Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid me :-(

pevadijk

Don't ask me how I did it, but I managed to get a bullet stuck in the top of my SDB.

It doesn't interfere with it's normal functioning and I guess that I might damage the aluminum if I try to pry it out, what do you guys think of it?

Edited by pevadijk

Don't ask me how I did it, but I managed to get a bullet stuck in the top of my SDB.

It doesn't interfere with it's normal functioning and I guess that I might damage the aluminum if I try to pry it out, what doe you guys think of it?

Looks to me like it already cracked it in two places. At this point you might be better off just leaving it where it is....

I guess there is one small crack :-(

But, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that it will ruin it's functioning?

And since there's not much room or holding area to grap it with some pliers, trying to pry it out will only damage my press and it looks like the 'roof' is closed so knocking it out from the top, won't work either.

Damn, I'm stupid!!!

Edited by pevadijk

Sorry to hear about your misfortune :(

Might want to drill a hole in the bullet and install a screw that you can pull on to remove the bullet.

That was my thought as well, and yes, if your crimp die is cracked, it probably needs to take a one way trip to the trash, as loading ammunition is not something to be taken lightly.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

if your crimp die is cracked, it probably needs to take a one way trip to the trash

No it's stuck between station 1 (decapping) and 2 (where the new primer is placed), so I think it's not harmful but I'll wait and see what the Dillon-folks think.

I've made another photo (it's hard to get the camera there and still be able to get it focused) and I'm convinced my press is not cracked!

There are some hairlines that look like cracks when you zoom in, but those lines are also visible at the other stations, zo I'm not worried and I'll leave the bullet where it is.

BTW, the updated photo is in my original first post.

It doesn't interfere with it's normal functioning and I guess that I might damage the aluminum if I try to pry it out, what do you guys think of it?

G'day mate, I just happen to work with stuff like that where you get broken bits and pieces, especially decapitated stainless screws and bolts, but since you have a aluminium base to work around it makes it more difficult. Allas do not despair, for the piece you want out is led covered with copper. What I would do is this:

Fix the press securely where it won't move on you, then get a sharp punch marker. Locate the middle of the bullet and punch mark it. (the flat

side, or the back of the bullet)

Then get a small diameter e.g. 1-2mm long shank drill bit (sorry I,m not good with imperial measures) drill the marked point about 3/4 of the lenght of the bullet. Increase the bullet diameter and drill it out again,keep increasing the drill bit and repeat this until it is safe, (meaning, do not hurt the press ). You have two options here ;

1 As someone already mentioned to get a screw drive it in and gently wriggle it out.

2 This is what I would do (you will need a steady hand for this though) get a 6 or 8mm chisel for wood, and gently cut down where the cavity is between the 2 dies and the remaining bullet diagonally down as far as you can. if you do everything right the bullet will be cut in half and should collapse after cutting. Then use a long nose plier to dislodge the remaining bullet just like a dentist would, :devil: when he is pulling out your wisdom tooth. (at this stage some tapping might help from the opposite direction with an appropriate size wooden dowel).

Regards and good luck to you and to everyone on the forum villihun

I don't see powder burns on the bullet base, or rifling marks on the bullet, so you have that going for you......

If the press works and the bullet doesn't interfere with anything leave it alone. It is OK now, if you screw up some removal attempt it might not be OK after that.

I contacted Dillon and they think my press is not damaged and they also advise to leave the bullet also.

If the press is cracked and I start having problems, they'll replace the frame for shipping costs!

So I just keep making more ammo and I must say I'm very surprised about Dillon's offer: most companies would say 'you f*#ked up, so you'll pay'.......so they got another Dillon fan!