Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting 9mm bullets in their .38 Revo?

Cuz

In the interest of reducing the types of bullets I need to keep on hand for shooting I've been told I can use my current 9mm bullets in my .38 special revolver loads.

I currently use Berry's 124gr RN-DS bullets that are .356 according to their website. The 125gr RN .38/.357 bullets are .357 according to their website. That's pretty darn close. I use the .38 specials in my revolver (S&W 686) for shooting steel plate matches. Pretty much all shooting is at 30 to 50 ft max distance. Minor power factors work fine on the steel so there should be no problem getting velocity out of the 6 inch revo barrel. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks? Is anyone else currently doing this?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I'm not a fan of shooting undersized bullets in my .38s. Especially Berry's. Last time I ordered .357s most miked .354 to .355. I only had 300 of 1000 mike to .357. If you are going to use one bullet for all your shooting you will be better off to find the one that shoots best and stay with it.

I've used the 130 gr .356 RN type for 38 supers in 38 special cases. It works but certain brand cases (grab) the bullet tighter than others. I gave up on that idea a use .357 ,158 RN from Berrys. You got to make sure the bullet dos'nt move under recoil if your going to use the smaller diameter bullet.

In the interest of reducing the types of bullets I need to keep on hand for shooting I've been told I can use my current 9mm bullets in my .38 special revolver loads.

I currently use Berry's 124gr RN-DS bullets that are .356 according to their website. The 125gr RN .38/.357 bullets are .357 according to their website. That's pretty darn close. I use the .38 specials in my revolver (S&W 686) for shooting steel plate matches. Pretty much all shooting is at 30 to 50 ft max distance. Minor power factors work fine on the steel so there should be no problem getting velocity out of the 6 inch revo barrel. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks? Is anyone else currently doing this?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

All I can say Cuz is load them up and try them. I have one 686 that I shot 380 95 grain bullets in and they work ok. I would play with the crimp a little. As strange as it seems, if you crimp to much with a taper crimp on a plated or jacketed bullet it will get loose in the case. Flare the case ever so slightly just enough to start the bullet and then crimp enough for it to not to interfere with the reloads. At the distances you are shooting with the 38 special accuracy is easily achievable. But that is just me.. ymmv. later rdd

The SAAMI spec for .38 special barrels is .355. However sizing dies may not resize the case tight enough for .355 bullets in some situations. Especially a problem with slow burning powders. Also look out for bullet moving forward in case in subsequent shots, i.e. OAL increasing for unfired rounds while firing.

My guess is that if you do not over flare the case, and crimp as much as possible without distorting the bullet, then at the distances that you prescribe (30-50 feet) they should be OK with fast burning powders. I have tried shooting a variety of 9mm bullets in .38 spl, but was never able to find any load that would shoot to my satisfaction (2" +/- @50yds) yet I had several loads that I could do that with .357 bullets.

My opinion was that this was due to the cylinder chamber dimension just forward of the bullet permitting the bullet to be too sloppy after it left the cartridge case, but not yet contact the rifling for a tight seal, but this is opinion only. I had thought about getting someone to sleeve the cylinder charge holes to tighten up the tolerance. I would be interested to know what the diameter of the cylinder charge holes are on the barrel side of the S&W revo cylinders in .38 Super vs. the same gun chambered in .357 mag.

MJ :cheers:

Edited by Allgoodhits

Martin,

I was thinking exactly the same thing over those S&W 7 or 8 shot 38Super. I had intentions of buying the one Jay DB had for sale and doing a direct comparison. But time and money got away. I suspect it all comes down to rifling v chamber mouth dimensions. you know the usual stuff.

Some guys down here used to use a 9mm expander on their 38cases and shoot .356" bullets with minimal crimp for real pansy loads. They all slowly came back to lightweight HBWC as they got the same recoil for more accuracy.

Regarding throat diameter question of a 38 S&W Super throat.

I just recently had S&W put a new cylinder in my 686 38 super because the throat diameter was really excessive on one of the holes. I could drop a .358 wad cutter straight thru it. It resulted in a 50 fps difference in velocity and a regular keyhole (one per match that I am certain of).

The new cylinder's throat holes are roughly .356-.3565 and it shoots like a dream as compared to the old cylinder.

