Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate the company that makes large yellow earthmoving equipment

KentG

Well I was glad to be able to quit a really shitty job but seems this company is worse than a jilted prom date. Went in Mon and handed in a polite letter informing of my intent to leave and willing to work the rest of the week to help out.

Was PROMPTLY thrown out,,, had to go back yesterday to collect my tools and turn in laptop and such. I was informed that I probably wont be paid for the rest of the week. WTF :angry2:

I had heard this was a "quality" company to work for and they sure showed it.

These is the kind of company that only does what the bare minimum requires to hire and they wonder why the turnover is increasing. Karma is bitch. Im trying to talk some of the other guys there to jump ship with me.

Lesson to all,,,, if your leaving a shitty company dont do them any favors cause they wont do you any.

Thank god there is Volvo Construction Equipment in Sweden then. Buy Volvo, buy swedish steel, buy... wait a minute I think GM owns Volvo... hmmm

Well, I like Volvo anyway :D

Death to the other yellow construction machine company!!

Sometimes it's the little things. I will likely buy a new tractor in a year or two and was considering the sister company of big Yellow, however after you're post when I do it'll probably be green!

In situations like this anything like what you said is a plus. I dont think companies realize word of mouth can cost sales. Maybe not a lot but enough to make us feel better. I used some of the time to use my VibraPrime today and load ammo.

Man thats rough, I had the other extreme I gave 2 month notice at a previous employer. This was a HUGE mistake I ended up with

all the grunt jobs and swing shifts for the entire time. Wow I will never do that again. :angry2:

Never give them more than they would give you if they were letting you go. Your efforts will NOT be appreciated.

Edit to add: Isn't it funny how most employers require that you give them 2 weeks notice, but when they terminate an employee, they never bother to give 2 weeks notice ???????? <_<

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Some companies insist the employee vacate the premises the instant a resignation is turned in since they no longer have job termination leverage over the individual. They may not trust everyone to act professionally when their behavior is no longer secured by this threat, and they are at legal risk if they do not treat everyone the same - just imaging telling a minority they had to leave immediately and allowing a non-minority to work their notice period.

Not all companies lack class though - I have heard of some of the companies with such a "leave immediately" policy paying people for a reasonable notice period.

Some companies insist the employee vacate the premises the instant a resignation is turned in since they no longer have job termination leverage over the individual. They may not trust everyone to act professionally when their behavior is no longer secured by this threat, and they are at legal risk if they do not treat everyone the same - just imaging telling a minority they had to leave immediately and allowing a non-minority to work their notice period.

Not all companies lack class though - I have heard of some of the companies with such a "leave immediately" policy paying people for a reasonable notice period.

I was suspicious and could have actually told them last thursday but I had a feeling.

I tried to be upbeat that they would have some honor and pay out the week. 4 more days pay isnt squat for a fortune 500 company but some of the minions get a nut off being assholes.

Two ways to go about it. We had one guy that had like 2 weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick pay accumilated.

Hard working guy that would never pull any funny stuff but all of a sudden he takes a week vacation, followed

by a week with a cold, followed by 2 weeks for a mental breakdown. Meanwhle he is arranging everything. Then when he

gets back it was, I'm quiting today, I sold my house, and bought a new house in another state Ha, Ha, Ha,. Ha gets all his

money and runs, this is the way to do it!!

Then there was a guy who did everything right, put in his two week, never took sick days or cared about how many he had.

He quites and wants just his prorated accumilated vacation pay upto that point. He's told this will take some time and they will

mail it to him. After he moves to another state they tell him " we dont think we own you anything else"!

He gets nothing!! Its against labor laws but he didnt even want to deal with it....

My daughter got laid off from a really crappy company on Monday. They handed her some paperwork that needed to be filled out for Cobra. In shock, she set the papers down on her desk and was immediately told she had to leave the building. They wouldn't even let her pick up the papers from the top of the desk. They will be inventoried, boxed and delivered to her (at her expense).

Now two days later she is happy to be free of those ********. So far, three calls from the company asking how she did certain aspects of her job. She's nicer than her father. To first two callers she was polite and answered their questions. The third caller had an attitude big time. My daughter let her rant for a few minutes and then replied "I don't have time for this." and hung up.

Bill

We had one guy that had like 2 weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick pay accumilated.

Hard working guy that would never pull any funny stuff but all of a sudden he takes a week vacation, followed

by a week with a cold, followed by 2 weeks for a mental breakdown. Meanwhle he is arranging everything. Then when he

gets back it was, I'm quiting today, I sold my house, and bought a new house in another state Ha, Ha, Ha,. Ha gets all his

money and runs, this is the way to do it!!

I always wanted to leave my resignation on the end of the boss's nose.

Bill

I gave my 2 week notice at an aerospace engineering company in Huntsville, AL, then gave the guy my notice about jury duty the following week. Guy sh*t a brick because I was involved in a major project. He called the judge and tried to get me out of the jury duty, judge told him to pound sand. I spent a week on jury duty, worked my last week and then got my vacation pay.

I did give a month's notice one time, that was a mistake, I was so damn bored for the last month and I couldn't start any new projects.

I also got the same treatment as the OP on one job, I took a 20K raise and a 25K bonus to move to Orlando back in 95. I gave the company I worked for the option of paying me just 10K more than I was making at the time. They showed my brother and I both to the door the same day. Of course they ended up coming back within 3 months and paying us a butt load of contract money to fix all the stuff they no longer had the ability to do :rolleyes: . Very sweet feeling going back to the same asshats that didn't need me and having them beg me to bail their asses out. Still makes me get a sh*t eating grin almost 10 years later.

And I work for that company again now, here in Orlando in a remote office making about twice what I made in 1995.

David

I worked for that big yellow company for a while. Talk about being treated like a number....

Their main response for any employee issues was "we'll shut the plant down and move to Mexico if you don't shut up".

Quitting that place was like being released from prison.