Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm ammo...reloading?

Ridgerunnr

OK..bulk ammo aint cheap even bulk...anyone care to share a nice load for Production class shootin 5 in Tactical XD?

I load for rifles and have never loaded for handguns so have all the relaoding stuff except dies unless more is needed than I dont know about...

OK..bulk ammo aint cheap even bulk...anyone care to share a nice load for Production class shootin 5 in Tactical XD?

I load for rifles and have never loaded for handguns so have all the relaoding stuff except dies unless more is needed than I dont know about...

Most of the pistol shooter migrate to a Dillon progressive reloader for the high output and quality.

The low end of that is a Dillon Square Deal B (pistol only, proprietary dies). It will crank out a nice 300-400 rounds in a sitting.

Many like the Dillon 550 for it value. It's progressive, but you index it by hand.

The Dillon 650 gets you back into auto-indexing and the case feeder option kicks things into high gear. I've run mine at an easy 800 rounds in 45 minutes (having had 8 primers tubes).

Then there is the monster 1050...add in an after-market bullet feeder and approach 2000 an hour (if you can feed it materials fast enough).

In a pinch, I could see loading 200 rounds on a good old Rock Chucker. I've even known a guy to load his play ammo on one of those hand-held units from Lee.

The Winchester 100 round val-u-paks at Wal-mart used to be the best deal around. They probably still are (just more than we were paying a year or two ago), but shop the local sporting goods stores for specials.

Alot of folks load the 147 grainer of some sort for a production load. I shot 147's for a long time and then tried the 135 Zero FMJ and loved it. Now I'm loading the 124 Montana Gold CMJ and like it even more. There is a difference in feel and recoil perception. The heavier bullets tend to be a slower push with a little muzzle rise. The lighter they get the flatter and snappier they are which is what I like. I like the perception of extremely fast slide speed.

Try 3.2 grains of Titegroup under a 147 grn. Zero or Montana Gold hollowpoint or 3.8 grains under a 124/125. Load anywhere from 1.12-1.15 oal.

The Precision black bullet is also popular and one of the more inexpensive bullets to load. A bit smokier but very bearable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new at this but for what it's worth....I recently Chronograph these 9 MMs.

115 gr. Win FMJ Flat Base, 4.1 Bullseye, OAL 1.114 Avg FPS 1111, = PF 127

115 gr. Win FMJ Flat Base, 4.2 Bullseye, OAL 1.114 Avg FPS 1160, = PF 133.

124 gr. Frontier Copper plated RN, 4.1 Bullseye OAL 1.114, Avg FPS 1115, = PF 138

Larry P

Does anyone have data for 115 bullet using wst?

Thanks

I don't know what type of load you're looking for exactly but, 4.4 | 4.7 Grs. WST under 115 Gr. Rainier with OAL 1.156 is accurate and pleasant to shoot for me.

Thanks for the info I'll try that.

Chef

• 2 weeks later...

this is what i have for the 115gr using W231 and WST...sorry no chrono data...looks like it pretty much alignes with D.Manley's post

Caliber Bullet Bullet Bullet Powder Powder Primer Avg OA Notes

Weight Style Brand Brand Charge Brand Length

9mm 115gr Plated RN Rainier W231 4.3gr CCI small pistol 1.150 Initial 9mm load / somewhat light

9mm 115gr Plated RN Rainier W231 4.5gr CCI small pistol 1.150 Good accuracy / overall good load

9mm 115gr Plated RN Rainier W231 4.7gr CCI small pistol 1.150 A little hotter than 4.5 with slightly better groupings in initial testing

9mm 115gr Plated RN Berry's W231 4.8gr CCI small pistol 1.150 Same as 4.7gr

9mm 115gr Plated RN Berry's WST 4.2gr CCI small pistol 1.150 Good, relatively mild load…accurate

9mm 115gr Plated RN Berry's WST 4.3gr CCI small pistol 1.145 Good load…accurate

9mm 115gr Plated RN Rainier WST 4.5gr CCI small pistol 1.147 Good load…accurate

9mm 115gr Plated RN Rainier WST 4.7gr CCI small pistol 1.147 Feels almost like a factory load

Most of the pistol shooter migrate to a Dillon progressive reloader for the high output and quality.

The low end of that is a Dillon Square Deal B (pistol only, proprietary dies). It will crank out a nice 300-400 rounds in a sitting.

Many like the Dillon 550 for it value. It's progressive, but you index it by hand.

The Dillon 650 gets you back into auto-indexing and the case feeder option kicks things into high gear. I've run mine at an easy 800 rounds in 45 minutes (having had 8 primers tubes).

Then there is the monster 1050...add in an after-market bullet feeder and approach 2000 an hour (if you can feed it materials fast enough).

In a pinch, I could see loading 200 rounds on a good old Rock Chucker. I've even known a guy to load his play ammo on one of those hand-held units from Lee.

The Winchester 100 round val-u-paks at Wal-mart used to be the best deal around. They probably still are (just more than we were paying a year or two ago), but shop the local sporting goods stores for specials.

Yeah, and you can find them HERE!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Here's the one I'm currently using in my XD-9 Tactical:

125 gr. Zero JHP (or 124 Montana Gold)

3.7 gr. Clays

1.135 OAL

0.376 Crimp

128 PF

I've also used:

147 gr. Zero JHP

4.3 gr. IMR 4756

1.135 OAL

0.376 Crimp

130 PF

The 147 gr. JHP gives more of a "push" similar to what you get from a .45 due to the larger bullet size. The 124/125 seems to offer a better balance between a slow push and a snappier recoil. It is defintiely a personal preference thing. The advantage for me with the 124/125 JHP is that I can load the same bullet for both 9mm and .38 Super.

124 gr FMJ Montana Gold or Precision Delta (getting 124 grain PD's can be spotty, some production machine issues in the past year)

4.4 gr Solo 1000

1.130" OAL

.375 crimp

on a Dillon 550B

PF ~128 out of an XD9 Tactical 5"

In response to a query on another thread, I found that using case lube made both the OAL and the chrono'd velocity very, very consistent, minimal variation over nearly 1K rounds loaded, more consistent than when I was working up the load and not using case lube (OK, I'm new, this is 'learning curve' stuff).

YMMV, good luck!

Is anyone shooting the 147 grain loaded with VihtaVuori powder?

Was curious what your fps and pf were. I'm about to reload some for mine (Glock 17) on recommendation of Action Shooting Supply.

Is anyone shooting the 147 grain loaded with VihtaVuori powder?

Was curious what your fps and pf were. I'm about to reload some for mine (Glock 17) on recommendation of Action Shooting Supply.

I like 3.4 grains of VV N320 under a Zero 147 grain JHP. I load it out to 1.142.

I make about 132 PF out of a Glock 34. Feels pretty soft.

Jerry Snyder

I have been busy for a while to get the (imho) perfect 9mm load for my CZ75-SP01.

I use:

Brass: once fired Magtech (from range)

Primer: Federal 100 (SP)

Powder: VV N330, 4,5 grain

Head: Frontier 124 grain Copper Plated Cast RN

COL: 28,2 mm

Press: Dillon SD

PF: 132

Most important is the use of N330. Many 9mm reloaders stick to 320, but they are wrong. The kick from 320 is completely different than that from 330. I can shoot splits on 7m double taps < 0.20 sec with no more than 5 cm apart. Believe me, I've turned some head's on that.

Buy some 330 and give it a try. I'am looking forward for post on the result.