Keep in mind I am shooting a .355 barrel. If I was shooting one of the new .357 diameter barrels I might want the throads opened up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two 686 Smiths with custom Shilen barrels marked 38 Spl and they will shoot to Martin's 2.0" or less at 50 yards with a power factor of around 130 using Zero 125 JHP that mike .356. It is cataloged as a 38 Super bullet. I use these in my 38 Super 1911's with the same results.

I have a third 686 with a custom barrel, a Bob Jones gun (if you don't know Bob you haven't shot PPC lately) and it dosen't care for that bullet. It shoots other 38 Spl bullets however extremely well.

Hand guns are like women, they may look similar but they are all different.

Hand guns are like women, they may look similar but they are all different.

Ha, ain't that a classic. I couldn't agree more. For now at least I've decided to pass on the 9mm bullets in my Revo and buy a few thousand 158gr RN to get me thru the summer. I'm still holding out for a S&W 627 chambered in 9mm so I can forget about my 38 spcl brass and just load one caliber.

-Cuz.

I have used the Rainer 130 gr. 0.356" bullet in 38 Special cases. Accuracy appear to be on a par with the Rainier 125 gr. 0.357" bullet. In order to get a tight fit I use the 9mm expaning die on my Dillon 550.

Cuz,

I used Berry's 147 gr 9mm bullets in my IDPA SSR loads most of last year, ~ 10K rd. They worked great in some guns (67-6, 66-5, 19-5) and not so well in others (19-3, 10-8, 13-2).

The load I used was Berrys 147 gr RN, 4.7 gr Titegroup, Fed SP primers, 1.510" ctg oal, a 9mm expander die/powder funnel & and an aggressive Dillon crimp. That load ran at 900 fps out of 4" gun. In the guns they shot well in, zeroing IDPA targets freestyle out to 25 yd was not a problem.

They facilitated reloads but required more powder and - more problematically - a very specific crimp to avoid walkout/tumbling. As you would expect, felt recoil was somewhat sharper and the rd was definitely flashier than the 158 gr loading. The gun also ran hotter.

In the end I reverted to my standard 158 gr RN loading.

I put using them in the "Why bother?" category.

Craig

Edited by Bones

I loaded a couple .355 Raniers to try inmy 627. Checked the rounds remaining in the cylinder after firing 5 of the 8 and the bullets were working their way out of the cases. Am thinking about using 38super resizing die amd expander and trying again. The .357 160gr GAT lrn bullets are working well for me so might just leave it alone.

In the end I reverted to my standard 158 gr RN loading.

I put using them in the "Why bother?" category.

Craig

Lucky me! I came to the same conclusion without having to actually load and fire any rounds. That's why I like the BE Forum.

-Cuz.

• 1 year later...

Well it's been over a year now since this has been kicked around and I'm needing to buy more bullets for my 38 so I figured I revive this topic to see if there is any new info from anyone.

Thanks,

Cuz.

One of my molds is a Lyman #356402. It is a 121 gr truncated cone style designed for the 9mm.

When I cast up a bunch, I will size them at .357. Since the nominal size is 356, the sizer die doesn't really size them, it just more or less lubes them.

I keep a supply on hand to use in the 9mm or 38 special as needed.

I use a 160 gr rnl bullet for my main ICORE/USPSA revolver loads. But, I use the 121 gr TC bullet in 38 special for a local steel shoot, and for the kids when they shoot centerfire pistol.

Using 4.0 gr Bullseye under the 121 gr bullet in 38 special, it is a very soft shooting and economical load.

When I load up a supply, I only change the seating die in the 38 spl setup. I use the same crimp as I use on the 160 gr rnl.

A few years ago I bought a couple thousand .356" LRN for my nice new 627 8x.38 Super. To my amazement they would hit sideways at 5 yards. Obviously, S&W does not care about proper cylinder throat and bore relationships in their .38 Super revolvers. Out of desperation I tried these bullets in my older Model 66 and they generally shot well but there were enough fliers and tipping bullets that I wouldn't want to use them in any kind of match.

I never bothered with plated .355" or .356" bullets in the .38 Special.

I recently bought a very nice 940 and this is the only S&W revolver I have owned that will shoot cast .356" bullets properly. Not a good gun for match use, though.

Dave Sinko