Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel City Tac Rifle Championship 3-29-08 - Bhm, AL

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the information and entry form for the Steel City 2008 Tactical Rifle Championship is posted on the Steel City website.http://www.scssa.org/ We're going to pre-register for this match so we can be ultra organized and make the most of our shooting day.

I've already started to get entries from some of the folks who picked them up at the match last Saturday.

In addition to an ultra fun 8 stage shooting extravaganza, you'll receive a match T-shirt with your entry if you pre-register. We're going to give plaque trophies for 1st - 3rd place in Tac Irons, Heavy Metal Optics and Heavy Metal Irons. 1st - 5th place plaques for Tac Optics (the most popular division). Also, lunch will be available at the range for a nominal price.

I've got feelers out to several vendors to round up some give aways to the shooters. We've got a $100.00 gift certificate from Trijicon in the pot already. I'll keep you posted on what we get. All prizes donated will be raffled off before and during the match.

This will be one match you won't want to miss! Please let me know if anyone's got any questions.

David Tapp

I think your gonna have a lot of people lost....

Isnt the steel city Pittsburgh ?

But I'll be baptized in sheepS#!T I just looked up Birmingham and low and behold it was founded as an industrial iron and steel center in fact it is the only place in the world with significant deposits of iron ore, coal, and limestone. The three main ingredients in steel.

I think your gonna have a lot of people lost....

Isnt the steel city Pittsburgh ?

But I'll be baptized in sheepS#!T I just looked up Birmingham and low and behold it was founded as an industrial iron and steel center in fact it is the only place in the world with significant deposits of iron ore, coal, and limestone. The three main ingredients in steel.

Good observation - Birmingham's nick name is "The Magic City" due to the steel ingredients. The city's moved on from the Steel Hay Day becoming a more service oriented economy.

The range name is a play on that, plus most of the matches are shot at steel figurines. Not this one though! We'll have a combo of cardbord and steel.

David

Edited by dt1

Debating whether I should do this match or the Double Tap in Tx. Any USPSA matches the next day in any of the surrounding clubs in AL or GA (I'd most likely be flying out of Atlanta) to get maximum trigger time out of the last weekend of spring break??

Debating whether I should do this match or the Double Tap in Tx. Any USPSA matches the next day in any of the surrounding clubs in AL or GA (I'd most likely be flying out of Atlanta) to get maximum trigger time out of the last weekend of spring break??

Not sure about other matches. We try to have this match on months with a 5th Saturday so we won't conflict with other regularly scheduled monthly matches.

I can assure you you'll get max trigger time with your rifle at our match. Hope to see you there.

David

Damn, I will be at Mesa for the SMM3G.

Of course. We planned it that way......................

We have them quarterly Kurt. The one in March will be a bit more elaborate, but they're all fun. Hope you'll be able to make one soon. Maybe you can stop by Huntsville on your way in and pick up Jeff C and bring him along.

Take Care,

David

Edited by dt1

If you are on the fence where to go, go to the Steel City Match. I was just there the last weekend of December and this is a Disney Land type facility with a wonderful group of shooters. I can not wait to get back.

Thanks for your kind words on the range and on the match Charles. It was nice to have you over to shoot with us last weekend.

Hope you'll be able to make it to the March match.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update on the prize giveaways: Smith & Wesson has donated an M&P .40 caliber pistol to the match. Still working on additional items to raffle off to the shooters.

We're 1/4 full after a couple of weeks of taking pre-registrations.

Thanks, hope to see everyone there in March.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Do you allow range carts to transport the rifle and gear? I didn't see it in the rules and just wanted to be sure.

As Randal said, carts are no problem. We're going to get to use one of the other 100yd bays in addition to our usual stuff so there'll be a little more "moving about" than normal and a cart might come in handy. Of course you can drive around to the other ranges if you want, whichever is more convenient for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was an awesome match and I hope David and crew continue to have these. It went smooth with no more than the normal hiccups associated with any type of match of this caliber. The stages were challenging and fun. David is very receptive to ideas to better improve the match in the future and I can only expect the next one to be twice as good and sell out twice as fast. I must say......for his first attempt at putting together such a large match it was a major success. The Steel City facilites are excellent and continuously improving and made a great host for this match. I hope they continue to allow these competitions as well in the near future. I heard no one say they had a bad time. Congrats to all the Match winners!!! :cheers:

Especially my buddy,cop,and team mate Joe Satterfield aka Whiskey1 for his first major to him match win in Tac Irons.

Edited by 00bullitt

Man, what a match. David, you guys did an awesome job. What a blast! The stage design and courses of fire challenged everyone. Two of them were especially humbling for yours truly. BTW, sorry I shot your car. See you next time.

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you enjoyed the match! I think we reached our "high water mark" for a one day format from a capacity standpoint.

The hard working volunteers and RO's really made things go smooth beyond my expectations and have my sincere gratitude.

Already thinking about next year's big one, more stages, possible 2 day format etc. I'll keep you posted on the details.

We'll continue to have our "regular" rifle matches on months with a 5th Saturday.

Gotta go, the co-match director is wanting a little quality time..............

David

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you enjoyed the match! I think we reached our "high water mark" for a one day format from a capacity standpoint.

The hard working volunteers and RO's really made things go smooth beyond my expectations and have my sincere gratitude.

Already thinking about next year's big one, more stages, possible 2 day format etc. I'll keep you posted on the details.

We'll continue to have our "regular" rifle matches on months with a 5th Saturday.

David

David,

Next time you need help with a prize table let me know. You saw what mine looked like, I thought it was pretty impressive. It could have been even better if I'd had a little more help from the other match directors, but all in all it was pretty good. Every single shooter got something from the prize table and most of them were worth more than the $150.00 entry fee, one worth 20 times that!!!

David

David,

Next time you need help with a prize table let me know. You saw what mine looked like, I thought it was pretty impressive. It could have been even better if I'd had a little more help from the other match directors, but all in all it was pretty good. Every single shooter got something from the prize table and most of them were worth more than the $150.00 entry fee, one worth 20 times that!!!

Thanks Bobby, yes your table was very impressive and I could certainly use some help from you the next time around. One thing I learned is that I've got to delegate more next time. We had over 100 shooters and everyone got something, but it was pretty helter skelter. This was my first attempt at putting together a prize table so you can imagine the learning curve.

I'm sure I feel like you did a few weeks ago...ready to shoot someone else's match.

Thanks again and please plan to come over and shoot with us soon. This rifle match really is a hoot!

David