Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video editing software?

Just got a camcorder, need some simple video editing software for cutting out unnecessary footage and maybe adding some text type titling. Any recommendations? Free software would be really great.

Ok thanks for the help. I got MS Moviemaker working and it's pretty easy so far. One problem, the only way I can get anything off the camera (panasonic HDD/SD model) is to use the included software to download it on the computer. Then the MPEGs it creates I cannot get open in MS Moviemaker, so I have to convert them to wmv files using MS media encoder which takes forever. Is there an easier way to go from camera to something that I can edit in moviemaker?

I use Sony's Vegas Movie Studio on a daily basis and it is very simple and you can capture your video very easily with it....I also use Adobe Premier but Vegas is my "go to" tool when in a rush.

Good luck.

You should be able to get your videos off the camcorder using movie maker. Plug the camera to the computer. Then - file - capture video - next - next -next - play, wait till the scene you want to start on - start capture - wait for the scene you want to end - stop capture - finish. Then do your final edits in moviemaker.

I started with movie maker but have since switched to Ulead videostudio. It's what I'm using to make all the madtrigger stuff. Real simple to use with some extra features. The part I like the best is the way it optimises the video for the net. I get better quality videos at a file size that will stream on the net.

Ok thanks for the help. I got MS Moviemaker working and it's pretty easy so far. One problem, the only way I can get anything off the camera (panasonic HDD/SD model) is to use the included software to download it on the computer. Then the MPEGs it creates I cannot get open in MS Moviemaker, so I have to convert them to wmv files using MS media encoder which takes forever. Is there an easier way to go from camera to something that I can edit in moviemaker?

Here's a cool utility to convert the mod files to reguler mpeg2 files, i use this to download from my panny sd camcorder.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t132937.html

Edited to add link.

Edited by ong45

Here's a cool utility to convert the mod files to reguler mpeg2 files, i use this to download from my panny sd camcorder.

I think you forgot the link. I'd love to see it:)

Windows Movie Maker works fairly well, you may need to add some codecs if your video format is non-standard:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

My little Aiptek HD camcorder needed codecs added to handle the h.264 format the camera produces. On a 64bit OS like Vista64 or XP64 I have had nothing but problems.

Adobe Premiere is very handy but it certainly isn't free.

iMovie, Cinerella and others are available on Linux and Macs if you're part of that camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, but this may not deserve another thread.

Just picked up a Panasonic camcorder. Using SDCopy to convert .MOD's to MPEG-2's and preserve 16:9 aspect ratio. Got Movie Maker to import them, but sometimes it doesn't grab all the files I selected - not a big deal, just annoying.

The real problem - after playing with Movie Maker for a ~5 minutes, I get a fatal error (blah blah "memory could not be read", or some such) which shuts down Movie Maker and doesn't always save my progress. Not doing too much heavy duty editing, just arranging clips. Has anyone else run into this? My computer rarely has these fatal errors, but it does it every time in MM...

Just spent several hours showing my Dad how knowledgeable I am with video (yea right) ... TRYING to get his little Panny HDD to play with Windows Movie Maker..... No joy.. Then I see this thread and find I am not alone anymore. :)

I haven't had any trouble with Movie Maker- but I would like to get a program that with allow picture in picture. So I could have the 1st person view and 3rd person view playing at the same time. Anyone have a suggestion?

Just read a bucket of reviews... Ended up with Cyberlink PowerDirector 6. Looks like it was the best of the cheapie programs and it will take care of the MPEG2 files from the Panny.

I will report with how much hair pulling it requires a little later. :ph34r:

Guys

Does it take really expensive software to be able to superimpose one image over another.

Like if you wanted to show two attempts at the same stage to see where you made/lost time.

al

Just add a video track in your editor timeline, drag the 2nd attempt onto it, and add a video effect to the top (second run) track dropping opacity by about 60%.

I know this will work in Premiere Pro or FCP and should work in most others that support multiple video tracks.

Guys

Does it take really expensive software to be able to superimpose one image over another.

Like if you wanted to show two attempts at the same stage to see where you made/lost time.

al

In Movie Maker (free w/Windows), drop the two clips onto the Timeline (switch from Storyboard if you're in that), then drag the second clip over the first until it aligns where you want it. Not perfect, but the price is right.

Here's a quick-and-dirty clip I made a while ago from some club match video-- http://www.shred2.net/~shred/ipsc/WacoOverlays.wmv. I didn't do anything to the brightness levels since all we cared about was the relative positions of the two shooters, but it's possible to correct for all that as well. Works best if you leave the camera on a tripod and don't dink with it.