Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you request a review of the timer?

G-ManBart

I disagree with the statement "It is not specified in the rule book."

9.6.1 After the Range Officer has declared “Range is Clear”, the competitor

or their delegate will be allowed to accompany the official responsible

for scoring to verify the scoring.

Since your score is your points divided by your time the statement "to verify the scoring" gives the shooter the right to review the timer.

I can see where that interpretation of the rule's wording can mean reviewing the timer. I never said you couldn't review, just that the rules don't specify "the shooter can review the timer" in those words. But, verification of the scoring, in my opinion does mean that you should be able to verify your time. Good point.

Even if the rules weren't worded that way, it's still no problem to review the timer.

Troy

It's a good habit to get into checking your scoresheet against the timer if you possibly can. I caught a few tenths being subtracted from one of my stage times accidentally at the Euro Champs last year. There aren't that many timers out there that you can't learn to pull the last-shot split off most of them pretty easily if you suspect something.

I can not even begin to comprehend why an RO would deny a review of the timer. Heck, I have even reviewed the timer (when ROing at the local level) with a competitor as a teaching tool. Of course, I only do that when time allows.

I wonder if there is an NROI ruling on reviewing the timer as part of the verification of the scoring process as others have noted.

I'm with Ron on this. Why would a RO, even a local match RO, not want to make sure that time was correct ?

It's a good habit to get into checking your scoresheet against the timer if you possibly can. I caught a few tenths being subtracted from one of my stage times accidentally at the Euro Champs last year. There aren't that many timers out there that you can't learn to pull the last-shot split off most of them pretty easily if you suspect something.

I'll just add one caveat --- the RO must be certain that the time he's getting, whether during review or not, is the correct time. If, for any reason an accurate time can not be determined we have either RO or Range Equipment Failure, and it's reshoot time for the competitor....

I disagree with the statement "It is not specified in the rule book."

9.6.1 After the Range Officer has declared “Range is Clear”, the competitor

or their delegate will be allowed to accompany the official responsible

for scoring to verify the scoring.

Since your score is your points divided by your time the statement "to verify the scoring" gives the shooter the right to review the timer.

I can see where that interpretation of the rule's wording can mean reviewing the timer. I never said you couldn't review, just that the rules don't specify "the shooter can review the timer" in those words. But, verification of the scoring, in my opinion does mean that you should be able to verify your time. Good point.

Even if the rules weren't worded that way, it's still no problem to review the timer.

Troy

Can't imagine any RO refusing to review the timer for the purposes of verifying the score.

That being said, a lot of Level 1 matches are essentially practice sessions for some shooters. I have seen a shooter ask for repeated timer reviews because he wanted to, "check my splits on mag changes."

That's not verifying the score -- it's holding up the action for the following shooters while a shooter analyzes his training program. If it's a squad where it's a bunch of buddies shooting together, then it's no problem as long as we're not holding up a squad waiting on the stage. But if it's a mixed squad or we're on a long stage with a short squad coming behind us, it's really not considerate to ask everyone to stop while we step through the times.

I think there is a slippery slope here having to do with the total number of shots being recorded in the timer's memory. It is possible due to stage construction or a slow (lazy) Ro not keeping up with the shooter during the course of fire that the timer may miss some of the intermediate shots. The important shot is the last shot! That being said the last split is usually what usually needs to be verified.

What happens with case of not getting the last split recorded correctly??? The last shot may be correct but the proceeding shot was missed, do we then go to a re shoot? It comes down to a judgement call at some point for the RO.

I do beleive it is the RO's duty to get it right and that sometimes things happen to cause time to be added to a competitor's run, as previously described, and if the RO can review splits and determine that inadvertant time was added, it should be adjusted accordingly. The shooter should always get what was earned! If I know how many shots were taken and the timer has the same count, I feel much more confident about making an adjustment. This action is taken usually when I (the RO) bumped the timer and I know the final recorded time is wrong.