the same thing

41mag

Edited by 41mag

• 4 weeks later...

Quick and dirty theory, you want to drop the clip rather than push, because when it is dropped the rounds are free to jiggle in the clip, so they should help themselves fall into the cylinder. If you apply pressure, you're going to trap one or more cartridges that will hang up, if they aren't perfectly aligned from the start.

H.