Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disposing Of Loaded Ammo

If you can get an RCBS collet bullet puller, you can recover the brass and the primer at the very least, maybe even the bullet or if you don't wish to go that route.

Contact your local Sherrif's office, State patrol Barrack's or Police department and they will have no problem telling you who to contact. They might even tell you to bring it into them for disposal.

Fire department is another option.

Hope this helps.

What's so bad about this ammo that you don't want to shoot it? I can see not firing ammo found at the range, as you might be picking up someones discards. But this is all loaded by the previous owner for his own use. What is it, and why not run it through a bolt gun for practice? Especially if he labeled each box with the load specs?

putting the ammo in water is only a tempory soultion, when the primers dry out, their active again.

But the powder ain't! Years ago I had a friend reload some stuff with cases I had washed, and were MOSTLY dry, but I guess not totally.....no bang!

Actually, I didn't think that one up, I got it from a gun writer, Charles Petty I think.....and they're always right, right? :unsure:

BrianH,

I suspect Lynn is quite right on this subject.

I had this experience only once, but it was kind of weird anyway.

I left a loaded round of mine in a leg pocket of my shooting shorts after training (this is the round I usually keep spare to fill up a magazine).

My wife didn't notice it, and put the shorts into the washing machine for a full cycle (1h30mins).

After having them dryed, the round fell out.

Next weekend I tried it in my handgun and...surprise...it ignited at first strike.

Maybe I have just invented underwater ammunition? :P

Sorry for thread drift, Jeeper (I wish I had the same luck as your bargain ;) ).

What is the problem with the ammo? I understand there might be a slight risk using someone else’s reloads. If you do not want it I would be happy to acquire it.

Jarrod

Some of the ammo is for guns I just dont have and I dont really feel like storing it. I was planning on pulling all the rifle stuff (300 win, 7 mag, 7.62x54, 308) and keeping or selling the brass. The 223 I might shoot to get the brass since the stuff is labeled. TH 7.62x39 I will shoot through my sks because- who cares about that gun. The pistol stuff - 38 super, 357 sig, 9mm, 40, 45 makes me a little hesitant to shoot. Some is labeled but most isnt. I dont feel like pulling bullets to get pistol brass since it is so cheap to buy once fired from brassman.

Jeeper,

Put it up on the classifieds, buyer pays freight. Problem solved.

Travis F.

In Texas ANY sale of an item that is defective can be brought against the seller. So in other words it is not really worth a few bucks.

"In Texas ANY sale of an item that is defective can be brought against the seller. So in other words it is not really worth a few bucks."

Its a wonder anything used gets sold. does that cover trades and gifts, too? As for the fire, brass that's been through a fire is useless except for its scrap value by weight.

Jeeper,

I'm no atty. but wouldn't a disclaimer cover you?

>>>>>ITEMS SOLD AS SCRAP<<<<<<<

FOR DISSASSEMBLY AND SALVAGING COMPONENTS ONLY!

NOT FOR USE!!!

Seller assumes no responsibility or liability

for ammunition manufactured with these components.

Travis F.

Actually I used to get rid of unwanted ammo by throwing it in the burn barrel (ah, rural Montana living, how I miss it). It’s not dangerous, the primer cooks off with a muffled pop pushing the bullet out of the way and then the powder burns with a PFFFFFFTTT and it’s done.

Patrick is right about the brass being scrap. Scrap brass prices are WAY down now. My club has two curbside garbage cans FULL of the stuff and it isn’t worth the trouble to haul it in.

Ed

Jeeper,

I'm no atty. but wouldn't a disclaimer cover you?

>>>>>ITEMS SOLD AS SCRAP<<<<<<<

FOR DISSASSEMBLY AND SALVAGING COMPONENTS ONLY!

NOT FOR USE!!!

Seller assumes no responsibility or liability

for ammunition manufactured with these components.

Travis F.

It probably would but Texas has what it call the DTPA(deceptive trade practices act). Any mispresesentation makes the seller liable and some stuff cant be waived. Law School has just made me really paranoid about getting sued.

I might sell it

Do you have to pay hazmat on shipping loaded ammo?

My vote would be for the controlled burn. Whatever you get for it isn't worth the liability - no matter what the contract says. They might not win, but they can still sue. One bad round and you're going to be one miserable puppy.

Dig a deep pit for the fire and shovel the ammo in there gradually and you ought to be fine. I went through the pain of the meritless lawsuit when my Dad got put on trial as the whipping boy for an insurance fraud case. It gives new meaning to hell on earth. We nearly lost everything.

My 2 pesos...

OK, now I am depressed. I just went through all the ammo. I had probably two small ammo cans full of super. ANother full small can of 357 sig. I hate to chuck all this ammo but it isnt worth blowing up a gun. ABout 1000 223. A couple hundred 308 match, 300 win with partitions and balistic tips.

Those I will pull and keep. Oh well

true about liability insanity in TX. But here you would also not argue on an internet forum about disposing of ammo, you'd put it in regular household garbage and not waste another thought....

--Detlef

SO I call the police department about getting rid of the ammo. I talk to the guy who does it and he told me that they basically will shoot it up and toss what they cant shoot. :wacko:

Selling, or giving someone else ammo that you would not shoot is nothing more than reckless endangerment

of another. The seller should be held responsible for any damages to person or property. He should also

be ashamed of himself for conducting such a transaction, whether any harm comes to the buyer, or not.