Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IE

BigDave

I've been working on my website for about a week now. It is pretty slow going, but that is okay - trial and error, live and learn, life is grand. I get some logos and a banner built, I download a free HTML editor (Taco). I write, preview, write some more, preview, etc. My preview was all done in Safari. My main browser is Firefox, no worries there either. I start to think "hey, this ain't half bad!!! Not to shabby for a no-nothing if I don't say so." Oh, but too quick I was at arriving at that that conclusion. <_<

I have a buddy (Mr. Ball) preview the site because I built in an info page for statewide uspsa matches. "Hey, your stuff is all jacked!!!" (disclaimer - Mr. Ball doesn't use that language, I'm paraphrasing) WTF??? I go and check the site on my work machine (IE only) - dammit!!! Safari, Firefox and SeaMonkey all loaded it fine, but oh no, not IE. IE won't load .psd images. IE only supports certain colors. [Taran Butler voice ON] What the hell? [TBV /OFF] What kind of hacks does Gates have there in the stable? Are you serious? I have to re-format perfectly good pages that run on 3 browsers (2 of which are open source) just to work on that POS? :angry2: If there isn't a special circle in hell for the a$$clown that makes this necessary, I'll be happy to go down there and make one.

Folks, if you're not running Firefox, you should be. It is free and it works. Tab browsing is just so much better, it really is. And SeaMonkey is really worth a look, especially if you want your mail client in the same package and a nifty little HTML editor to boot (and an IRC client if you're into that. SeaMonkey is free also and it (for me today) works really well.

IE can rot in hell.

I am right there with you on Firefox; I love it. IE's constant "upgrading" is why I've stuck with HTML4 all these years. It's not flashy like the XML or Flash apps, but it always works. (and I'm too lazy to learn any more new code). I think it's funny that Dell is now advertising that you can still buy PC's with XP instead of Vista. lol

For what it's worth, I.E. now has tabs, but not as good as those in Firefox. MS also has the lions share of the browsers out there because IE comes with the OS. I use Firefox on my machine. At the office I have IE. Your web page must be IE friendly, unless you only want users who don't have it.

I bet there are utilities out there to check your web page code for IE compatability. Sorry about your luck and best wishes on the new site!

:cheers:

Tried Firefox a couple of years ago. Wouldn't work with Quickbooks/online banking. Had to stick with IE <_< Or to clarify that, Quickbooks prefered that you use IE. Not sure if it would work now.

DonT

retry firefox, the original version I had a few years ago didnt work well with online banking but it works great now.

Agreed. Several sites that gave "oddness" with FF now work fine. I think it's combination of refinement in FF and web designers realizing not everyone is using IE anymore.

I use IE 7 on my Notebook and Firefox on my old desktop.

IE 7 is much better now and I have no need to install Firefox on my notebook.

A lot of times I have to forward pages instead of links to people and Firefox will only let you send links.

If I wasn't using the internet to make a living, Firefox is fine.

FM

IE- no way man, it`s rotten with spy-ware and dog slow. Have been running Firefox for years and Thunderbird as e-mail program. Does my home page get hi-jacked- no never. Do I still get e-mails about medicine for making my "winki" larger, hell no. (The only reason I know about it is that all my friends using MS stuff is complaining.) I have been testing "Gran Paradiso", the new Firefox for about a year now. Had one site crash on me, so I tested it with IE 7 and the site did not even open fully. Mozilla is the way to go for for me. Fast, reliable and dependable, seriously the way to go for a person that is serious about the internet.