Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Glock "Guppy" 40 brass?

cledford

I've got a ton of once fired .40S&W brass that has come out of Glocks with OEM barrels, some from XDs. Basically, I pick up all of my brass when shooting at the local indoor and the other shooters (most of whom are shooting .40 Glocks or XDs) don't mind if I pick theirs up either. Since the range doesn't allow ammo other than what is purchased through them I know it is all once fired stuff - and the great part is that it is all mostly one head-stamp. (They carry federal for the most part but every once in a while sell WWB)

So, I'm about ready to start reloading for .40 - but have heard for years about loose Glock chambers, budged (Guppy) brass and KBs. Add onto this I called LWD yesterday about a cut rifled barrel and was told I would likely have reliability issues in his (LWD and KKM) barrels with reloaded brass out of Glock OEM barrels - stating that the LWD & KKM barrels have "match" chambers and that since dies don't actually full-length resize (taking the chamfer for the die mouth and the top of the shell holder into consideration) some cases would end up not chambering.

Any advice on this issue? I currently would be reshooting the loads in a OEM Gen3 G22 barrel. I’m also considering picking up a LWD or KKM cut rifled barrel if I decide to shoot lead.

I've heard of some companies producing extra long dies, but JR said even then there might possibly be a problem. It seems a huge waste to toss the brass but also don't need KBs or unreliable guns.

Thanks for any input.

-Calvin

Edited by cledford

Or do as i do ;)

I bought from a guy here in The Netherlands, once fired Fiochhi .40 Glock brass. Bougth an EGW U die. And a friend of mine grinded 2mm of the Die.

First picture : EGW U die standard sizing

Second picture : EGW U die minus 2 mm

Gives you full length sized brass that will feed reliable.

post-11998-1203712731.jpg

post-11998-1203712744.jpg

I had a Lone Wolf barrel once, and sold it on the forum. Struck me as odd that the cheapest barrel was the most intolerant.

Anyway, +1 to Flex -- I've tried a couple different dies, etc, and in .40 the Lee 4-die set is your medicine. It's not the FCD die in the last station so much as it's the sizing die in the first station. Supposedly the EGW die is the same, or 'better', even.

A Case Pro is a wonderful solution. The cases are roll sized from the bottom, then you die size them from the top and end up with ammo you can drop into the chamber without touching the rim (well, almost). Roll sizing is the nicest solution, but many have reported positive results with proper die selection and tweaking.

A Case Pro is a wonderful solution. The cases are roll sized from the bottom, then you die size them from the top and end up with ammo you can drop into the chamber without touching the rim (well, almost). Roll sizing is the nicest solution, but many have reported positive results with proper die selection and tweaking.

Exactly what I will say.

I purchased a CasePro100 and it is the cat's meow.

Both the EGW U-die and the Lee Factory Crimp Die address this problem from different sides. I use the Lee FCD and have no issues with reliability going into a tight Bar-Sto .40 barrel......

I use both dies, ditto for the 38 supercomp. Double insurance.

I believe EGW modifies the Lee U die by grinding a bit off the base to make it his own.

I took the advice of people on this forum and use the EGW sizing die, a Redding micrometer seating die, and a Lee FCD on my Dillon 650. I have loaded a lot of brass fired from factory Glock barrels and had no problems. The EGW U die takes the bulge out no problem. Its a great set-up.

I use dillon dies and KKM barrels in my 35 and 34. After loading, I run them all through a case guage. Maybe one out of a hundred wont go in the guage. The ones that wont go in the guage I put in a seperate box marked "practice" to be used in practice sessions. Ive never had a problem. Most of my once fired brass I pick up is from glocks.

You can search that. It's been posted about over and over. Maybe George from EGW has even posted about it.

Common internet re-speak is:

- Lee regular carbide re-sizing die (sizes better than Dillon, gets lower down the brass because it has less funnel to it)

- Lee U die (like above, but has a more narrow diameter, thus the U for undersized)

- EGW Lee U die (internet re-speak says that it is a U die that then gets even further down the case)

Try them all out in a test and report back to us. :) Oh, add the Dillon die in there too.