Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best progressive/single press combo?

LonghornAR

Hello everybody,

First off, I'm a newbie at reloading. I've started off by reading books like the ABC's of Reloading and Lee's Modern Reloading. I'm at the stage now to start gearing up, and I'm looking for a single stage to cut my teeth in. I've got my heart set for one of the blue's, but everything I've read suggests that single stage is a good place to start and it'll still have a place on the bench even with the progressive. I'm thinking of a RCBS Ammomaster-2 which would allow me to develop loads for any cartridge up to .50BMG. Aside from load dev, I could use it to prep or swage brass since it's got greater leverage than one of the smaller single stages. The Forster Co-Ax is another press along those lines. What are your thoughts on this?

I started off with an RCBS Rockchucker, added a Co-Ax, then a 650.

I sold the Rockchucker a few years ago and replaced it with a Redding T7 Turret for precision rifle. If I had it to do over again I'd have just bought the T7 for a single stage and added the 650s.

I would suggest that you would be better off with a SDB than a single stage press. The hassle isn't worth it. Dillon's progressive presses are easy to use and understand. Not to mention less prone to errors as a single stage IMHO. The SDB comes all set up and dies are factory adjusted to simplify things even further. Plus you are getting a machine that is capable of loading 500 rounds per hour vs. a SS press that would wear you done to load even 100! Do yourself a favor and talk with Brian or another Dillon representitive about your options! :cheers: You will be glad you did!

If you really feel you must have a single stage press, buy a 550, put only one die into the toolhead and do not index the shell plate. :rolleyes: If you want turret press, fill up the tool head with dies but put only one case on the shell plate and index it all the way around before you put on the next case. :rolleyes: If you want a progressive, keep adding cases. :rolleyes: If you want a faster progressive, add the case feeder. :rolleyes:

4 Presses for the price of one! :goof:

Later on, use the 550 for load development and get a 650 or 1050 for volume production!

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

If you really feel you must have a single stage press, buy a 550, put only one die into the toolhead and do not index the shell plate. :rolleyes: If you want turret press, fill up the tool head with dies but put only one case on the shell plate and index it all the way around before you put on the next case. :rolleyes: If you want a progressive, keep adding cases. :rolleyes: If you want a faster progressive, add the case feeder. :rolleyes:

4 Presses for the price of one! :goof:

Later on, use the 550 for load development and get a 650 or 1050 for volume production!

Later,

Chuck

Oh yeah: Welcome to the forum!

That's a clever explanation! I totally agree though, I've used a 550 for over 25 years with only one regret, that I didn't buy a 1050 sooner!

Thanks for all the replies! I forgot to include in my initial post that I'm starting with .223 and .308. Pistol calibers are in the near future, and that's where Dillon makes a nice entry onto my bench once I'm a veteran with the single stage. I guess a question I do have is how much real estate does the 550 and 650 take up on a bench? Assume I deck out a 550 with a bullet tray and strong mount and a 650 with casefeeder, bullet tray, and strong mount. Could I squeeze those two into 4-5 feet of bench with ample room to work them? If the answer is yes, I'll just start with the 550, toss in a 650, and then some single stage that can handle .50 later.

I have 2-5' long benches. One has 2- 650's on it and room to work. The other has a Forster, the T7 turret, two large bench vises and there's still room to use

case trimmers, scales and anything else I need.

eta: typo's

Edited by Scout454

the redding big-boss is a beautiful thing....sizing rifle brass on a progressive ain't that great of an idea. check out the redding variable shell plates. you get exact headspace for your particular gun. you can't do this on a progressive very well, i don't care what anybody here sez. most of the guys chiming in here can't even spell headspace.......

If your starting with .223 & .308 then going to pistol calibers I would opt for the 550. The press can handle your needs and one can get dies & stuff everywhere for it. Had my 550 for 15 yrs.....I love it. Like I mentioned earlier I have two 1050's and a 550 set up with large primers (45 ACP). I will probably get another 550 for small primers.

Yeah the guys are right for you to start with a 550B. I started with Lee turret presses and loadmasters. I then switched to Dillons 550B and have never looked back at any other press. I have though just acquired a 650XL to speed up my pistol reloading. I have never reloaded rifle but know that if I am going to start that I will not have any problems doing so with either press.

I started with a Rock Chucker back in the late 80's and used that until I had a need for volume pistol ammo. My wife wanted to actually see me sometime and bought me a 650 for Christmas in 97.. I still like having the RCBS around for small batches. Switching out the shell holder takes about 10 seconds and loading 50 rounds only takes a few minutes prep. I like it when I'm trying to find a load but don't want to mess with the 650 (it's usually set up for whatever volume caliber I'm loading at the time, currently 38 spl). I have an RCBS powder measure that I use for working up loads also.

I'm still married to my sweetie who bought me the 650 :wub:

Good cheap starter is a lee turret press doing sizing and priming in batches and then seating charging and crimping with three pulls. Nice and cheap, and now it laods my .308 for my bolt action with it.

The horady lock-n-load also isn't bad to learn on as it is cheap to run it like a single stage as the bushings lend themselves well to doing that.

Honestly, if you also shoot rifle on the side having a separate turret press is nice regardless of what you use for bulk loading.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CoAx, Dillon 650, and a Lee Classic Cast .50bmg and purchased in that order. The 650 is for cranking out the rounds in 9mm, .40, .45acp, .223, and .308 while the CoAx is used for prototype or loads for a .45/70 and .338 Lapua Mag. The Lee Classic Cast is used primarily for .50bmg since I already have Forster lock rings installed on my other dies. I also have a hand press for depriming/bullet pulling duties using a Hornady cam-lock.

If I went with the Lee Classic and converted it to use the Hornady lock-n-load bushings I probly wouldn't have purchased the CoAx. If I would have bought the Dillon 550 first I wouldn't have bought the CoAx as it does .338 Lapua Mag, there was a rumor about Dillon working on a .50BMG conversion of the 550, that would have negated the purchase of the Lee Classic. Also if you are looking at using military brass, go ahead and throw in a Dillon Super Swage 600 or if you have the money the 1050 but the Super Swage is considerably cheaper...

With all that said I highly recommend the Dillon 550 but, you still might need a single stage to do bullet pulling duties so perhaps a Lee Classic Cast as well.