Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start position: lying on a bed ....

Stefano

I lay on my back, as close to the edge as possible. On the buzzer, I roll my body off the bed get my feet on the ground and take off running. There's no sitting up action, just get your feet to the dirt as soon as possible.

Yeah, it's my same goal (and technique) but .... how you push yourself (rolling) off the bed ?

I mean the movement of your legs and your arms ....

I ask myself if there's an efficient way to save time.

We had a "bed" start a couple of years ago at a state match. I sprang to my feet, almost puked, stumbled around and finally got going. I have always had problems with standing up fast so I mentioned the ordeal to my family physician during a subsequent visit and he tested me for dramatic changes in blood pressure when I stand. Sure enough, if I get up too fast my blood pressure drops like a rock. As far as I am concerned, laying down starts should be abolished. So here's my plan, when the timer goes off I'll get to a seated position, stand up slowly, stumble around like a drunken sailor, then bitch about getting old...

Now if you want something helpful, the fastest start I witnessed was Dave Sevigny. No sitting up action to speak of at all. He rolled off the "bed" and hit the ground running in about third gear grabbing for the hand grenade props. That guy can move.

I get close to the edge of the bed, but instead of just trying to get moving by putting my feet on the ground and fighting against gravity, I hook my leg or foot on the edge of the table and propel myself forward with my arms and legs.

This is by far the fastest method I've ever tried....and I've tried quite a few.

Here was a the bed start stage at the double tap last year. Your legs and arms had to be on the bed, the RO would not let you hang a foot or elbow over the edge for leverage. My time was 6th fastest but a mike bumped me down to 12th out of 81. I find it easier to try to roll off the bed instead of sit up, but then agian I have "ballast" I can relocate.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s93/for...E3MARCH2007.flv

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck

getting mass moving...shifting weight...

Depends on the position.

I like to get my inside leg (arm) to the outside. Then, at the beep...swing them over. It gets the mass moving in the proper direction. Kind of like snapping the head around on a turn and draw.

getting mass moving...shifting weight...

Depends on the position.

I like to get my inside leg (arm) to the outside. Then, at the beep...swing them over. It gets the mass moving in the proper direction. Kind of like snapping the head around on a turn and draw.

Yes, totally agree ...

But ALL the times I've had to start from a bed I was obliged to take my legs/arms not as I wanted to have ... :rolleyes:

Usually legs parallel, flat on the bed, and so my arms ...

propel myself forward with my arms and legs.

This is by far the fastest method I've ever tried....and I've tried quite a few.

I get the picture in my head of a rocket, which sound about right for Jake :)

I had a REALLY good shooter tell me this about props, "Do what is natural for you. You don't think about how you open a door or take a piss in the middle of the night, you just do it. trust your body."

I've seen people pop out of bed (defying the laws of gravity), roll out, set up, and fall out and the bed, all to different degrees of success. The most important thing for me, is that I don't loose my ear protection getting out of the bed and I don't spend too much effort/energy doing so. I don't want to get all worked up before I grab my gun, I want to be in a good state of mind to start shooting.

On a side note. Often a start like this will eat up some time. That means the hit factor will be lower...making the points even more important.

On top of this, when you have some time doing "other stuff" between when the beep does off and when you actually start shooting, you get a feeling of urgency. This can make the shooter hurry and try. Speed seems more important than normal, when the opposite is true. Since the hit factor is reduced, points are more important.

I just wanted to point out that pit fall. Ideally, none of that should enter into the thinking. The shooter should take each shoot in the moment.

This can make the shooter hurry and try. Speed seems more important than normal, when the opposite is true. Since the hit factor is reduced, points are more important.

I just wanted to point out that pit fall. Ideally, none of that should enter into the thinking. The shooter should take each shoot in the moment.

100% correct IMO.

On a side note. Often a start like this will eat up some time. That means the hit factor will be lower...making the points even more important.

On top of this, when you have some time doing "other stuff" between when the beep does off and when you actually start shooting, you get a feeling of urgency. This can make the shooter hurry and try. Speed seems more important than normal, when the opposite is true. Since the hit factor is reduced, points are more important.

Thanks Flex,

this is one of the best tips I've ever received ! ;)

By the way: I shoot in Production, and in my division this is much more important ....

Thanks Flex,

this is one of the best tips I've ever received ! ;)

By the way: I shoot in Production, and in my division this is much more important ....

Good advice for sure and so true... guilty.

While I have your attention...

Those "in your face" arrays of targets...the ones that just beg you to turn on the after-burners and dig out your very best splits and transitions... Why is it more important to get Alphas on those targets than it is to speed through them? And, why would you not take more (relative) care on, say...a 25y head shot ?

(and don't answer here...see if you can find the thread where we have talked about this before)

While I have your attention...

Those "in your face" arrays of targets...the ones that just beg you to turn on the after-burners and dig out your very best splits and transitions... Why is it more important to get Alphas on those targets than it is to speed through them?

Want to guess which array I threw a "mike" on?

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s93/for...E3MARCH2007.flv

Edited by DrawandDuck