Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Year's Resolutions

With the arrival of the New Year it's time once again to set our goals for the forthcoming shooting season. Very soon the first matches of the year will commence (though not likely in frozen Colorado). So what does everyone have for a goal for shooting this year. Pick the one thing that you hope to have achieved by the end of 2008.

For me it's this;

To be more driven in my shooting, to get my enthusiasm and focus back for USPSA matches.

For too long I've allowed external factors to influence my enjoyment, too much negative focus on work and personal issues has harmed my sport. I want to get out of my current home and job and into a better environment that will allow me the funds and time to attend some bigger matches. I want to combine this new found love of shooting with photography and my writing.

Personally, I'm trying a different approach. Haven't touched my gun since 12/18. Don't know if a little break will help, but sometimes I feel like I'm putting far more into this than I'm getting out. Goals this year are mostly centered around physical fitness...

I am in the same boat- haven't touched my gun since 12-2-07 other than cleaning and dinking around. I will be beginning to dryfire again this week. The first big match of the season is in about a month. So I better get crackin'!

2008 Goal (the main one):

Improve my mental game.

- My physical skills were up to par last year, but had some mental breakdowns creating poor stage performances. Errors and just plain not knowing the stage cost me a bunch. Like not paying enough attention to round/target count and other specific stage details. Not to mention just plain loosing my bearing from time to time! I need to clean up the non-shooting stuff.

I plan to stick to my time map this year. I'm tired of focusing only on the current emergency. What that generally means is that I never get time to do the things I want to do because it gets bumped by some current "to do" item. Whomever said time and space are related was right. If you think of time being like a closet, you only have space for so many things. And like a closet, you can fit more items in only if it is organized - pants here, shirts there, a shoe rack on the floor, etc. Sure, I'll still get the "crisis" item thrown at me. But instead of doing it right then and there, I will have a time slot to do it in and will be able to continue on track. If you've never tracked how you use your time, it's an eye opener.

post-4300-1199293997.jpg

I plan to stick to my time map this year. I'm tired of focusing only on the current emergency. What that generally means is that I never get time to do the things I want to do because it gets bumped by some current "to do" item. Whomever said time and space are related was right. If you think of time being like a closet, you only have space for so many things. And like a closet, you can fit more items in only if it is organized - pants here, shirts there, a shoe rack on the floor, etc. Sure, I'll still get the "crisis" item thrown at me. But instead of doing it right then and there, I will have a time slot to do it in and will be able to continue on track. If you've never tracked how you use your time, it's an eye opener.

post-4300-1199293997.jpg

I admire your organizational abilities....

My resolutions are to be more tolerant, more subtle and less irratating to others...Nah...already broke two of the three...ain't telling which ones though...but I will work on it.. :cheers:

I am trying to give up nicotine...and plan to take up alcohol :blink:

Jim

Brilliant minds run in the same channels...I had a great Cohiba last night while drinking some great Single Malt....OH you said you were giving up one of those...well, someone has to take up the slack. :lol: