Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue Universal Powerspeed Holster?

jmleenz

Anyone have any experience with this holster for competition use? Have read some good and bad reviews. Looks pretty fast and is univeral. only $100. I'm looking for somthing than can possibly accomodate my XD as well as my EAA Gold Team for competition. Any ideas or thoughts?

http://www.borelliconsulting.com/recevals/...uepsholster.htm

Edited by jmleenz

I have some limited experience with one that I set up for a Glock. It works just fine for what it is. It has a positive retention lock for when not shooting. The magnets hold the gun securely when the lock is not applied.

I don't believe it will work with most scope mounts. You will have to either modify the holster, or use a slide-mounted dot for an open gun.

Check a little more before you buy one. A local guy bought one for an XD Tactical and got rid of it because the cut outs on the XDs slide were in a way that the magnets wouldn't work. The magnets can be moved, but I don't know if he tried to move them or just sold it. I'm happy with mine for Glocks.

I know Flexmoney has one. If I remember right on a turn and draw if you turn too quickly the gun will actually fly out of the holster because the magnets aren't strong enough. I think this actually happened to Flexmoney. You might want to ask him.

Flyin

I have two. One is on a single-stack rig, the other is on my wide-body rig. Both use the CR Speed belt system. The STI Eagle 6.0 for open has a Docter Sight that Grams lowered into the slide, so the typical C-More mount issue isn't there. There is a full lock, half lock and magnet only position, operated by the thumb as you get your grip. Use the full lock for walking around. I learned the hard way to use at least half-lock if there is any significant movement before the draw - dropped gun DQ on first stage @ Area 2 several years ago - never fired a shot. Holster wear on the gun is a non-event since I had the Ion Bond finish done about a year ago.

I know Flexmoney has one. If I remember right on a turn and draw if you turn too quickly the gun will actually fly out of the holster because the magnets aren't strong enough. I think this actually happened to Flexmoney. You might want to ask him.

If it does that then you don't have it adjusted right. I used one for years with an Open Glock without ANY problems. In fact I had mine adjusted so perfectly I actually used a Dremel and took the Magnet Rail away (forever). Mine had just enough tension on the trigger-guard that it was like it was being held by the magnets (but it wasn't) it was just pinched in there. Used it for 2 years without ever doing any damage to the gun or even coming close to DQ'ing.

And I know for a fact that if you try to remove the gun from the holster without un-locking it you WILL break the holster. I actually did it once when climbing into my car with the gun / holster still on. Steering wheel caught it just right and bam, it was broken. But it took alot of force before it actually broke.

The reason I bought mine was I found it on close-out at a local gun-store for $66. Where else can you buy a $66 race holster ? But if you're already thinking of spending $100 ....... get a serious race-holster. A race holster should be designed for a particular gun, not universally adaptable. Pay another $50 and get a superior holster. Ghost or CR Speed would be my choice. Or practice enough and a Kydex holster is not necessarily any slower than any of the popular race-holsters. And is much safer for "weird position" starts (lying on a bed, turn-n-draw, chair starts, etc.)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I used one for awhile, on a limited & open Glock, It was ok. Your gun will not fall out,but I found out that it is not

as fast as a CR-Speed.

I'd disagree with both of those points. You must have been drawing yours from the locked position?

I used one for awhile, on a limited & open Glock, It was ok. Your gun will not fall out,but I found out that it is not

as fast as a CR-Speed.

I'd disagree with both of those points. You must have been drawing yours from the locked position?

Now that is Merlin quality humor :lol::lol:

PS I agree draw speed is not a function of equipment but practice and skills

Edited by BSeevers

Flyin

Well...I might as well chime in with the info. :) (do a search, and you wil find plenty of old threads on this subject)

I made Grand Master in Limited with the holster...and never DQ'ed.

Even unlocked, it has never "flown" out of the holster. You can set up certain situations where it is possible for it to tilt and roll out a bit. What Flyin40 is talking about is me relating to him about it letting the gun move on me in a turn and draw. But, this has only happened in dry-fire...and it required me going at mach-10 to do so (think, whipping around for a .9 turn and draw). And, I got my holster used. It had been cut away by an open shooter, so I didn't have as many options on spreading the magnets out. Mine are all down low...which likely allows for more of a pivot point for the gun to tilt on.

Keen is right, more pinch on the sides of the trigger guard can take many of these concerns away. I never ran my as tight as he reports.

I got away from the scoop draw (thankfully). Scooping would tend to exaggerate the tilting concern. I come in from the side (think leather slap) instead...which I feel is a better way to draw anyway.

I am sure there are times (like running before drawing) that I started with the holster in one of the locked positions, I just can't think of any right now. I almost always started with the gun in the unlocked mode. As such, I was always conscious not to be whipping my hips around and make jerky movements (which, is usually more efficient anyways).

The gun I used was a Glock 35. It had a nice slab side for the magnets, and the gun is light (though, I upped the weight with 20 rounds of 40 caliber). I don't know that I would use it for a heavy 1911, but I know those that do, and seem good with that.

My kydex and plastic holsters mar the finish of the gun more than my powerspeed ever did. As Keen said, the magnets don't touch the metal. Not on mine, at least.

I don't really suggest the holster for USPSA. In USPSA, we draw the gun very little, really. Most folks are just as well off with a nice secure holster. For Steel Challenge (5 draws per stage, zero movement on the draw), the powerspeed would be my first choice out of any...as long as the gun works well with it.

as fast as a CR-Speed.

opps..I didn't mean that like it seems to have sounded.

thank for all the info guys...seems to be one of those love it or hate it affairs. In reality when you search around the internet there are hate posts and these same "gun fell, I DQ'd" posts for the ghost and the CR as well so I guess no race holster is perfect.

as fast as a CR-Speed.

opps..I didn't mean that like it seems to have sounded.

Well I'm not A GM nor have I played one on TV but I did dream of being one a couple of times if that counts :unsure:

I was just expressing my results & what I meant was your gun will not fall out when in the lock

position.

Edited by TruStreet

As far as the gun "popping out," I won't name the brand because it doesnt matter- just one of the compact holsters with no muzzle support: A shooter forgot to lock the holster, and the muzzle shightly got bumped and was just enough to dislodge the gun from the holster. This goes true for shooter error, if you choose to use this type of holster, you must be aware and take the precautions to avoid this from happening. I havent seen any race holster from whatever manufacturer that wasn't a good one, or had its good points/or features. I had always been curious of the Houge, but never got to look at one.

Hello - I have one of these (use with EAA Witness Elite Match) and the only input that I have to offer is that if you set this holster up CORRECTLY for your weapon system - you will love it. If you don't take the time to adjust and set up correctly - you will hate it and have retention problems and\or draw problems.

The package comes with a TON of spacers, washers and other various adjustments for height and cant. I highly recommend the use of the included muzzle hood which is another optional component. Most importantly - follow the included instructions and you'll be all set. These holsters do work a tad better with weapon systems with a squared trigger guard (STI, SVI, Glock, USP, Tanfoglio) - if you have a rounded one you pretty much are forced to use the muzzle hood because the gun can rotate in the holster with some minimal force. Again - use the muzzle hood to be safe and practice your draw with it.

You can get them on the web from $78 - $100 (just use google). I got mine from Midway for $92 I think because I had some gift certificates there....

I think these holsters are a great value if you just spend 15 - 30 minutes to set it up correctly for your weapon system.