Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue Universal Powerspeed Holster?

jmleenz

I don't know of ANY gun that has ever fallen out of ANY race holster while it was LOCKED. :ph34r:

Mine can - not that it has in a match. I keep my Safariland 011 cranked as tight as the retention knob will go. It has a nice, smooth draw - but I use a sissy-strap when I'm not shooting. I've tried other Safariland holsters and they don't seem to have this issue. I'd asked a while back and it seem like it was an individual holster thing. Some worked better than others. But since that's an old backup holster I don't worry too much about it.

I picked up the Hogue holster off of a prize table a few years ago. I'd thought about selling it, but then decided to try it out first. I set it up for a Glock and that's the way it stayed. I can see how a heavy gun might come out on a quick turn 'n draw if the magnets were set up in the wrong location. But it's not really an issue on a lightweight gun like a Glock.

For the record, I have a CR Speed holster for my "serious" holster. I kept the Hogue so I would have something if I got a wild hair and wanted to shoot my Glock.

Just say NO! and get a Ghost! I have had all the rest (except Ribas) and I am at peace with my holster.

Having said that, if you are shooting just Production, Limited 10, or Limited then get a DOH.

I ran one for while in limited and limited 10, It worked great and I never worried about it falling out. But it did leave wear marks on my S&W 1911 on the side of the slide. All of that pretty laser etching is gone on mine. Now I run an Arredondo for limited and have ordered DOH for both limited and production.

Anyone have any experience with this holster for competition use? Have read some good and bad reviews. Looks pretty fast and is univeral. only $100. I'm looking for somthing than can possibly accomodate my XD as well as my EAA Gold Team for competition. Any ideas or thoughts?

The holster is great for Glocks but poor for any other guns.

Well I got one on the way so I'm gonna give it a shot. From all the feedback here ot sounds like if you set up the rig PROPERLY (magnets, trigger spacers, etc) you have a great holster at a great price...that you can use on multiple guns! I like the way that sounds, I'll report back once I have it and have had a chance to set it up. and use it

I got one from a friend [everyone's favorite price - free] and it worked great with both Open & Limited Glocks. I kept it locked for everything except Load & Make Ready, where I left it off lock.

Didn't seem to retain my STI nearly as well. Something about the shape of the slide - less flat, less metal than Glock. And the STI is much heavier.

Then I found out it was possible to bang the STI's magazine release on the way out of the holster. Because it happened on a classifier, in a match. Beeeep. One shot.

If I remember right, the gun can tilt: grip closer to your body, muzzle further from your body. Then the mag falls out. Bought a CR Speed, think it's the best holster for Open 1911/S_I.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one and got a DQ when I used it with just the magnets. It's not like I am that fast off the draw anyways.

I now use a DOH and Ghost and Safariland 012.

I have the Hogue collecting dust......$50 if anyone wants it.

Randy

:rolleyes: I suppose we will have to agree to dis-agree on this one. I like the holster, but since it's a universal holster (one size definately does NOT fit all when it comes to gun holsters) it depends alot on the gun it is fit too, as well as how it is setup. Edited by CHRIS KEEN

• 4 weeks later...

I think I put a post on here some time ago in the "Match Screw-Ups" thread about DQing with my first Hogue because I didn't set it up right (actually put a round into the ground about a foot from my foot). Once I did get it set up correctly and modified so it would attach to my Safariland 010 holster mount it worked fine. I did a lot of modification to it for the Para Open gun I was using at the time which is one of the pros about it. It's cheap enough that you can carve away what you need to without worrying about how much of your $200.00 holster is ending up on the shop floor.

Even with the magnets recessed there will be some holster wear because the magnets ensure that the slide will drag across the polymer. Any dirt/grit/unburnt powder flakes will scratch, especially a blue finish.

I found it easier to draw from the full locked position as the lock would be positioned higher and easier to hit with your thumb on the draw.

Slick tip: Grease the lock sliding cam and lock but be careful to not get any on the part that protrudes into the trigger guard.

If you're really worried about gun security, use the snap in muzzle cover instead of the magnets.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got one that I have set up for a Glock. For that gun, I think it's a great holster. Not sure how well it would work with some other, heavier guns. Especially an Open gun with a scope mount protruding out the left side of the gun.

For a lightweight gun like a Glock, which has a flat, smooth side surface, it seems to work just fine.

But I typically shoot an STI, and it lives in a CR holster.